PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Ultimate Magi

MrNexx
2007-01-23, 05:39 PM
What would be some good combinations for Ultimate Magus aside from the traditional Sorcerer/Wizard? My wife's 8th level Warmage wanting to learn wizardry got me thinking about this, since said character could safely oppose Evocation.

Zincorium
2007-01-23, 05:43 PM
Duskblade/wizard makes for some good int synergy and you get a bit more hp and BAB than the sorceror/wizard version.

Rei_Jin
2007-01-23, 05:46 PM
The Ultimate mage? You mean, asides from taking levels in Archmage?

Weeeeellll... a Warmage/Beguiler would be interesting to see...

Ramza00
2007-01-23, 06:04 PM
Nar Demonbinder/Wizard.

Ask your DM can you do the adaptation of UM to allow two spontaneous classes and then do Knights of the Weave for your wife. Will add some utility spells to your list like flight and cure wounds.

MeklorIlavator
2007-01-23, 06:22 PM
do you mean alternate prepare classes she could look at for warmage, or alterante combos in general? For the Warmage, I would say wizard is the best.

Dhavaer
2007-01-23, 06:40 PM
Wizard/Beguiler, for Int synergy.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-23, 06:45 PM
Beguiler/Duskblade, for Arcane Channeled Overwhelm.

Cybren
2007-01-23, 07:03 PM
Wizard/Beguiler, for Int synergy.
Also you can specialize and get great use out of the narrow beguiler spell list.

Person_Man
2007-01-23, 08:39 PM
Wizard 5/Mage of the Arcane Order 2/Incantatrix 2/Bard 1/Sublime Chord 1/Ultimate Magus 9

All sorts of metamagic fun.

Sublime Chord has a wierd progression similar to Nar Demonbinder, but better.

Ramza00
2007-01-23, 09:57 PM
Wizard 5/Mage of the Arcane Order 2/Incantatrix 2/Bard 1/Sublime Chord 1/Ultimate Magus 9

All sorts of metamagic fun.

Sublime Chord has a wierd progression similar to Nar Demonbinder, but better.

Where to start?
First Bard 1 doesn't give you 1st lvl spontaneous spells.
Second you will need a HUGE int to meet the skill points of Sublime Chord (especially if you take it in that order),
Third UM ability specifically says it increases your casting class with the lowest caster level at lvls 1,3, and 7. Bard is your lowest caster class, though how that interacts with how Sublime Chord determines its caster level is a HUGE dm rule headache (Sublime Chord sets all arcane caster levels equal to the Sublime Chord level).

Person_Man
2007-01-23, 10:47 PM
Where to start?
First Bard 1 doesn't give you 1st lvl spontaneous spells.
Second you will need a HUGE int to meet the skill points of Sublime Chord (especially if you take it in that order),
Third UM ability specifically says it increases your casting class with the lowest caster level at lvls 1,3, and 7. Bard is your lowest caster class, though how that interacts with how Sublime Chord determines its caster level is a HUGE dm rule headache (Sublime Chord sets all arcane caster levels equal to the Sublime Chord level).

The Skill problem should be solvable by taking the Able Learner feat. I'd have to read the text of how Sublime Chord interacts with your caster level to figure out how it would work with Ultimate Magus. I don't have the book, so I'll defer to the judgements of regulars who do. I just remember that it uses Bard/Sorcerer spellcasting but went up to 9th level spells in 10 class levels.

Ramza00
2007-01-23, 10:53 PM
The Skill problem should be solvable by taking the Able Learner feat. I'd have to read the text of how Sublime Chord interacts with your caster level to figure out how it would work with Ultimate Magus. I don't have the book, so I'll defer to the judgements of regulars who do. I just remember that it uses Bard/Sorcerer spellcasting but went up to 9th level spells in 10 class levels.
If you take Bard 2 (for 1st lvl spells) you should be able be able to buy all the neccessary skills cross class (thus takes 2 points), but even though they are cross class, just 1 level in bard is enough to move the maximum to your HD+3. But yes able learner helps alot. The way you had your build you need an int of 20+ at lvl 1.

You don't have complete mage or complete arcane?
Ultimate Magus is available free here as an excerpt (also in Complete Mage)
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061010a&page=3

If you need to read the text of sublime chord I can't help you.

jjpickar
2007-01-23, 11:33 PM
This might seem silly but if you want Int synergy, the Cerebremancer is kinda cool. Though since Psionics were outlawed in the world (they might not exist, I'm still fuzzy on the details of the prohibition) you could explain it as hidden lore. Player: "It's not psionics, it's hidden lore!"

DM: "Oops, you just lost you're spell book."

MrNexx
2007-01-24, 10:18 AM
do you mean alternate prepare classes she could look at for warmage, or alterante combos in general? For the Warmage, I would say wizard is the best.

Alternate combos.

I mean Wizard/Beguiler, forbidding Illusion and Enchantment, makes for a fairly formidable combination.