PDA

View Full Version : Rules/Options for better made ice?

flamewolf393
2014-01-18, 04:33 PM
I using a character that can completely control water and ice. The problem is that by RaW, ice is ridiculously weak. Is there anyway to make ice stronger, or other types of fortified ice that I can use?

KillianHawkeye
2014-01-18, 04:52 PM
I think there was a special kind of ice in Frostburn. I forget the details, but I think it was strong enough that you could make weapons and armor out of it.

Forrestfire
2014-01-18, 04:55 PM
Ice Assassins and Simulacra :smallwink:

More seriously, if you're using ice spells, there's Piercing Cold, which is Searing Spell for ice. Can I have some more information on what "complete control of water and ice" means?

Deaxsa
2014-01-18, 05:11 PM
I think there was a special kind of ice in Frostburn. I forget the details, but I think it was strong enough that you could make weapons and armor out of it.

Blue Ice
(descriptive, i know)
There's also rimefire ice (which glows.. nifty). It also sublimes above 40 degrees. Blue Ice does not, nor does it melt. It doesn't even list a melting point. It also has properties similar to mithral.

flamewolf393
2014-01-18, 05:12 PM
More seriously, if you're using ice spells, there's Piercing Cold, which is Searing Spell for ice. Can I have some more information on what "complete control of water and ice" means?

My character is basically a combo water/air bender. I use a chi pool to shape and control water, air, and ice to any shape I desire, and form many offensive spell like effects with it. I do not use actual spells.

Slipperychicken
2014-01-18, 05:38 PM
You could try to form Pykrete (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pykrete) from ice and wood pulp.

Pykrete is a composite material made of approximately 14 percent sawdust or some other form of wood pulp (such as paper) and 86 percent ice by weight (6 to 1 by weight). Its use was proposed during World War II by Geoffrey Pyke to the British Royal Navy as a candidate material for making a huge, unsinkable aircraft carrier. Pykrete has some interesting properties, notably its relatively slow melting rate (because of low thermal conductivity), and its vastly improved strength and toughness over ice; it is closer in form to concrete.
Pykrete is slightly more difficult to form than concrete, as it expands during the freezing process. However, it can be repaired and maintained using seawater. The mixture can be moulded into any shape and frozen, and it will be extremely tough and durable, as long as it is kept at or below freezing

Also if you're in 1920's avatar universe (with all the robots and such), use newspaper instead of sawdust: Mythbusters tried this and it was even stronger than normal Pykrete.

Granted, there aren't any game rules for Pykrete, so you could probably use concrete stats or something.

flamewolf393
2014-01-18, 11:54 PM
You could try to form Pykrete (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pykrete) from ice and wood pulp.

Also if you're in 1920's avatar universe (with all the robots and such), use newspaper instead of sawdust: Mythbusters tried this and it was even stronger than normal Pykrete.

Granted, there aren't any game rules for Pykrete, so you could probably use concrete stats or something.

Standard d&d setting. Just using a class that is basically a bender. Pykrete is apparently too advanced for us.