PDA

View Full Version : The Blademaster [3.5/PF Base Class, WIP, PEACH]

Baitdoll
2014-01-19, 03:16 PM
The Blademaster
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/sites/default/files/styles/scale_large/public/upload/art/yeuw43.jpg?itok=o9zmLiCi
Fan art (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/media/art/yasuo-fan-art) from the League of Legends Website. Not my art.
A Blademaster is a wanderer. A traveling sword. His weapon becomes an extension of himself. He wields it without error or thought, it is a part of him. Most Bladesmasters are swordsmen practicing the ancient battle art of Bushido, but any slashing edged weapon is appropriate. They follow a code of conduct but it strengthens their resolve. They have extraordinary combat abilities and are very wise, able to dissect situations and see the best course of action fast.

Role: A Blademasters mastery of combat and martial skills make them excellent damage dealers for the party. A good instinct and intuition helps them with party situation in which a certain kind of face is required, or where something more than combat is needed.

Game Rule Information
Blademasters have the following game statistics.
Abilities: Wisdom powers the Blademasters special abilities and is its strength in combat, offensive and defensively. Dexterity provides The Blademaster with a better chance to dodge attacks and move in and out of combat. A good constitutions score helps with some abilities as well, and helps a Blademaster stay in combat longer.
Alignment: Lawful, a Blademaster must follow a strict code of honor known as Bushido.
Hit Dice: D10

Class Skills
The Blademasters Class skills(and the key ability for each skill) are Acrobatics(Dex), Climb(Str), Concentration(Con), Craft(Int), Diplomacy(Cha), Intimidate(Cha),Knowledge(Nobility and Royalty)(Int), Perception(Wis), Profession(Wis), Ride(Dex), Survival(Wis), Swim(Str).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4+ Int modifier) x4.
Skill points at Each Additional Level: 4+ Int modifier.

The Blademaster
Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Ac Bonus
1|+1|+0|+2|+2|Bushido 1/Day, Intuitive Training, AC Bonus|+1
2|+2|+0|+3|+3|Intuitive Training|+1
3|+3|+1|+3|+3|Iaijutsu Strike +1D8, Intuitive Training|+1
4|+4|+1|+4|+4||+2
5|+5|+1|+4|+4|Fast Movement|+2
6|+6/+1|+2|+5|+5|Bushido 2/Day|+2
7|+7/+2|+2|+5|+5|Iaijutsu +2D8|+2
8|+8/+3|+2|+6|+6||+2
9|+9/+4|+3|+6|+6||+3
10|+10/+5|+3|+7|+7|Greater Bushido|+3
11|+11/+6/+1|+3|+7|+7|Iaijutsu +3D8|+3
12|+12/+7/+2|+4|+8|+8|Bushido 3/Day|+3
13|+13/+8/+3|+4|+8|+8||+3
14|+14/+9/+4|+4|+9|+9||+4
15|+15/+10/+5|+5|+9|+9|Iaijutsu + 4D8|+4
16|+16/+11/+6/+1|+5|+10|+10|Bushido 4/Day|+4
17|+17/+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+10||+4
18|+18/+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+11|Mighty Bushido|+4
19|+19/+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+11|Iaijutsu +5D8|+5
20|+20/+15/+10/+5|+6|+12|+12|Bushido 5/Day, Nirvana|+5

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Blademaster.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies - Blademasters are proficient in all simple weapons plus the Kukri, short sword, longsword, scimitar, falcihon, greatsword, bastard sword, two-bladed sword, Katana, and Curved Elven Blade. Bladesmasters have no proficiency in any armor or shields. If a Blademaster chooses to wear armor or carry a shield, they cannot enter bushido, and they lose all AC bonuses.

Ac Bonus(Ex) - A Blademaster is highly trained at dodging and weaving in and out of combat. The Blademaster gains a dodge bonus to AC equal according to their level. In addition they can add their wisdom modifier to their AC. These bonuses apply to touch attacks and when caught flat-footed. If the Blademaster wears armor, carries a shield, or is encumbered more than a light load not counting weapon, they lose this ability.

