PDA

View Full Version : General suggest-a-game thread

danzibr
2014-01-19, 11:39 AM
Do you not know which game to play next? Exhausted everything which looks interesting? Hopefully this thread can help you out.

I used to be quite the gamer, up until a few years ago (I have 2 kids now and I'm about to get my PhD, so little time for games). I don't keep up on games, and so when I go looking for games, I get a little lost. Something might look good, but not be good. Reading reviews on gamefaqs or wherever doesn't always help much.

Anyway, while I'm not much of a gamer anymore, I'm sure many of my fellow playgrounders are. Hopefully with the collective gamerness, we can help out our fellow gamers in need.

Maybe you like retro games, but played all of the retro games. Well, nowadays there are plenty of new games which have a retro feel to them. Or maybe one of your favorite games got re-released (or remastered or remade or whatever) and you didn't know about it.

Or maybe <insert game here> is your favorite game of all time, and someone has an idea of a game which you might enjoy. For example, I love Resident Evil, and watching some The Last of Us videos, I think I might like that too.

tl;dr Have a vague feeling of what you want to play next, but no specific title? Post here and hopefully we can help you out. Please label it by Request or Suggestion.

Suggestion
Love the old Mega Mans? In Spring of 2015 (so maybe I shouldn't even talk about it yet... just make people angry), Might No. 9 is coming out! Google it: you'll like it.

Suggestion
Love old school beat 'em up co-op games? Check Castle Crashers.

danzibr
2014-01-20, 07:19 AM
Hmm, well, I guess people don't have requests. I actually do, though. Two, now that I think about it.

Request
I'm looking for a bright, pretty RPG. Something similar would be Tales of Symphonia. I played ToS and ToS: Dawn of the New World (I liked the first one a bit more... speaking of which, what would you call the best Tales game?). Cross Edge had potential, but I ended up really disliking it for its monotonous combat system and terrible end game.

Request
I'm also always interested in good SRPG's. I liked Shining Force and Shining Force 2 back on the Genesis. I also like the Disgaea games.

Wookieetank
2014-01-20, 12:45 PM
Hmm, well, I guess people don't have requests. I actually do, though. Two, now that I think about it.

Request
I'm looking for a bright, pretty RPG. Something similar would be Tales of Symphonia. I played ToS and ToS: Dawn of the New World (I liked the first one a bit more... speaking of which, what would you call the best Tales game?). Cross Edge had potential, but I ended up really disliking it for its monotonous combat system and terrible end game.

Request
I'm also always interested in good SRPG's. I liked Shining Force and Shining Force 2 back on the Genesis. I also like the Disgaea games.

Suggestions:
Bright RPG: Ni No Kuni, seriously you should be playing it right now. Studio Ghibli does the art and animations for the game and its developed by Level5 (of Dark Cloud and Rogue Galaxy fame). Got this gem for Christmas and haven't played anything else on my PS3 since.

SRPG: Got a couple here depending on what system(s) you have acess to.
~Front Mission 1 for DS is fun and full of Mechs.
~Devil Survivor 1 & 2 for DS, SMT style SRPG, very fun, very addicting, played through both 3 times so far now and still have at least 2 more times to go each thanks to the endings being quite different.
~Project X Zone for 3DS, if you've played Super Robot Wars: Endless Frontier you'll have an idea of how the combat bit plays out. Its like a fighting game and a SRPG had a baby.
~Valkyria Chronicles for PS3, its a fantasy retelling of WW2 essentially, but quite well written and with very solid game play.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-01-21, 12:54 PM

Request

Suggestion: Recettear: an Item Shop's Tale, the cheeriest saga of a young girl's fantasy RPG profiteering you'll ever play.

Exhibit A (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_UPZaoe7KzI0/TI8RBOWX52I/AAAAAAAAAEg/dDoZwU1Zs-8/s1600/recettear-yayness.jpg)
Exhibit B (http://img6.mmo.mmo4arab.com/my/upload/f7/18/nemius/10/0922/medium700_20100922160930_666.jpg)
Exhibit C (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_puNk3p-6peM/TRNG9iyJw6I/AAAAAAAAAOU/fWvxFfWpMwQ/s1600/yayifications.png)

Hybrid of shop-management game and dungeon crawler segments where you hire adventurers to bring back loot to sell.

Hunter Noventa
2014-01-21, 03:51 PM
Request

Response: Fire Emblem : Awakening for the 3DS is pretty amazing.
I'll second Valkyria Chronicles as well.
Super Robot Taisen Original Generaion 1 and 2 are amazing and in English for the GBA. Super Robot Wars J is available with a fan translation.
if you can tolerate using a wiki and reading (or glossing over) moonspeak, Super Robot Wars 2nd OG is available on Ps3, and has great SRPG gameplay with lovingly animated HD sprites.

Comet
2014-01-21, 04:27 PM
if you can tolerate using a wiki and reading (or glossing over) moonspeak, Super Robot Wars 2nd OG is available on Ps3, and has great SRPG gameplay with lovingly animated HD sprites.

Is there any kind of story summary/walkthrough available for this yet? I'm so very ready to import as soon as there's any kind of tool to get a basic grasp of the plot. The robots and the fighting and the music is all well and good but I've found that I need the context provided by the plot, dumb as that plot may be sometimes, to really get excited about an SRW game.