PDA

View Full Version : Building a bugbear ranger

maddog7217
2014-01-19, 01:38 PM
Hi All:

It's been a while since I have played 4e and I am out of the loop on any books other than PH1. I am now in a campaign that allows ALL errata and would like to play a bugbear ranger. Keep in mind the bugbear gets +2str/+2dex, does additional damage when he has combat advantage, and can wield weapons a size larger than medium sized heroes can.

I would like to have some points in stealth, but have a great deal of dps. Could you please point me to a few books with good feats/abilities for rangers?

Thanks!

Lucius the Bugbear.

Tvtyrant
2014-01-19, 02:14 PM
If you are playing with all errata I would suggest focusing on the PHB and going TWF Ranger, max strength and put secondary dex. Waraxe Prof and get 2 large ones for 2d6 one handed weapons, then take all of the static modifiers you can find. Frostcheese is golden, multiclassing Cleric for some big bonuses to damage, etc. Your encounter powers will mostly be immediate and free action ones to add to the single turn damage (since your at-will stays competitive for the entire game) and your dailies will be based on getting as many hits in as possible.

Calen
2014-01-19, 02:15 PM
Well Twinstrike is your go-to skill.
Most stuff for rangers will be found in PH1, and the Martial Power books (2 of them).

Ranged Ranger - Take a feat for greatbow and perhaps the distant advantage feat to benefit from more CA (hence more damage).

Melee Ranger - Take a feat for a big weapon (Craghammer, Waraxe, etc.), getting CA will be easier in melee.

You could always get a multi class feat in Rogue to get a couple extra dice of damage when you have CA once per encounter.

That should help you get started I hope.

Epinephrine
2014-01-19, 03:59 PM
The Double Axe is an interesting weapon, too; you don't get the 2d6 listed above, instead only getting 1d12, but it's a single weapon, which saves a bit on equipment.