Intuitive Training - At 1st Level the Blademaster gains Intuitive Attack as a bonus feat. At 2nd level he gains Quick draw. At 3rd Level, the Blademaster can add his wisdom modifier in place of his Str modifier to damage rolls. Furthermore, his intuitive training allows him to take fighter bonus feats as if he was a fighter of his Blademaster level -2.

Bushido(Ex) - A Blademaster may enter a special battle trance known as Bushido a number of times per day. To enter Bushido, a Blademaster must study the battlefield, situation, skirmish, or target for 1 round. During that round he may do nothing else, not even attacks of opportunity or immediate or free actions. During Bushido, the Blademaster gains extraordinary combat abilities. He temporarily gains +2 bonus to Wisdom, +2 morale bonus on Reflex saves, +2 Dodge bonus to Ac,+10 ft movement speed and may take an additional attack at his highest Base Attack Bonus. Additionally, any weapon wielded by the Blademaster during Bushido automatically gains the Keen ability. Bushido lasts for 3 rounds + his newly improved Wisdom modifier. Bushido can only be done once per encounter.

At 10th level, his Bushido grows into something more. He now gains a +4 bonus to wisdom, A +3 morale bonus to Reflex, +3 dodge bonus to Ac, +20ft movement speed, and may take two additional attacks at his highest Base Attack Bonus.

At 18th level, his Bushido hits it Apex. He gains a +6 bonus to wisdom, +4 morale bonus to Reflex saves, +4 Dodge bonus to AC, +30 ft movement speed, and he may take three additional attacks at his high highest base attack bonus.

Iaijustsu(Su) - The first strike a Blademaster makes in every round deals extra damage. The combat art of Iajutsu allows the Blademaster to make a premeditated strike, even if already in combat with the enemy. This is one of the most fundamental and beginner practices of the Blademaster, and even while in battle, he can strike and move in such a way this his opponents won't see which direction its coming until hit once already. The extra attacks made in a round from Bushido benefit from Iaijutsu.

Fast Movement(Ex) - The Blademaster gains +10 ft movement speed when wearing no armor and unencumbered.

Nirvana (Ex) - Upon reaching 20th Level, the Blademaster has attain perfection in all things. There is no swordsman who can match his skill, and nor a sword stronger than the one he wields. He cannot be disarmed, and weapons he wield cannot be sundered or damaged in any way. He does not fail on a roll of 1 on any attack roll, and all critical strikes he rolls are automatically confirmed. Furthermore, all weapons he wields are more dangerous than in the hands of any other. Swords he wield automatically gain Vorpal qualities, and their critical strike multiplier is increased by one.

Code of Honor- A Blademaster must follow the tenets of Bushido to be able to make use of it. If he does not follow this path he loses all class features and must atone to regain them. Atonement can include doing tasks beneath his station to show humility, donating a portion of his gold to show charity, and taking a quest to regain honor for his family or cause.

Honesty - A Blademaster deals openly and honestly with others. Moral decisions do not come in shades of gray, only right and wrong.

Courage - A Blademaster never fears to act, but lives life fully and wonderfully. Fear is replaced with respect and caution.

Humility - A Blademaster has no reason to prove his strength. Bravado is unbecoming.

Honor - A Blademasters conscience is the judge of his honor. The directions he makes and how he carries them out are a reflection of his true nature.

Sincerity - A Blademaster will carry out an action he says he will. He does not make promises, speaking and doing are as if the same.

Duty - A Blademaster feels responsible for his actions and their consequences. His loyalty is unquestionable and unquestioning.

Blade Meditation - For a Blademaster to take advantage of his class abilities he must mediate for 2 hours upon waking up each morning. This includes some silent contemplation and going through various battle stances and sword moves.

