PDA

View Full Version : what would make a barbarian tribe?

Jgosse
2014-01-19, 09:25 AM
would every member be a barbarian or would it be a mix?
Barbarians for the dedicated warriors.expert for the skilled and craftsman. adept for the shaman is obvious.

maybe they should be a mix of barbarian and npc classes.
barbarian/commoner
barbarian/expert
barbarian/adept

gorilla-turtle
2014-01-19, 10:08 AM
It depends on your meaning for the word "Barbarian." It has multiple interpretations, as exemplified by the number of heroes whom could be used as examples of it that, while sharing in some characteristics, can be seen each in a different light.

*****-footing around the answer aside, you could have a tribe of characters that do not have a single level of the Barbarian Class in them: rogues and rangers for the hunters, fighters and warriors for the soldiers, adepts and druids for the shamans and leaders, and so on and so forth. The Barbarian Class is not a requirement for a tribal group of people any more so than the Samurai Class is a requirement for an honorable warrior who wields a katana.

Invader
2014-01-19, 10:36 AM
Barbarians for the dedicated warriors.expert for the skilled and craftsman. adept for the shaman is obvious.
barbarian/commodious ner
barbarian/expert
barbarian/adept

I would use warriors for most of the fighter types, maybe a couple with 1-3 levels of fighter for lieutenants and the chieftain or whatever you want to call him would have 4-6 levels of barbarian (all depending on the size of the overall tribe). Then like you said most would just be commoners with maybe a 3-5 lvl druid to fill the spiritual role.

Jgosse
2014-01-19, 12:04 PM
Ok I am specifically looking for barbarians in the sense of big burly warriors from the D&D relms. The idea is my players are in an area where there are 13 barbarian tribes and these tribes have a yearly gathering. so I need to have an idea of what these tribes should be composed of.

There should be little combat involved hear because instead of combat the intent is for lack of a better term Barbarian Olympics.

so I don't think having just the tribe leader would work well. also I think barbarian levels should be if not common not overly uncommon.

Flickerdart
2014-01-19, 12:17 PM
You can have a tribesman who has no barbarian levels at all, and a barbarian who was raised in a city and has never set foot outside civilization. The default fluff of classes is easily mutable.

For instance, the tribe's shaman will probably be a cleric or druid. He doesn't need any barbarian levels, because they wouldn't give him anything he can use and actually cripple him if he tries to rage. The tribe's hunters and scouts would probably be rangers rather than barbarians, since they need to be sneaky and alert. While a barbarian dip would be beneficial to them, it would delay some useful abilities that they would want. I can see rank and file scouts being multiclass characters, but whoever is in charge of them or the best hunter or whatever will probably be too dedicated to his craft to multiclass.

RegalKain
2014-01-19, 12:29 PM
Ok I am specifically looking for barbarians in the sense of big burly warriors from the D&D relms. The idea is my players are in an area where there are 13 barbarian tribes and these tribes have a yearly gathering. so I need to have an idea of what these tribes should be composed of.

There should be little combat involved hear because instead of combat the intent is for lack of a better term Barbarian Olympics.

so I don't think having just the tribe leader would work well. also I think barbarian levels should be if not common not overly uncommon.

I personally think it should be based on region, I mean I'd definitely say most of them would have a level of ranger. I usually envision Barbarian tribes having pte wolves and stuff like that, and they are adept at tracking their prey in their respective region, maybe homebrew it up real fast to make them seem more "region specific" though, it also depends on how powerful you want the clan/tribe to be. I mean Barb1/Ranger 1 could be pretty standard for anyone who hunts in the tribe, where as Barb1/Druid1 or Fighter1/Druid1 could be the spiritual leader. If you want the tribes to seem more powerful, use PC classes like Fighter,Druid, Barbarian, Favored Soul (If there is a spiritual healer or something along those lines.) maybe even Rogue depending, if you want them to be weaker use NPC classes.

