PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Magus Build

Melil13
2014-01-18, 10:20 PM
Magus 12 Myrmidarch/Staff Magus

STR: 14 DEX: 17 CON: 10 INT: 15 WIS: 10 CHA: 10
STR: 14 DEX: 18 CON: 10 INT: 16 WIS: 10 CHA: 10

Stat ups would bring dex to 18 and int to 16 with one floating ...

Feats:

Twf, Weapon Finesse
Arcane Strike
Point Blank Shot, Deadly Dealer
Precise Shot
Improved TWF
Rapid Shot

Acrana:
Wand Wielder
Arcane Edge
Arcane Accuracy

I have a few questions/concerns ... one do you need Rapid shot or do thrown weapons go off TWF? I am planning on switching b/w Staves and Thrown Weapons (Cards)

I only get 3 Arcana .... two of them i think are really necessary ... a level 3 one is hard to pick out.

How would you optimize this more? This is a cool build but how would you make it useful to a party.

PS: If this build in any way resembles any characters that come to mind it is totally quintessential ... a card throwing caster is a cool idea.

avr
2014-01-18, 10:36 PM
You can use TWF and/or rapid shot with thrown weapons, no problem there. I don't see quite how you intend to do meaningful damage with each hit though. Your arcane pool could add a little elemental damage but not a lot and a lot of things will be resistant to one or more of the damage types you can add.

If you're going to get Wand Wielder isn't Wand Mastery a must?

Melil13
2014-01-18, 10:46 PM
Myrmidarch allows you to channel Spell strike through ranged weapons.

Instead of Touch attacks its Ranged Touch Attack spells.
So Acid Arrow .. Scorching Ray ... ect ...

So do you use TWF or Rapid Shot ... I plan on also using a staff so if i dont need Rapid Shot well it frees a feat.

avr
2014-01-18, 11:05 PM
When you're using spellstrike you get just one attack; TWF or Rapid Shot won't matter. Since throwing cards without spells in them is the backup plan to your backup plan (staff w/spellstrike or spell combat > cards w/spellstrike > cards w/out spellstrike) you could easily drop Rapid Shot. TWF works with staff or cards both, keep that.

If you get Dazing Spell and a trait reducing the cost of metamagic on acid arrow your cards could get quite scary.

Melil13
2014-01-18, 11:08 PM
At 11th level, a myrmidarch using a multiple-target spell with this ability may deliver one ray or line of effect with each attack when using a full-attack action, up to the maximum allowed by the spell (in the case of ray effects). Any effects not used in the round the spell is cast are lost.

Do i need rapid shot/many shot?

avr
2014-01-18, 11:30 PM
OK, you've read Myrmidarch better than I have.

Let's see ... if you're using scorching ray at this level you get 3 bolts. BAB + TWF gets you 3 attacks (4 w/Imp TWF), you don't need Rapid Shot with that unless you want to keep one hand free of cards to hold a staff.

Are there other spells with more ranged touch attacks per casting which you might use instead?

Melil13
2014-01-18, 11:50 PM
I was actually thinking of using the staff and cards ...

But for ether spell strike or spell combat you need one hand free i believe.

So i figured if i am in melee i can Weapon Finesse and TWF with the staff.
If i am at ranged i can throw cards, i remember something about thrown weapons using TWF ... but i wasnt sure if i needed Rapid Shot.

Melil13
2014-01-18, 11:54 PM
Obviously top spells are going to be: Shocking Grasp for Spell combat with the quarter staff ... Acid arrow and Scorching Ray for ranged attacks.

I can even use Ray of Ice or Acid Orb for ranged attacks ... at low levels this is fine higher up i am going to want to use scorching ray.

My main limit will be on spells per day ... when you only get 5 spells in your slot and your split it makes it fairly difficult.

And once i am out of spells ... well then i am just throwing a 1d4 weapon or using a 1d6 staff ...

Thats why i took staff mastery ... so i can get a staff with some useful spells in it to use.