Related Homebrew Feats
Prerequisite - Bushido Class ability.
You may enter Bushido one additional time per day.
Prerequisite - Bushido Class ability.
Your Bushido lasts an extra 5 rounds.

Homebrew items
Exotic Weapons|Cost|Dmg(s)|Dmg(m)|Critical|Range|Weight|T ype|Special
Two-Handed Melee Weapons||||||||
Katana|80gp|1D8|1D10|18-20/x2|-|10 lbs|S|Sunder, Katanas give its wielder +2 to sunder checks against any other object.

Zweisteine
2014-01-19, 04:43 PM
I'm not sure about the power level/effectiveness of this class, but I have a few comments.

You should probably list this as a Pathfinder class. Though it is easily used in 3.5, there are a few key differences that could be offsetting (mainly skills and proficiencies: maybe just add separate lists of those for 3.5).

Typos: Under Code of Honor, you have "tenants" where you should say "tenets." In the spoiler under the same feature, under humility, you have "nor" where you should say "no."

You have fast movement listed as a class feature on the table, but it appears nowhere else.

What I notice about this class is that it seems to be a cross of sorts between Samurai and a few other classes (mostly barbarian and swashbuckler or other finesse-based classes). The samurai elements are most obvious, with the Code of Honor and Bushido. The barbarian influence is in the "battle trance" effect and its similarity to the barbarian's rage (and the unlisted fast movement). The finesse warrior element is the dodge bonus to AC and the inability to wear armor.

Also, I note that this class, while apparently meant to be a warrior class, does not have a good fortitude save. This is very unusual, and I would recommend simply giving the class all three good saves.

The one thing that irks me about this class is the naming of the ability you call "Bushido." Bushido is the samurai's code of honor, not a battle trance by any stretch.

Also, at least in D&D 3.5, the katana is specifically listed in multiple locations as a masterwork bastard sword.

Out of time. I'l be back to comment more later.

Baitdoll
2014-01-19, 07:32 PM
You should probably list this as a Pathfinder class. Though it is easily used in 3.5, there are a few key differences that could be offsetting (mainly skills and proficiencies: maybe just add separate lists of those for 3.5).
And I think everyone knows those differences.

Typos: Under Code of Honor, you have "tenants" where you should say "tenets." In the spoiler under the same feature, under humility, you have "nor" where you should say "no."
Will fix. Blindly spellchecked.

You have fast movement listed as a class feature on the table, but it appears nowhere else.
Will fix.

What I notice about this class is that it seems to be a cross of sorts between Samurai and a few other classes (mostly barbarian and swashbuckler or other finesse-based classes). The samurai elements are most obvious, with the Code of Honor and Bushido. The barbarian influence is in the "battle trance" effect and its similarity to the barbarian's rage (and the unlisted fast movement). The finesse warrior element is the dodge bonus to AC and the inability to wear armor.
Isn't that the point of homebrew? Plus, battle trance is essentially haste, the spell, not rage. I just had to put it thematically, instead of just casting haste 1/day.

Also, I note that this class, while apparently meant to be a warrior class, does not have a good fortitude save. This is very unusual, and I would recommend simply giving the class all three good saves.

His power don't lie there though, so thematically that wouldnt make answer sense. He isn't tough, hes fast and wise. This is another reason I feel maybe I should lower the d10 to d8, but I am unsure.

The one thing that irks me about this class is the naming of the ability you call "Bushido." Bushido is the samurai's code of honor, not a battle trance by any stretch.
You are welcome to your opinion, but I hope you don't pick apart people naming choices becuase you don't like them. That's hardly constructive.

I think Bushido ability samurais have that make them stronger and more defensive in MtG.

Also, at least in D&D 3.5, the katana is specifically listed in multiple locations as a masterwork bastard sword.
And its very underwhelming. There is nothing different about it, and a bastard sword is definitely not a katana. The curved elven blade more closely represents the stats of such an item, which is what I have done.

