PDA

View Full Version : how to make the most out of super speed?

Deca4531
2014-01-19, 02:40 AM
I got it in my head to make a character modeled after the flash, but I find. Myself at a loss as to what real benefit super speed would give you. I know it can't affect your damage unless you charge but even then it dosent scale.

So can anyone suggests any good uses for super speed?

Fates
2014-01-19, 02:43 AM
Well, with Flyby Attack, you can be really friggin' annoying, insofar as you are basically impossible to actually fight in smaller combats, given a large enough area. Particularly good if you're a spellcaster. Pop in, cast a spell, pop out somewhere where the enemy can't reach you. It's all about using your environment.

EugeneVoid
2014-01-19, 02:43 AM
What does this post mean even
If you mean in D&D what can you do with speed?
The answer is Tornado Throw (I think that's it's name)

Look up Chuck E. Cheese

Nettlekid
2014-01-19, 02:44 AM
Maybe some variant of Jack B. Quick that runs around provoking AoOs and then strikes back with Karmic Strike and Robilar's Gambit?

But really I'd go with the Swordsage's Tornado Throw. Since you get +2 on your trip attempt for every 5 feet you move, you can soon get sky-high bonuses, which translates to sky highd6 damage when you hurl the enemy, and then run after them to throw them again. It'd be like the Flash running around an enemy to lift them on a small tornado, and then grabbing them and hurling them. Sorta like Mario does to Bowser in Super Mario 64.

EDIT: Darn, appropriately Swordsaged.

Forrestfire
2014-01-19, 03:03 AM
In 3.5, I think that the Flash is best modeled by a Swiftblade. Haste makes you run faster, but I think the more important ability is Innervated Speed, where you can burn prepared hastes to get a round of time stop by going so fast that everything else is frozen.

Also, ironically, time stop itself is super speed, although many seem to forget it:
In fact, you speed up so greatly that all other creatures seem frozen, though they are actually still moving at their normal speeds.

You could conceivably even pull off a something on-theme for superspeed punches, by using greater mighty wallop and a monk's belt.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-19, 03:05 AM
Pulling the flash and doing him proper justice takes a seriously cheesy combo. I mean seriously.

You need a dragonmark of your choice, mark of the dauntless from dragonmarked, and sanctum spell from complete arcane.

Take 16 levels of sorcerer, making sure to learn greater arcane fusion, celerity and lesser celerity.

Cast greater arcane fusion. For the 7th level or lower spell produced choose sanctum greater arcane fusion and for your fourth level or lower spell choose celerity or lesser celerity.

Thanks to mark of the dauntless you're immune to being dazed and the recursive loop setup by the greater arcane fusion gives you an arbitrary number of move and standard actions.

You are now the flash......... and a 16th level sorcerer. :smalleek:

Rubik
2014-01-19, 04:44 AM
What does this post mean evenwhat is this i don't even

The Insanity
2014-01-19, 05:08 PM
Win at tag (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN906F4R_B8)or play pranks on people (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1xDB8LFWQQ). Or be a super-hero. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAhIQjwQZdw)

Maginomicon
2014-01-19, 05:19 PM
The Skirmish ability of the Scout becomes really easy to use every round.

Flickerdart
2014-01-19, 05:29 PM
The Skirmish ability of the Scout becomes really easy to use every round.
Except not really, because going further than 10ft/rd (or 20ft with Improved Skirmish) does nothing, and still costs the same amount of actions for a character with speed of 30 ft/rd and a character with speed of 30000ft/rd.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-01-19, 05:39 PM
D'ya like homebrew? Normally I wouldn't ask, much less toot my own horn, but I made exactly that class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11922343#post11922343)a while back.

Skysaber
2014-01-19, 05:40 PM
Crypt Raider PrC in Ravenloft's Van Richten's Arsenal gets a special ability at first level to pick up items as a free action.

Since dropping is already a free action the combo, in conjunction with super speed, would allow you to pull of some amount of Flash-like tricks, like going around, picking up bricks, then dropping them (and their mortar) around an enemy to build a wall/dome around him.

You'd need really silly amounts of speed, though.

Maginomicon
2014-01-19, 05:40 PM
Also, I feel I should point out that although the momentum effect of having high speed on an attack makes sense, in reality there's no signficant increase for having a lot more speed anyway. The Mythbusters proved that by attaching a crossbow to car.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-19, 05:51 PM
Having a huge speed increases your jump checks and an exemplar can use jump checks instead of diplomacy...