PDA

View Full Version : Unintended Spell/Magic Item Uses

Osiris
2014-01-19, 08:34 AM
What spells have you used out of their intended purpose?

I've thought of the Baleful Switch- cast Disguise Self as that evil wizard in back commanding the army, cast Heightened Baleful Transposition and switch with him. The spell doesn't say it makes any visual effects, so suddenly your party beats on that wizard, inside a silence field, while you pretend to be him!

Any other silly spell uses- or wait, and silly spell OR MAGIC ITEM uses?
And NO I don't even WANT to see anything with Evards. DON'T.

Crake
2014-01-19, 09:09 AM
What spells have you used out of their intended purpose?

I've thought of the Baleful Switch- cast Disguise Self as that evil wizard in back commanding the army, cast Heightened Baleful Transposition and switch with him. The spell doesn't say it makes any visual effects, so suddenly your party beats on that wizard, inside a silence field, while you pretend to be him!

Any other silly spell uses- or wait, and silly spell OR MAGIC ITEM uses?
And NO I don't even WANT to see anything with Evards. DON'T.

Oh do I have some stories about succubi and evards... Anyway, that idea with baleful transposition doesn't seem like it's out of it's intended use, merely a creative use of the spell. Outside of intended use would be something like... iron heart surging the moon away because you're a lycanthrope.

137beth
2014-01-19, 09:25 AM
For long-distance intra-party communication, Scrying+Message covers a lot of uses of Sending, except that it is a level lower (for arcane casters), and has no word limit.

It takes longer to cast and has the limitation that the person you are pseudo-sending to has to be willing to fail their save, but it covers a lot of uses.