PDA

View Full Version : Half-Dead

Ever Phasm
2007-01-23, 02:50 PM
I have had an idea for a new spin on necromancy and would like some good criticism.

Half-Dead A new type, similar to undead but still technically alive. halfdead creatures will predominantly be templates but could very well be monsters.

Half-dead: Half-Dead are still living creatures kept alive by dark unnatural forces.

Features a halfdead has the following features
-10-sided Hit Dice
-Base-attack bonus equal to 1/2 total Hit Dice (as wizard)
-Good Fort saves
-Skill points equal to (4 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Dice with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Dice. Creatures with no intelligence score gain no skill points.

Traits: A halfdead creature has the following traits (unless otherwise noted in the creatures entry)
-Darkvision 60ft
-Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns and morale effects)
-Unlike undead, halfdead are subject todeath from massive damage and critical hits.
-Cannot heal damage on its own if it has no intelligence score.
-Proficient with natural weapons, all simple weapons and any weapons mentioned in its entry.
-Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium or heavy) it is described as wearing, as well as lighter types. Half-dead not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. half dead are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any type of armor.
-Half-dead do not breathe eat or sleep

Rierdrex
2007-01-23, 03:01 PM
It seems to permit the classic "a necromancer decided to play with my organs" type of creature/character. It's also a nice way, I think, to introduce characters to a conspiracy about undeads. The numerous skill points are a bit peculiar, though, undead usually having little or no skill points. Maybe add a line saying that creatures without an intelligence score have no skill points? Also, criticism would be easier to give on a template, rather than a type, I believe. I'd be interested in seeing what templates will come out of this idea if you post any.

Ever Phasm
2007-01-23, 03:15 PM
Undead have that many skill points. Template is being worked on. And should I up the hit die to d12's or not. I can't decide for my self.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-01-23, 03:44 PM
Undead have that many skill points. Template is being worked on. And should I up the hit die to d12's or not. I can't decide for my self.
Undead have 4+Int skill points.

Fredderf
2007-01-23, 05:12 PM
I would love to see some fluff on this. I have seen it done multiple times in different ways, but good fluff is hard to find on this topic. Hopefully more than the traditional "Umm... they are there because it is cool. They exist because... magic and stuff made them." Anybody have any good fluff for half-deads?

Ralasha
2007-01-23, 08:32 PM
Well Either Way in many respects they would still be like undead, but being neither dead/alive/undead. They could not be healed by any Magical Means... And Abilities like Turn/Rebuke Undead, and spells like Control Undead would have no affect. Thus an unintelligent one is unfeasible.
*Edit* However, since there is a difference in some versions between the damage done by healing/harming (supportive/offensive) spells Healing may be possible, Dependant upon if there is a difference... so either Negative or Possitive Energy Healing spells may heal/hurt for half?
*Edit* Perhaps based upon the Half-deads Alignment?

Ever Phasm
2007-01-23, 08:44 PM
This is the template. I had intended for some to be turnable but they have turn resistance equal to twice their level (because they are still alive)

HALFDEAD
CREATING A HALFDEAD
“Halfdead” is an acquired template that can be added to any corporeal creature (other than undead or halfdead) with an intelligence score of 4 or higher and evil alignment that is near death and mortally afraid of it (referred to hearafter as the base creature).
Size and Type: The creature’s type changes to halfdead. It retains any subtype except for alignment subtypes (such as good) and subtypes that indicate kind. It does not gain the augmented subtype. It uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.
Hit Dice: Drop any Hit Dice gained from class levels (to a minimum of 1) and raise remaining Hit Dice to d10s. If the creature has more than 20 Hit Dice, it can’t be made into a halfdead by any non-epic means.
Speed: If the base creature can fly, its manoeuvrability rating drops to clumsy.
Armour Class: Natural armour bonus increases depending on size.
Tiny or smaller +0
Small +1
Medium or Large +2
Huge +3
Gargantuan +6
Colossal +10
Attacks: A skeleton retains all the natural weapons, manufactured weapon attacks, and weapon proficiencies of the base creature. In addition the half-dead (providing its anatomy allows it) gains a slam attack. A slam attack deals damage depending on the halfdead’s size. (Use the base creature’s slam damage if it’s better.)
Fine 1
Diminutive 1d2
Tiny 1d3
Small 1d4
Medium 1d6
Large 1d8
Huge 2d6
Gargantuan 2d8
Colossal 4d6
Special Attacks: A Halfdead creature retains all supernatural and extraordinary special attacks of the base creature.
Special Qualities: A Halfdead creature retains all extraordinary special qualities of the base creature.
Aura of fear: An unnatural presence surrounds half-dead. All hostile creatures within thirty feet of it must make a will save (DC: 10+cha modifier) or become shaken for as long as they are within thirty feet.
Saves: Base save bonuses are Fort +1/2HD +2, Ref +1/3 HD, Will +1/3 HD,
Abilities: A Halfdead’s Strength and Charisma score increases by +2, Its constitution Increases by -2.
Environment: any
Alignment: any evil
Advancement: (as base creature)
Level Adjustment: +3

Ever Phasm
2007-01-23, 08:46 PM
Half-dead can only be made out of living and willing creatures. Are held together by their own malice and fear of death. They make great villains or servants of dark lords.