Mind giving us some more backstory and explaining them a bit more? Like what's the feel of the level you want them to be? (IT's good to know this anyway, as if there is one thing I've learned from DMing, your players will always surprise you, sometimes in attempting to kill EVERYTHING. )

Red Fel
2014-01-19, 01:29 PM
I don't think it makes sense that everyone in the tribe has Barbarian levels. What about the tribe seer? The wetnurses and healers? The children? The elder/crone? Does everyone have super-strength and fly into rages? Further, remember that character class levels are supposed to be unusual. Most people will have NPC levels. All that said, if you insist on making an entire tribe that not only guarantees character class levels to all of its members, but at least one level of Barbarian for everyone involved, you have a wide number of options.

For example, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Totemist, which seems a natural choice for the tribe mystic-warrior figure. Also, illiteracy.

Really, you can put anything in a barbarian tribe that doesn't require education or literacy. Druid, Sorcerer, Warlock, Binder, Incarnate. Heck, you could put a Psion (Seer) in there, make her the tribe diviner. Of course, she loses the ability to read the future in the stars when she flips out in a psychotic rage and starts rending face, but there's that.

Since we're going all out, let's make it interesting. Take the tribe chieftain. Although I usually dislike the class, I think that Warchief (MiniHB) is perfect for him. His general would probably have a dip in Marshal. The tribe shamans could be Druids and Healers, the tribe combat-mages could be Totemists and Dragon Shamans, the tribe warriors could be straight-up Barbarians, with the occasional Barb/Crusader. Their hunters can be Barb/Scout and Barb/Ranger. (And the head hunter can be Barb/Scout/Ranger, why not?) Have the requisite conniving/conspiring tribal counselor as a Barb/Binder. And so forth.

Hurnn
2014-01-19, 03:01 PM
Classes in a Barbarian soceiety:

Adept (tribal mystics and shamans), Aristocrat (tribal leaders, may have a couple Barb lvls too), Barbarian (highend berzerk warriors), Druid (crazy holy man who lives int the woods), Expert (they still make weapons tools and goods), Ranger (guys who specilze in woodland and ranged combat), Rogue (sneaky guys), Scout (self explanitory), Warriors (your average tribal grunts), Commoners (not everyone has a skilled profesion or is a combatant)

Pc classes should be much rarer than npc, elite troops and leaders.

Scootaloo
2014-01-19, 04:45 PM

barbarian/commoner
barbarian/expert
barbarian/adept

A tribe where EVERYONE has Rage would very swiftly become one bloody person and a lot of finely-chopped meat. It could work if they're all trolls, I suppose.

Class levels are exceptional. A "Barbarian" is going to be among the tribe's elite warriors, probably one of the few that can be afforded to dedicate themselves to war. If you want to make it "realistic" (i.e., close to real-world analogues) then odds are the Barbarian class is a pariah, a frightening and unnerving presence - even if he might be necessary. The exception would be in societies were sudden violence isn't stigmatized, like gnolls, orcs, or the like.

The bulk of the tribe would be commoners. Some - the smiths, boatbuilders, and artists - would have some level of Expert. The Shaman and his acolytes would be a mix of Experts and Adept (though the big guy himself could stir in some Bard or Cleric - Druid is better for some sort of loner mystic in this picture). There's probably some levels of Warrior sprinkled through the entire community, concentrated in the higher ranks. There may be a fighter, ranger, or barbarian in the mix somewhere, again an "elite" sort of person. Whoever's in charge very likely has mixed NPC and PC class levels. Those whose PC class isn't a martial type would have some Warrior in there, while those whose PC class IS martial would probably be Experts.

PersonMan
2014-01-19, 05:18 PM
A tribe where EVERYONE has Rage would very swiftly become one bloody person and a lot of finely-chopped meat. It could work if they're all trolls, I suppose.

Why? Just because they can choose to buff themselves in combat, they automatically massacre each other?

Flickerdart
2014-01-19, 05:19 PM
Which is why barbed devils always work alone oh wait they show up in squads of as many as 10.

The Insanity
2014-01-19, 05:21 PM
A tribe where EVERYONE has Rage would very swiftly become one bloody person and a lot of finely-chopped meat.
Why is that? :smallconfused: It's Rage, not Frenzy.

Maginomicon
2014-01-19, 05:27 PM
A barbarian society would contain anagakok (shamans) and felidh (lawgivers). These are both wizard variants (in Dragon Magazine #344 page 104 and Dragon Magazine #324 page 90, respectively).

