PDA

View Full Version : The Destructionist (base class)

Kalessin
2007-01-23, 01:44 PM
The Destructionist.

HD:d6
Skills:Cocentration(con), diplomacy(cha), gather information (cha), spot(wis), listen (wis), intimidate (cha), craft (int), profession (wis), use magic device (cha)
Skill points per level: 4+int (x4 on first level)
Alignement:any chaotic
{table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1|+0|+0|+0|+2|Destructive blast(1d6)
2|+1|+0|+0|+3|DR2/magic; Enfeebling destruction
3|+2|+1|+1|+3|Destructive blast (2d6)
4|+3|+1|+1|+4|Improved Enfeebling destruction
5|+3|+1|+1|+4|Destructive blast (3d6)
6|+4|+2|+2|+5|Blastsphere
7|+5|+2|+2|+5|Destructive blast (4d6)
8|+6/+1|+2|+2|+6|Crushing will; Greater Enfeebling Destruction
9|+6/+1|+3|+3|+6|Destructive blast(5d6; 70ft)
10|+7/+2|+3|+3|+7|Couragebasher
11|+8/+3|+3|+3|+7|Destructive blast(6d6)
12|+9/+4|+4|+4|+8|Crux 1/day
13|+9/+4|+4|+4|+8|Destructive blast (7d6)
14|+10/+5|+4|+4|+9|DR4/magic
15|+11/+6/+1|+5|+5|+9|Destructive blast (8d6)
16|+12/+7/+2|+5|+5|+10|Crux 2/day
17|+12/+7/+2|+5|+5|+10|Destructive blast (9d6; 90ft)
18|+13/+8/+3|+6|+6|+11|Painlord
19|+14/+9/+4|+6|+6|+11|Destructive blast (10d6)
20|+15/+10/+5|+6|+6|+10|Utter destruction; Crux 3/day [/table]

Proficiencys:Simple weapons, Light armour, no shields.
Destructive blast: The Destructionist can make thin air explosive. Target being in 50ft is hurt by the explosion. The range of the explosion increases byt 20ft on the 9th and 17th level. The target is entitled to a Reflex save (DC 10+Destructionist level+Cha modifier), if the save is made, the damage is halved.It takes a standard action to use this ability.
Damage Reduction: Mastering the arts of destruction, the Destructionist has learned how to protect himself from damage.
Enfeebling destruction: The Destructionist makes a touchattack agains the target. If she succeedes, the target is dealt 2d4 damage and if the target does not make the Fortitude save (DC 10+Destructionist levels+Cha modifier), it is stunned for 2 rounds. It takes a standard action to use this ability. It is usable 1/day+ Cha modifier.
Improved enfee.bling destruction:As Enfeebling destruction, bu the damage dealt is 3d4, and the target is stunned for 4 rounds. It is useable 2/day+Cha modifier.
Blastsphere:In 5ft of the Destructionist, everything is knocked back 15ft. Everything is dealt 1d8 damage, Fortitide save half (DC10+Destructionist levels+Cha modifier).It takes a standard action to use this ability. It is useable 1/2 Destructionist levels/day.
Greater enfeebling destruction:As Enfeebling destruction, but the damage dealt is 4d4, and the target is stunned for 6 rounds. It is useable 3/day+Cha modifier.
Crushing will:Target within 30ft suffers extreme pain. The subject falls prone if it doesn't make the Will save (DC 10+Destructionist levels+Cha modifier). The Destructionist is allowed to comcentrste as a standard action, to keep the pain, and the target is allowed a Will save every round to come out of the pain. But the DC of the save is increased by 2 for every round the subject is in pain. It takes a standard action to use this ability.
Couragebasher:one creature within 40ft flees in fear for 3 rounds and +1 round for every 3 they missed the DC with. If the target makes the save, it becomes shaken for 3 rounds. After that, the target is exhausted for the rest of the encounter. It takes a standard action to use this ability.
Crux: Target damaged by Destructive blast falls prone for one round. The target is dealt an extra 2d4 damage. Fort negates (DC 10+Destructionist levels+Cha modifier). At 12th level it is useable 1/day, at 16th level 2/day, at 20th level 3/day.
Painlord:Every attack made by the Destructionis makes a bleeding wound. The target loses 3d6 HP every round for 1d4+Cha modifier rounds. After 8 rounds of bleeding the target becomes fatigued, after 11 rounds, exhausted.
Utter destruction Everything in a 10ft ring, centering on the Destructionist is destroyed. Livin beings are under the effect of the spell Power word kill.