Zweisteine
2014-01-19, 10:24 PM
1. And I think everyone knows those differences.

2. Isn't that the point of homebrew?

3. I feel maybe I should lower the d10 to d8, but I am unsure.

4. You are welcome to your opinion, but I hope you don't pick apart people naming choices becuase you don't like them. That's hardly constructive.

1. I didn't, but that isn't all that important.

2. Yes; that was just my comments on the class, not meant to be criticism.

3. Don't drop the HD, any class called blademaster shouldn't have anything less than a d10, just because the primary role of the class is to fight.

4. Sorry about that, that was the bit I wasn't done writing when I had to finish. I don't dislike the name out of personal preference (kind of, it's more my grammar-nazi-ish side poking its head up), but because the word has an established meaning, and you could just change the name to something with a more accurate meaning, even something like "bushido trance." It gives me something similar to the feeling I had when 4e named psionic powers "disciplines." (And I feel like it's worse because you have the actual Bushido listed as a separate, differently named class feature.) Of course, feel free to completely ignore this, because it is your class, and I doubt most people will actually care about that very much.

Sorry about the lack of things besides criticism in my comments on the class. I'm rather inexperienced with measuring the abilities of a class, so I can only easily see things that seem like problems to me.

Baitdoll
2014-01-20, 12:06 AM
1. I didn't, but that isn't all that important. Maybe I should add them then.

3. Don't drop the HD, any class called blademaster shouldn't have anything less than a d10, just because the primary role of the class is to fight. Ok.

4. Sorry about that, that was the bit I wasn't done writing when I had to finish. I don't dislike the name out of personal preference (kind of, it's more my grammar-nazi-ish side poking its head up), but because the word has an established meaning, and you could just change the name to something with a more accurate meaning, even something like "bushido trance." It gives me something similar to the feeling I had when 4e named psionic powers "disciplines." (And I feel like it's worse because you have the actual Bushido listed as a separate, differently named class feature.) Of course, feel free to completely ignore this, because it is your class, and I doubt most people will actually care about that very much. I don't like Battle Trace though, so I'm not sure what to list it as, but I think Bushido would be a great class skill. Maybe Bushido instead of the Intuitive trainings?

Rename the battle trance to something else, its themed like rage, for ease, but its basically haste.

nonsi
2014-01-20, 07:19 AM
Dead Levels !!!
(hint: levels where all you get are numeric modifiers are still dead levels)

Baitdoll
2014-01-20, 01:32 PM
Yeah, but having something every level is where a lot of these homebrew are completely overpowered because they go far and above the power of any class.

Maybe 3 out of 100 submissions are playable, due to being mega overpowered. I don't care how much work was put into evolutionist, the class will never be accepted by any dm with half a brain.

Every single class in the game has dead levels, so that's not even really a criticism.

EdroGrimshell
2014-01-20, 01:40 PM
Every single class in the game has dead levels, so that's not even really a criticism.

Three words: Barbarian and Monk.

Two more words: Full Spellcasters.

None of them have any dead levels. And don't argue on spellcasters, they get more spells which allows them to break the game further.

And that's just in Core.

bobthe6th
2014-01-20, 02:09 PM
In addition tehy can
In addition they can

No one loves a mechanics enforced code. It is so easy to do wrong, as the thousands of "my DM made me fall" threads can attest. Should really be left as an RP thing for the player and DM to work up.

So... what can it do besides kill ****? That is a rather important part of a base class...
No int synergy means few skills, and to be a face your going MAD with cha, int, wis, con, and dex. The only ability you don't need is str... and you still need that for the first two levels. Even as a pure melee combatant, you need dex, con, and wis.

Besides all that... why would I take more then three levels before going full divine spell caster?

