PDA

View Full Version : Vow of poverty

Smorgonoffz
2014-01-19, 04:10 PM
Can a character with vow of poverty own an armor?

OldTrees1
2014-01-19, 04:12 PM

It is not on the short list of permitted items. So no.

Bigbeefie
2014-01-19, 04:21 PM

Nope....tis why a lot of Vow users will go Monk or Cleric as they typically don't need armor or weapons to do something.

Smorgonoffz
2014-01-19, 04:27 PM
thanks to everyone

Hiro Protagonest
2014-01-19, 04:30 PM
Nope....tis why a lot of Vow users will go Monk or Cleric as they typically don't need armor or weapons to do something.

Those classes are also VoP traps. If DM allows you a holy symbol, cleric isn't a trap, but clerics can still wear armor and have good incentive to do so, so it's weaker unless you're Cloistered Cleric.

HunterOfJello
2014-01-19, 04:36 PM
Nope. If you're going to go Vow of Poverty with something that can use heavy armor, then you can always get the Dragonscale Husk alternate class feature from Dragon Magic. You grow a thick hide of scales that protects you as armor.

I don't know if using this ACF abuses the spirit of taking Vow of Poverty or not, but I'm not the kind of player who would ever take Vow of Poverty so that's up to you to decide for yourself.

lunar2
2014-01-19, 04:38 PM
it doesn't abuse anything. it also doesn't work, since the exalted bonus from the VoP doesn't stack with the armor bonus from the husk.

eggynack
2014-01-19, 04:39 PM
Druids also, but not monks at all, because monks are the worst. Druids are generally better with VoP than clerics are, because they get better exalted feats, and because they have incentives to not wear items.

JaronK
2014-01-19, 04:45 PM
it doesn't abuse anything. it also doesn't work, since the exalted bonus from the VoP doesn't stack with the armor bonus from the husk.

However, I believe you could enchant the husk. This is relevant, because an Apostle of Peace can still spend up to 49% of their wealth on defensive magic items.

JaronK

nedz
2014-01-19, 04:47 PM
Nope. If you're going to go Vow of Poverty with something that can use heavy armor, then you can always get the Dragonscale Husk alternate class feature from Dragon Magic. You grow a thick hide of scales that protects you as armor.

I don't know if using this ACF abuses the spirit of taking Vow of Poverty or not, but I'm not the kind of player who would ever take Vow of Poverty so that's up to you to decide for yourself.

Dragonscale Husk is also highly dysfunctional so you will need a houserule to make it work.

Rubik
2014-01-19, 04:50 PM
However, I believe you could enchant the husk. This is relevant, because an Apostle of Peace can still spend up to 49% of their wealth on defensive magic items.

JaronKIs there a definition for "defensive magic items," as in, "armor, shield, and ring of protection," or is it just a general term, so anything that boosts your defenses (including things like the psychoactive skin or proteus) works?

Because I'd totally get on board with a psychoactive skin.

JaronK
2014-01-19, 05:00 PM
Is there a definition for "defensive magic items," as in, "armor, shield, and ring of protection," or is it just a general term, so anything that boosts your defenses (including things like the psychoactive skin or proteus) works?

There's no specific definition. It's a bit silly that way. Frankly, I don't think they thought the Apostle of Peace through very well.

JaronK

eggynack
2014-01-19, 05:02 PM
Is there a definition for "defensive magic items," as in, "armor, shield, and ring of protection," or is it just a general term, so anything that boosts your defenses (including things like the psychoactive skin or proteus) works?

As I am fond of pointing out, there is absolutely no such definition. Any magic item can be interpreted as a protective item, no matter what, with absolutely no exceptions. That's the broad pure-RAW interpretation anyway. There's some implication there that a protective item must be one that boosts AC, but it's pretty cheap to make all of your random items boost AC, so that's really more of an apostle of peace tax than an actual limitation. That's just an implication though, and it's pretty easy to argue that your necklace of fireballs protects you from goblins, or that your ring of not being protected protects you from being protected. Your DM may hurl a book at you for that though, so buying a protective helmet may be prudent.

Palanan
2014-01-19, 10:58 PM
The last time a VoP thread came up, which was fairly recently, someone helpfully provided links to the most recent VoP threads before that. Does anyone happen to have those links handy?

Kennisiou
2014-01-19, 11:04 PM
There's no specific definition. It's a bit silly that way. Frankly, I don't think they thought the Apostle of Peace through very well.

JaronK

It's an incredibly powerful class that's very good at doing things that will make most parties very mad at you. It solves combat encounters by itself in ways that are just utterly unsatisfying to everyone but the person playing apostle of the peace, and can begin to do that to a lot of noncombat encounters as well.

As class design goes, it's pretty poor in both the "easily understandable and functional" aspects as well as the "satisfying to play" aspect. Pretty much a pure strike out at plate.

SinsI
2014-01-19, 11:35 PM
Yes, if it is his soulmeld.

Rubik
2014-01-19, 11:41 PM
Yes, if it is his soulmeld.Um... What?

Would you mind quoting what you respond to? That way you provide the the rest of us with a clue-by-four.

Alent
2014-01-19, 11:48 PM
Um... What?

Would you mind quoting what you respond to? That way you provide the the rest of us with a clue-by-four.

I believe he's responding directly to the OP, by saying you can use soulmelds as armor.

In a VoP related question, let's say I have a dwarf that casts Silverbeard to make his beggar's clothes function as armor. Does he have to shave his beard when it turns to silver?

ShurikVch
2014-01-20, 05:45 PM
Character with VoP can't own an armor, but still can wear one, if:
1) Armor is a part of character's body.
2) Turn your cohort into animated armor. It's not an armor, its a cohort! :smallbiggrin: (Also can work with construct familiar, but characters with familiars usually don't wear armor)

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-20, 05:52 PM
I vow of poverty character can totally have armor He just loses all his vow of poverty powers.

Rubik
2014-01-20, 06:17 PM
He could wear armor, so long as it's not actually considered equipment. A psicrystal Metamorphosis'd into plate mail or a symbiote of some kind (without a gp cost) might work, and warforged have no problems "wearing" their natural armored plating. Temporary conjured items may very well work as well, though that may hit you on a technicality, depending on the DM.

TypoNinja
2014-01-20, 09:29 PM
I believe he's responding directly to the OP, by saying you can use soulmelds as armor.

In a VoP related question, let's say I have a dwarf that casts Silverbeard to make his beggar's clothes function as armor. Does he have to shave his beard when it turns to silver?

You are in luck. The 3.5 version from the SpC doesn't have the "turns your beard silver permanently" effect like the 3.0 source does, so you are safe.