PDA

View Full Version : [PF] I want to dual wield Quarterstaves

zindane2000
2014-01-18, 09:14 PM
I've got a player who's considering going titan mauler barb+Wood Oracle+Rage prophet. Yes, we know many of the class features don't work by RAW as intended. That's not the point here.

The point is, if you dual wield double weapons, can you two-weapon fight your double weapons? It would be a ridiculous number of (terrible) attacks, but would the two weapon fighting work out this way?

EDIT: Also what happens when you put speed on both ends of a double weapon? Speed normally doesn't stack with similar effects, but they're different weapons...so...?

Kudaku
2014-01-18, 09:21 PM
The quarterstaff master feat would let you use a staff as a one-handed weapon without taking levels in Titan Mauler.

That said, I doubt RAW you can get more attacks by wielding two double weapons.

Metahuman1
2014-01-18, 09:40 PM
I don't know if it works RAW, but I'd allow it.

And speed on both ends of a double weapon get's you 1 extra attack for each end last I checked, though I admit it's been some time.

Yanisa
2014-01-19, 07:04 AM
I've got a player who's considering going titan mauler barb+Wood Oracle+Rage prophet. Yes, we know many of the class features don't work by RAW as intended. That's not the point here.

The point is, if you dual wield double weapons, can you two-weapon fight your double weapons? It would be a ridiculous number of (terrible) attacks, but would the two weapon fighting work out this way?

EDIT: Also what happens when you put speed on both ends of a double weapon? Speed normally doesn't stack with similar effects, but they're different weapons...so...?

For as much as I liked and wanted to support this idea:

Double Weapons: A character can fight with both ends of a double weapon as if fighting with two weapons, but he incurs all the normal attack penalties associated with two-weapon combat, just as though the character were wielding a one-handed weapon and a light weapon. The character can also choose to use a double weapon two-handed, attacking with only one end of it. A creature wielding a double weapon in one hand can't use it as a double weapon—only one end of the weapon can be used in any given round.]
Emphasis mine, duh.

Rules say you cant, aaaawh. Sorry for bring the bad news. :smallfrown:

As for the speed question, it's semi debatable, but a strict reading says Speed doesn't stack with similar effects. One would assume Speed is a similar effect to Speed.
Then again one could easily argue that "similar effect" is not "the same effect"... Pffft semantics.
I would allow it, but I dunno if its RAW or RAI...

grarrrg
2014-01-19, 09:30 AM

FAQ (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9qpr)

Speed Weapons: Can I get two extra attacks per round if I dual-wield two speed weapons?

No. The benefits of speed are not cumulative with similar effects, and "a second speed weapon" is a similar effect.

So in the case of Double-Dual-Speed weapons, you get to choose _1_ for an extra attack.