Also.. after producing the Swordsage(but worse) you really shouldn't be critiquing stuff like the evolutionist. Abilities are what make classes fun to play and give you options for interacting with the game world. Right now, the samurai can full attack with his sword. A few times during the day he can do it better. I am so excited to sleep through sessions waiting for combat like a fighter/knight/every other combat focused class. I also love the fact I could automate my character with "Move to biggest opponent and attack. Then attack some more. If still more opponents and busido uses left, use Bushido." I don't expect to have much fun.

Baitdoll
2014-01-20, 02:14 PM
Dead Levels !!!
(hint: levels where all you get are numeric modifiers are still dead levels)

Three words: Barbarian and Monk.

Two more words: Full Spellcasters.

None of them have any dead levels. And don't argue on spellcasters, they get more spells which allows them to break the game further.

And that's just in Core.

I guess you didn't read what he said. I bolded and underlined it so you might better see.

Barbarian has dead levels at 4, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 15, 16, 18, 19.
Plus, if you count the upgrades with a different name change, that are actually just numerical(mighty, greater rage), then you have two more levels that are dead.

Lets look at monk. 8th level, 14th, 8th. Plus multiple levels are just upgrades of current abilities, which might or might not be counted as dead.

Regardless, your argument is so far off base and moot that it didn't deserve a response.

I obviously wouldn't argue that spellcasters are dead levels.

Baitdoll
2014-01-20, 02:35 PM
In addition tehy can
In addition they can
Fixed. Thank you. Caught another one too while doing that.

No one loves a mechanics enforced code. It is so easy to do wrong, as the thousands of "my DM made me fall" threads can attest. Should really be left as an RP thing for the player and DM to work up.
Tell that too paladin, monk, druid, wu jen, samurai, and any other class that has one. It helps balance the class, and keeps it with a theme. Some classes are not just pure game breaking, and some have theme.

So... what can it do besides kill ****? That is a rather important part of a base class...
No int synergy means few skills, and to be a face your going MAD with cha, int, wis, con, and dex. The only ability you don't need is str... and you still need that for the first two levels. Even as a pure melee combatant, you need dex, con, and wis.
Does the fighter, warblade, barabarian, or multiple other classes have a role other than killing ****? All classes shouldnt be ultility. Some classes should be killing stuff. Thats what that role in the party is. Some people love to play that class. I'd say a very large amount of people love to play that class.

Maybe not this one, I'm not saying that, but that role.

Besides all that... why would I take more then three levels before going full divine spell caster?
Because this forum isn't for "convince me to play your class, which should be the strongest class in the game"?
Its for homebrew stuff. A lot of people are going to post something that makes them happy, and is something they want to play, and is a theme they like.

I am instantly losing tons of class abilities if I play a melee who isn't wearing lots of armor, or being a crazy maniac, or being a monk unarmored. There is no katana monk, or I would take that. I also like the rage like ability.

The big issue is, this should be deemed balanced or not to whats in the game, no what else is on these boards.

Also.. after producing the Swordsage(but worse) you really shouldn't be critiquing stuff like the evolutionist. Abilities are what make classes fun to play and give you options for interacting with the game world. Right now, the samurai can full attack with his sword. A few times during the day he can do it better. I am so excited to sleep through sessions waiting for combat like a fighter/knight/every other combat focused class. I also love the fact I could automate my character with "Move to biggest opponent and attack. Then attack some more. If still more opponents and Bushido uses left, use Bushido." I don't expect to have much fun.
The evolutionist is pure game-breaking trash. If you think its fair, you really have no business posting on anyone's homebrew because you don't understand the game and mechanics. The fact that you suggested I need to convince you to play this class over the literally top broken class in the game means I really can't take anything you say into consideration. It isn't suppose to be the most game-breaking. It isn't suppose to be tier 1 megamix.

I mean you make your basis plan. You sleep through any turn that isn't something you like or you think is fun. If you did that during my real life game, you wouldn't be welcome back.