The wilderness variant rogue, survivalist variant fighter, hunter variant druid, incarnate variant paladin, rage variant cleric, savage variant bard, wildshape variant ranger, animal-companion variant sorcerer, and wild variant monk all make good fits too.

Godskook
2014-01-19, 06:04 PM
It depends largely on the power level you want for the tribes involved and their race. If the average CR in the tribe is the standard 1/3, most of them are warriors or commoners, with an adept or two as shamans. If you want them to be CR 1-2 on average, you can give about half the population a level in barbarian, a few with specialty classes, and lots of lvl 1-3 warriors. As you raise the CR, you gain more options with how you structure the society, as well as what classes make sense to show up. If they're CR5 or so, they can duel Trolls regularly, and most natural wildlife isn't a threat to them anymore. By CR 10, they start being a threat to dragons, especially en masse, and likely are insanely well organized(read: mage orders, warrior schools), with their spirituality being what keeps them "less civilized", rather than a lack of industry. The most important points for "barbarian" is high strength stats, intimidation-based social hierarchy(the degree of intimidation versus diplomacy in determining a tribe's hierarchy is a great way to flavor the tribes and set them apart from each other), and at least a few barbarians.

In any case, status symbols in such cultures are likely to be derived from animals that are of a CR approximately 1-3 above the average citizen's capability of soloing.(Black and Brown Bears are 2-4 CR, and their pelts were status symbols among various native american cultures).

If you choose a higher ECL, I'd use class choice as a way of distinguishing the tribes. The far west tribe has druids for their 'shamans', and are more in touch with nature. The far east tribe has spirit shamans, and worship spirits and ancestors(think Mulan's culture). The northern tribe uses clerics and has the most formal and "western" religion(maybe they're closest to the non-tribe civilisations, and they share the religion of their neighbors but are still part of the barbarian tribes).

Scootaloo
2014-01-19, 07:31 PM
Why is that? :smallconfused: It's Rage, not Frenzy.

Barbarian#1 has a short temper. Decides to fly in a rage to "deal with" someone who stepped on his shoe.
Shooestepper is also a barbarian, and enters rage to defend himself
Whoever's nearby doesn't want these two hulking, foaming cretins to kill each other, so someone will have to try to break them up. More rage.

it becomes a chain reaction thing.

Of course this is assuming that rage has an impact on characters and societies and isn't just "Uhm yeah now i have +4 strength so i do two more damage when I hit, so..."

Flickerdart
2014-01-19, 08:05 PM
Barbarian#1 has a short temper. Decides to fly in a rage to "deal with" someone who stepped on his shoe.
Whoever's nearby doesn't want these two hulking, foaming cretins to kill each other, so someone will have to try to break them up. More rage.

Of course this is assuming that rage has an impact on characters and societies and isn't just "Uhm yeah now i have +4 strength so i do two more damage when I hit, so..."
In what way is this different from any society? A fight breaks out, people go to pull apart the combatants. Raging in no way affects your judgment, just your ability to concentrate well and perform delicate motions.

Maginomicon
2014-01-19, 09:32 PM
The "Council of Elders" article in Dragon Magazine #334 page 84 might be useful to you.

Slipperychicken
2014-01-19, 09:52 PM

It does, but barbarian rage doesn't cause tantrum spirals. Like not all barbarians are going to flip out and kill their cats every time they stub a toe. If you want to represent that level of severe mental illness with a class feature, the Frenzied Berserker's Frenzy actually does exactly what you describe, and is distinct from regular old rage.

Godskook
2014-01-19, 10:04 PM

Without IUS, unarmed strikes deal non-lethal damage, making it *VERY* difficult to kill people this way(unrealistically so, considering the damage involved). On top of this, a barbarian society with common access to merciless weapons would evolve their arguments to be solved with said weapons(the ones where killing the other guy wasn't necessarily the goal).

Undertucker
2014-01-19, 11:19 PM
If you're set on making the majority of each tribe barbarians (the class), try making each tribe use a different rage variant.
You've got the normal rage for big and tough.
Whirling Frenzy for quick and hard to hit.
Ferocity for higher strength and agility.

I'm sure there are more if you look hard enough..