PDA

View Full Version : Some Ebberon Paragon Classes

Prophet_of_Io
2014-01-18, 05:47 PM
I'm running a campaign that has a few new players in it (2 out of 5) so I'm limiting everyones classes to the PHB and the races to the PHB plus Shifters and Changelings. It's kind of a crash course in D&D since it's to prepare actors for a role. Anywho, it's starting at lv 6 and one of the characters desperately wants to be a a Changeling Chameleon (Rouge 5/Chameleon 1) but I'm not sure she'll have the abilities she wants to enjoy the character.

That in mind I decided to homebrew a Changeling Paragon class that better mimics races in the way a Chameleon mimics Class features. And while I was at it I threw in a Shifter one too in case I wanted to make some Elite Shifter NPC's.

Changeling Paragon
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+0|+0|+0|+0|Shape Change Aptitude, Natural Deceiver

2nd|+1|+0|+0|+0|Imitate Language 1/day, Rogue Abilities

3rd|+2|+1|+1|+1|Ability boost (Racial)[/table]

Shape Change Aptitude: When using the Minor Shape Change class feature a Changeling can also mimic one of the racial features of the race she has changed into. For instance when Mimicking an Elf you may select Low-Light vision or their racial bonus to listen, search and spot checks. You can use this ability a number of times equal to your class level. You can select multiple abilities a day but only one at a time. When switching between multiple abilities of one race you are requires to change back into a changeling and use an additional use of this ability when changing back. The effects of this ability last until you change into another form.

Natural Deceiver: A changeling paragon is exceptionally skilled at the art of deceit. Their racial bonus to bluff, intimidate and sense motive is increased to +4.

Imitate Language: Once per day when confronted by a race using their racial language, a changeling paragon currently imitating that same race may use their keen understanding of linguistics to bluff their way through a conversation. This ability lasts only while you are surrounded by two or more creatures of the same race, both speaking the language and is usable only once a day.

Rogue Abilities: A Changeling Paragon has the special abilities of a rogue of one level higher. This ability does not grant the new abilities to the class, nor does it effect BAB or saves but a changeling paragon with levels in rogue functions with class abilities one higher than normal.

Ability boost: A number of times per day equal to her class level a Changeling can now adapt the ability changes of a race she imitates with her Minor Shape Change ability. This uses her own base abilities coupled with both the boosts and boons of the race she imitates. This does not effect class abilities like Spells per day unless they were prepared in the form that would effect them, and even then they are lost if you change form and can't be recovered by changing back.

Shifter Paragon
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |
Spellcasting

1st|+1|+2|+2|+0|Elite Shifting, Athletic Prowess|
---

2nd|+2|+3|+3|+0|Improved Shifting|
+1 of Druid Class

3rd|+3|+3|+3|+1|Ability boost|
---[/table]

Elite Shifting: Shifter paragons are the elite amongst shifters. You gain the Elite shifter feat based on their shifter trait (ex: Cliffwalk trait would gain the Cliffwalk Elite feat). If there is no Elite feat for the trait you selected you may instead select a shifter feat for which you qualify.

Athletic Prowess: Shifter paragons are the height of physical abilities. Their racial bonus to balance, climb and jump from +2 to +4.

Improved Shifting: A shifter paragon may use his shifting class feature twice a day for a number of rounds equal to 5 plus his constitution modifier (instead of the normal 3+con mod) as if they had two extra shifter feats. (really this is 6+con mod with the additional feat from 1st level)

Spells per Day: At 2nd level, an shifter paragon gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in druid. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (wild shape, and so on). This essentially means that she adds the level of shifter paragon to her level in druid, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly.
If an shifter paragon has no levels in druid, this class feature has no effect.

Ability boost: A shifter gets a permanent boost to the ability score determined by her shifter trait. So a shifter with the Gorebrute trait would add +2 to strength while a Dreamsight shifter would add +2 to wisdom. This does not replace the bonus granted to that ability when shifting.

Now my wording on some of the abilities is a little off so I'd appreciate assistance on them. I have seen other versions of these paragon class but didn't love any of them. I'm trying to keep with what makes these races appealing while keeping them true to the paragon formula. Suggestions appreciated.

T.G. Oskar
2014-01-19, 01:20 AM
The way Paragon classes work, they usually directly improve the racial features of the class. Very rarely do you see them granting a new class feature, and usually it's either a bonus feat or spellcasting progression fixed to one class.

That said: aside from removing the Rogue Abilities feature, the Changeling is pretty dead on. You improve their social skills, their talent at speaking (tied to their transformation abilities), and even let them gain one of the skills of the races it can transform. I could see Change Shape Aptitude gone, since despite the limited uses it can be exploitable (for example: turn into a Crucian, gain its massive natural armor bonus to AC; also, flight!). It could easily be a 3rd level ability, though. Rogue Abilities is too wide and too restrictive a language; you get the benefits relative to ONE Rogue level, and since you end up with 3 levels spent, unless you sacrifice the last level you don't gain full Sneak Attack. Might as well decide to give them Sneak Attack instead. As for the Ability Score increase...I like the idea, but it's difficult to implement, and they're well set to Charisma, so I wouldn't mind if they get Charisma, but a better way to implement the skill is "whenever you morph, you gain a +2 bonus to a single physical ability score (Strength, Dexterity, Constitution). The ability score you improve must be one improved by the race (for example, Constitution for a dwarf or Dexterity for an elf), and you may only choose one ability score to improve." This is because all polymorph effects only improve physical, not mental, ability scores (save for Baleful Polymorph, but that's only if you fail the save to retain your consciousness). If it's too complex, give it a flat +2 to Charisma and make it a day.

As for Shifters, a better language for Improved Shifting would be "for every level you take on Shifter Paragon, the duration of your shifting increases by 1. At 2nd level, you may shift one more time per day." This feels like a much natural progression, and is only slightly better than yours (3 rounds of shifting over 2). Also, the favored class for a Shifter is Ranger, not Druid, so they should advance Ranger spellcasting (if they have it); Paragon classes advance spellcasting depending on their favored class.