The point of the game is to have fun, and play a class you like and enjoy, not someone that does everything and anything. You can play that class if you want, its called factotum, and its still pretty strong. Evolutionist is not only a rip off of it, but its over the top. If someone wants to play a character that smashes skulls, and realistically, there are a TON of classes in game that only do that, then you should. In fact, I think, no, I know its required for a few people in the party to specialize in that, so you can actually progress in the game.

The point is to fit the class into the system and world and it be fair, not overpowered. If it isn't as powerful as some others, you don't have to pick it, but a lot of classes are themed and are picked for certain reasons!

No wonder everyone links a completely overpowered class in games if you allow homebrew. Its because this forums suggests and steers you to completely overpower any class you want to make.

EdroGrimshell
2014-01-20, 03:08 PM
I guess you didn't read what he said. I bolded and underlined it so you might better see.

Barbarian has dead levels at 4, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 15, 16, 18, 19.
Plus, if you count the upgrades with a different name change, that are actually just numerical(mighty, greater rage), then you have two more levels that are dead.

Lets look at monk. 8th level, 14th, 8th. Plus multiple levels are just upgrades of current abilities, which might or might not be counted as dead.

Regardless, your argument is so far off base and moot that it didn't deserve a response.

They are not considered dead levels by WotC. They specifically cite Monk and Barbarian as the only two core classes to receive no dead levels and are not spellcasters.

Numerical bonuses means increases to saves, skills, BAB, and hit die, not to increases in the features granted by the class. Arguably this does apply to a barbarian's DR, but the fact remains that WotC claimed that Barbarian and Monk had no dead levels.

And for proof that this is true, look here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20061013a).

Tacitus
2014-01-20, 04:14 PM
I believe the comment about why would anyone take only three levels isn't asking you to convince someone to play the class, but commentary on how front-loaded the class is. A 3-level dip gets you Wis+1 to AC, Wis instead of Str to attack with simple and naturals, Wis instead of Str to damage, an excellent chassis, and a massive defense boost ability if you can get a round to study the fight. For reference, thats 3 abilities in three levels that contribute to Single Ability score Dependency. That is huge.

I would Blademaster 3/Cleric 17 all day long. Dump that Str and Wisdom my way to the bank.

EdroGrimshell
2014-01-20, 04:21 PM
Tell that too paladin, monk, druid, wu jen, samurai, and any other class that has one. It helps balance the class, and keeps it with a theme. Some classes are not just pure game breaking, and some have theme.

This has been discussed at length in the Role-Playing section, it's agreed that it is NOT a balancing mechanic and that most GMs simply ignore it. WotC has even tried to fix this with classes that ignore or modify the Code of Conduct to be less restrictive. But, that's not an issue I have, personally. My issue with codes of conduct is they should not be predesigned and made part of the class, different sects should have different codes, like a paladin of Kord should have a different code from a Paladin of Pelor, so having the code premade for every one is kinda restrictive. That's my big issue.

Does the fighter, warblade, barabarian, or multiple other classes have a role other than killing ****? All classes shouldnt be ultility. Some classes should be killing stuff. Thats what that role in the party is. Some people love to play that class. I'd say a very large amount of people love to play that class.

Maybe not this one, I'm not saying that, but that role.

That's not exactly the problem, the barbarian can be a scout as well as a killer, the warblade has battlefield control, the monk has mobility, even your class has some degree of mobility, but not enough to be considered a secondary role.

There is a reason that low Tier classes like the fighter, samurai, and monk get such a bad rep, they're boring. Mechanically. The background and playstyle used by the player may make it less so, but the class itself is still boring. That's why Tier 3, does something well and can contribute to other areas to a degree, is the standard for class design on these boards. It's what everyone on here looks to get and maintain.

Because this forum isn't for "convince me to play your class, which should be the strongest class in the game"?
Its for homebrew stuff. A lot of people are going to post something that makes them happy, and is something they want to play, and is a theme they like.

I am instantly losing tons of class abilities if I play a melee who isn't wearing lots of armor, or being a crazy maniac, or being a monk unarmored. There is no katana monk, or I would take that. I also like the rage like ability.