They are NOT meant for PC's.

Fizban
2007-01-23, 09:18 PM
I suggest half-dead be to undead as living construct is to construct. That is, a subtype of the original, that removes many of the differences from standard living creatures. That way it could be for PC's.

Ralasha
2007-01-23, 09:58 PM
It could be for PC's anyway, but could only heal naturally, and since half-dead is half-living, undead is not proper, next: They -would- have a con, and if their mind was gone (0 Int) then they would just be undead... Since like undead they would have no capability for decision making, and no will of their own, but at the same time would still not be controlable... probably running on instinct... and acting as a standard zombie.

Ever Phasm
2007-01-24, 12:42 PM
I suggest half-dead be to undead as living construct is to construct. That is, a subtype of the original, that removes many of the differences from standard living creatures. That way it could be for PC's.

That is a good idea but what i meant was...

They are Not Meant for Good Aligned PC's.

This does not mean they don't have to be for NPC's only just that by nature they are Evil.

Also, I was thinking of (being partially dead and all), able to be turned and rebuked but as an undead with twice their current hit dice. So a 1st level hafdead human warrior would be turned/rebuked as a 2nd level undead creature.

I will wait for opinion on this before making the changes to the template and type.

Kevka Palazzo
2007-01-24, 01:04 PM
Wasn't something like this in the Libris Mortis? Or am I just insane?

EDIT: Also, what's wrong with good-aligned undead? Especially if they were the victim of "a necromancer played with my organs"?

Closet_Skeleton
2007-01-24, 01:50 PM
Wasn't something like this in the Libris Mortis? Or am I just insane?

There's a half-vampire template but it doesn't affect your type. Palemaster makes just under a quarter of you dead but that was in Tomb and Blood wa-ay earlier.

I would personally make it a subtype and let it apply to anything. Like Animal [halfdead] or Humanoid [elf, halfdead] or something slighty cooler...

Ralasha
2007-01-24, 02:02 PM
But the problem is, just because you are half dead, doesn't mean you'll be evil...

Ever Phasm
2007-01-24, 04:37 PM
You see I believe that becomeing a halfdead can only be done on a willing creature and involves a dreadful fear and hate of death. When you become halfdead that same fear and hate that lead you down the path to halfdead became fused into your mutilated body. You now hate and despise all living things because of your hate and fear in life.

So in the game...

You could be good and simply be paranoid about death and then become a halfdead and be your own living nightmare.

Given enough time... your evil.

Ralasha
2007-01-25, 02:32 AM
Given enough time... so perhaps the alignment and mentality of the templated subject would change with time? Not to mention most Spellcasters are cautious of altering themselves without testing and perfecting the process first, so if anything goes wrong, they do not end up with those flaws, and such a creature would not be capable of becoming half-dead without some intelligence.

*edit* Also it could be good, just as a lich can, with the template Good Lich, or the very weak version of a vampire atoning for it's sins. Even though both are extremely rare, they do exist.

Ralasha
2007-01-29, 10:34 AM
bump
Don't want this to die.

Inyssius Tor
2007-01-31, 05:09 PM
I really don't see why you need to be evil. So: you hate death, you fear death, you are willing to do anything to avoid the very concept of death; then you agree to become dead and suddenly you hate life?
It seems like there's a bit of a concept switch there; a hatred of death isn't really the same thing as a hatred of life (in the same way as a hatred of the color blue doesn't naturally extend into a hatred of all colors).

EDIT: I like the basic idea, though (a nearly-dead character basically just existing by fear of death).

Ashheart
2007-02-02, 09:47 AM
Concerning the fluff of this template...I was wondering if you have seen the movie: The Cronicals of Riddick.
The BBEG in the movie is called a Half-Dead and was a sort of half-wraith who could grab other people's souls right out of there bodies...

Doesn't really add anything to the discussion but I was just wondering if you'd gotten your insperation there.

Yuki Akuma
2007-02-02, 10:02 AM
Maybe add a line saying that creatures without an intelligence score have no skill points?

Erm. Creatures with no Intelligence have no skills points anyway.

Ralasha
2007-02-07, 02:14 PM
I really don't see why you need to be evil. So: you hate death, you fear death, you are willing to do anything to avoid the very concept of death; then you agree to become dead and suddenly you hate life?
It seems like there's a bit of a concept switch there; a hatred of death isn't really the same thing as a hatred of life (in the same way as a hatred of the color blue doesn't naturally extend into a hatred of all colors).

EDIT: I like the basic idea, though (a nearly-dead character basically just existing by fear of death).

YAY!!! Someone making sense... *nod nod*