This is my first base class, so please, when you see something bad, also suggest what should be done about it.

Jibar
2007-01-23, 01:55 PM
I'm not much for balance, but since it's a baseclass and all...some fluff please?
Like, why can this guy make stuff explode?

Kalessin
2007-01-23, 02:08 PM
Well, I can't post the fluff now, 'cause I'm still writing it. But soon. And could anyone post comments on the mechanics too.

Quellian-dyrae
2007-01-23, 02:38 PM
As far as general mechanics go, save DCs for class abilities are typically 10 + 1/2 level + ability modifier for base classes (10+level+mod for PrC's).

A few of the abilities look pretty overpowered. Utter destruction is basically duplicating a 9th level spell, only better (since it affects multiple targets) which makes it a bit much even for a 20th level ability; I would suggest changing it from Power Word Kill to basically a Disintegrate effect, only no touch attack required. That way a save is allowed, it still destroys non-living matter in the area, and it works effectively on undead and other non-living creatures.

Painlord strikes me as devastating. 3d6 damage per round, with a save, would be fair for an ability usable a few times a day. Allowing it every attack, no save...I mean, most of the battles I run don't last for many rounds anyway, but still, that's massive damage potential. Two weapon fighting destructionist...scary thought.

I wonder a bit about how early you get enfeebling destruction. I mean, I guess it really isn't that much stronger than, say, color spray against a low-level foe, but against decent-level opponents it is pretty strong for a 2nd/4th level ability. Maybe make it 1 round stun per four class levels?

I'm also unsure of the skill selection. Without descriptions, I can't be certain, but this class doesn't sound like a paragon of social graces, and as useful as spot and listen may be, they're pretty odd skills for a magic-heavy class in general and one based on destruction in particular. I'd suggest removing Spot, Listen, Diplomacy, and Gather Information, but adding in Spellcraft and Knowledge (Arcana), and changing skill points to 2.

All in all, the class has potential. You can probably make it stronger overall if you weaken some of the individual abilities.

cferejohn
2007-01-23, 03:16 PM
I agree that Painlord is too powerful. You could: limit the uses/day, not allow it to stack (if you are hit by a second attack while already bleeding, it has no effect/does not add to the total bleed time), or allow a Fort save. Certainly a Heal check or a cure spell should stop the bleeding.

<Edit to remove. I reed gud>

It seems a little boring to play. What do do each round of combat is going to be really obvious 90% of the time. That's not really a balance issue I suppose. Sorcerer and Warlock have much the same problem.

Quellian-dyrae
2007-01-23, 03:33 PM
I think destructive blast only affects a single target within 50'.

jlousivy
2007-01-23, 03:53 PM
I'd space enfeebling destruction improvements to the same spaces rage does for barbarian, i'd also make destructive blast either A: aoe (10 ft diameter) or B: a touch attack (with a 1/2 bab not 3/4) but if you choose B that will kinda take warlocks flavor away

how many times/day for utter destruction? i agree with someone above that seems way too powerful, i'd say that was high lvl epic or lower diety powerfull

crushing will and courage basher x/day?

and i agree painlord seems a little too powerful as well

namely i like the class idea, i sorta see it as like the anti-god
gods create.... and he just loves destroying it all! i'd definitely see this as a vile human BBEG's cohort

Roderick_BR
2007-01-23, 04:36 PM
It looks more like a PrC. Anyway. How many times a day you can explode stuff?
It's an area effect? Utter Destruction has only one problem: If a living creature has enough Hit Points, he'll escape unscratched from it. Better make it once a day you can use a blast with full damage (like a maximized Fireball)
Btw, what kind of damage is it?
And as people said, what's the fluff? Magic? Ki? Alchemical potions? Too much chilli? How he explodes stuff? He gestures, shots something. Thinks and things go boom?