The big issue is, this should be deemed balanced or not to whats in the game, no what else is on these boards.

True, but you have this labeled as PEACH, which is Please Evaluate and Critique Honestly. And that's what you'll end up getting even if it's not what you're looking for. Some people on here will critique it harshly because it's not what they'd think another person (or themselves) would play, or because of what it does in combination with another class. That needs to be taken into account if you want to have a PEACH.

PEACH is often used to ask for critiques to keep within tier 3 on this forum from what I've seen thus far. I have made a number of classes I liked that other people didn't, and they were critiqued rather harshly because they were not well made as a tier three, so I simply fine tuned the design.

If you fight every comment then you lose the point of what the PEACH is for, it's to make the class better, not to attack you or the class, it's to improve the class and through it your design skills.

That and your class, while it may be what you're looking for, is a little bland, it doesn't have interesting features that make the dead levels not matter and make it something that anyone would enjoy playing. Those interesting abilities tend to make the game more enjoyable, even if they can skew the power level a little bit in one direction or another. They're simply there to make the class interesting and/or fun.

The evolutionist is pure game-breaking trash. If you think its fair, you really have no business posting on anyone's homebrew because you don't understand the game and mechanics. The fact that you suggested I need to convince you to play this class over the literally top broken class in the game means I really can't take anything you say into consideration. It isn't suppose to be the most game-breaking. It isn't suppose to be tier 1 megamix.

I mean you make your basis plan. You sleep through any turn that isn't something you like or you think is fun. If you did that during my real life game, you wouldn't be welcome back.

The point of the game is to have fun, and play a class you like and enjoy, not someone that does everything and anything. You can play that class if you want, its called factotum, and its still pretty strong. Evolutionist is not only a rip off of it, but its over the top. If someone wants to play a character that smashes skulls, and realistically, there are a TON of classes in game that only do that, then you should. In fact, I think, no, I know its required for a few people in the party to specialize in that, so you can actually progress in the game.

The point is to fit the class into the system and world and it be fair, not overpowered. If it isn't as powerful as some others, you don't have to pick it, but a lot of classes are themed and are picked for certain reasons!

It's under rework because playtesting has proven it to be a little much. Yes, it can get powerful, but nowhere near as powerful as a half way optimized wizard or sorcerer.

Yes, it can do a lot, but it is by no means OP on its own. What makes it OP is when it's used in gestalt or tristalt. Or when it focuses on one specific thing and runs it into the ground so much that it can beat anyone at the game in that particular area. I've used it before on several occasions, and it has never been OP. It is a high Tier 3 to mid Tier 2 at most, which is roughly the same area as a sorcerer, which is a Core class. Yes, it is powerful, but no, it is not the MOST powerful. It is far from it, in fact, because the gap between a Tier 1, a Tier 2, and a Tier 3 are all very big gaps, more like a canyon in the case of Tier 2 and Tier 1.

Additionally, you are being insulting towards the other playgrounders who are trying to help with balancing the class towards the standard for this forum, which is low to high Tier 3. If you would prefer to have your class at a lower or higher Tier (likely 4 since you're balancing against monk and barbarian), mark it early on in your first post. Give an opening disclaimer saying what your aim and goals for the class are, it will help the playgrounders more easily tailor their advice for your class to you're specific wants for it, otherwise they'll go for the default of Tier 3.

Just some friendly advice.

No wonder everyone links a completely overpowered class in games if you allow homebrew. Its because this forums suggests and steers you to completely overpower any class you want to make.

I'm probably not going to convince you otherwise, but the core classes made very big mistakes in design, most of the classes present were either really low Tier classes (ranger, monk, fighter, barbarian, etc) or really high tier classes (druid, cleric, wizard, sorcerer, etc), the only one that followed the middle ground was the Bard which is a low Tier 3, mid Tier 3 with properly built allies. Splat books fixed this by introducing more Tier 3 classes such as the warlock, binder, duskblade (which is borderline), and the fixed list casters such as the beguiler and dread necromancer. They did make further mistakes by including more high tier and low tier classes, but these ones were always interesting mechanically to the point it didn't matter much.

