PDA

View Full Version : How would you make an urban Druidic enclave?

Dreadgrim
2014-01-19, 11:42 AM
The place is Sharn, city of towers. A metropolis mostly spanning vertically.

On top of one of the towers, which are pretty large, the druid have set an urban wood. It works as a free area, so it is not tied to a specific druidic sect, any druid is free to visit. A small wooden house is also there, with some equipment, the keepers' beds and useful stuff.

The Gatekeepes, anyway, are the most prominent group. This is because they are specialized in dealing with stuff that involves other planes, and the city has two big zones of manifestation linked to two different planes; the influence of them allows the city to run, and messing with them could have catastrophic effects.

I would like to know what cool stuff you would add to the place. Just woods and house seems lame. The druids are not flashy, I know, but I feel like the place could use a couple more things.

Also, imagine that the Gatekeepers constantly check for things like portals, planar breaches and things like this opening in the city (as it is). How would you make them know when this happens? Divination magic? Net of informators? "Signs"? Keep in mind that the setting's magic level is never unnecessarily high.

Thank you.

nobodez
2014-01-19, 12:02 PM
Well, depending on how much of the Tippyverse you want to let into Eberron, you could have some traps of reincarnation put in (though that might step on the halflings' toes). If you really want to have fun, have a trap of last breath instead, and have the druids encourage their fellows to visit the grove every decade or so for a new body.

Dreadgrim
2014-01-19, 12:43 PM
What you said is rather cool, but even if it involved druid spells it doens't seem something that druids would do.. maybe some crazy shaman.

Also, I only got the Reincarnate part, not the Last Breath one. Sorry, today I'm a bit slow. :)

Yomega
2014-01-19, 01:00 PM
I would pull insparation from Ravnica its a magic the gathering set but in its world the whole planet is one giant city, otherwise posibly something like the layered tree from avatar would be epic or underground sections where they tend to the roots of every plant in the city

nobodez
2014-01-20, 10:33 AM
What you said is rather cool, but even if it involved druid spells it doens't seem something that druids would do.. maybe some crazy shaman.

Also, I only got the Reincarnate part, not the Last Breath one. Sorry, today I'm a bit slow. :)

Last breath is the instant version of Reincarnate from Spell Compendium. Basically it can only be used within a round of death, but there's no level loss involved.

KOedBarbarian
2014-01-20, 01:03 PM
There's a lot you can do to make the tower more interesting as far as features go; I imagine that a druidic enclave in the midst of a city like Sharn would be more tamed, possibly including a garden or zoo (while the zoo might ruffle the feathers of more conservative druids, it'd provide a safe haven for animals that might otherwise have trouble with city life, or be indigenous to more extreme environments - it'd also work as a public area/tourist trap to generate income for the Gatekeepers).

Buildings created with Stone/Wood Shape are a possibility as well - from a simple barracks for patrols to return to after checking out anomalies, to an elegant temple for the enclave to retreat to for meditative purposes; it all depends on what fits the mentality of the Gatekeepers.

As for finding portals, I have two ideas to contribute, the first of which is just an expansion on the informants idea you posited in your opening post. Even in highly developed cities animals are fairly common, whether as pets or vermin. Maybe a small group of druids tend a pidgeon coop and question their charges about anything unusual they've seen at the end of the day, like primal spymasters.