Once again, playstyle and character backgrounds can easily make a character far more interesting and seem better than they really are based on their class and mechanics, the same being true in reverse, not all wizards are game breakingly built, some are almost useless.

And you are right, the goal is to have fun, but, it's nice to have everyone on a relatively equal playing ground as well, which is why Tier 3 is the standard, and why you are being guided in that direction. If you don't want tier 3, just say so.

For a good example, my runner (in my sig) is a Tier 4 class, it's built to be a mundane movement specialist with some combat skill on the side. It's good at what it's built for, and has some decent tricks to fall back on if that doesn't work. It is by no means OP and is likely a little under powered compared to some classes, the rogue and barbarian for example.

NOTE: This is just some friendly advice and pointers, some of it may come off wrong, but I mean no offense with what I'm trying to say here and do not believe I have said anything that could come off as such except maybe calling what you said insulting, which in and of itself not a big deal.

One last thing, if you don't want people to just point out flaws they see, ask for Constructive Criticism instead. I tend to and it helps a lot.

BTW, if you look at my other homebrew and you see something you consider OP, I likely already know about it and am in the middle of reworking it (such as my Aberrant Feats and the Corpse PrC)

EDIT: Wow, probably one of the biggest replies I have ever made before...

Baitdoll
2014-01-20, 04:21 PM
They are not considered dead levels by WotC. They specifically cite Monk and Barbarian as the only two core classes to receive no dead levels and are not spellcasters.

Numerical bonuses means increases to saves, skills, BAB, and hit die, not to increases in the features granted by the class. Arguably this does apply to a barbarian's DR, but the fact remains that WotC claimed that Barbarian and Monk had no dead levels.

And for proof that this is true, look here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20061013a).

I see what you mean. Numerical isn't defined in that article, but I still see what you mean.

I believe the comment about why would anyone take only three levels isn't asking you to convince someone to play the class, but commentary on how front-loaded the class is. A 3-level dip gets you Wis+1 to AC, Wis instead of Str to attack with simple and naturals, Wis instead of Str to damage, an excellent chassis, and a massive defense boost ability if you can get a round to study the fight. For reference, thats 3 abilities in three levels that contribute to Single Ability score Dependency. That is huge.

I would Blademaster 3/Cleric 17 all day long. Dump that Str and Wisdom my way to the bank.

I see what you mean too. I was deinfientely wrong in how I viewed that response.

I have an idea on a few things to change now for sure. Take away dead levels, and progression a few things slower. Plus limit how some abilities work.

Zweisteine
2014-01-20, 04:58 PM
As a suggestion to eliminate dead levels, just add in some minor bonuses; something interesting to make the class more fun to play. It could be anything from a few minor skill bonuses to a few stances from the Tome of Battle.

Actually, I like the idea of using the dead levels to expand the class a bit. Something that brings it beyond "hit things."

One idea that isn't too broken is to add Quick Sheathe. It's like quick draw, but in reverse. It isn't really broken at all, and is pretty cool. Just be sure to state that, if you are playing with Iaijutsu Focus (in 3.5), you must sheathe the weapon normally (or wait a full minute) to gain that skill's bonus. It should probably also be usable only before and after a full attack—no switching weapons between attacks.

bobthe6th
2014-01-20, 05:05 PM
Other option for discouraging dipping for Wis MAD, make the str to damage dependent on a proportion of your levels being Blademaster. like maybe half? So you have to be at least mostly dedicated.

Baitdoll
2014-01-20, 05:28 PM
Well for the bushido I was thinking of making it impossible to cast spells.

Maybe turning intuitive training into a feat/ability pool like seen in pathfinder for rogues and barbarians.