PDA

View Full Version : Quick Draw in reverse: is it out there?

qwertyu63
2014-01-19, 06:11 PM
As you know, Quick Draw lets you draw a weapon as a free action. Is there is a feat that lets you stow away a weapon as a free action? I can't just drop them, as the point is to keep them away from the person I am fighting.

G.Cube
2014-01-19, 06:14 PM
Not sure about something that lets you Quick Sheath, but I know there is some sort of Cursed Sword exploit where if you try to drop it it just returns to your sheath, or something of the sort.

Actually, gonna go Goggle-Fu it real quick.

Edit: Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232842) it is.

qwertyu63
2014-01-19, 06:21 PM
Not sure about something that lets you Quick Sheath, but I know there is some sort of Cursed Sword exploit where if you try to drop it it just returns to your sheath, or something of the sort.

Actually, gonna go Goggle-Fu it real quick.

Edit: Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232842) it is.

Sadly, that doesn't help. I need to be able to put away any weapon as a free action, including one I have just taken from my foe's hands.

holywhippet
2014-01-19, 06:39 PM
You could invest in gloves of storing. They let you put away or retrieve an item weighing up to 20 pounds as a free action.

Nettlekid
2014-01-19, 06:43 PM
Could you describe what you're trying to do with this trick? Like the overall plan for the quick-sheathing? It might help with suggestions.

Isamu Dyson
2014-01-19, 06:55 PM
Considering how Feat-starved practically everyone in D&D is, i'd allow the Quick Draw Feat to also enable quick sheathing.

OldTrees1
2014-01-19, 07:18 PM
IIRC a Gnome Quickrazor is sheathed as a free action.

Red Bear
2014-01-19, 07:22 PM
I really wanted a quick sheath feat for a character I had some time ago but I couldn't find anything a part from this 3rd party pathfinder feat. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/3rd-party-feats/kobold-press/combat-feats---3rd-party---kobold-press/weapon-juggle-combat)

Snowbluff
2014-01-19, 07:26 PM
You could invest in gloves of storing. They let you put away or retrieve an item weighing up to 20 pounds as a free action.

Gloves of the Master Strategist.

qwertyu63
2014-01-19, 07:31 PM
Could you describe what you're trying to do with this trick? Like the overall plan for the quick-sheathing? It might help with suggestions.

I'm making a pacifist character whose main battle tactic is to take his opponents weapons until they have nothing left. As a lot of people have backup weapons, I need to be able to get rid of the first weapon without eating any actions.

I really wanted a quick sheath feat for a character I had some time ago but I couldn't find anything a part from this 3rd party pathfinder feat. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/3rd-party-feats/kobold-press/combat-feats---3rd-party---kobold-press/weapon-juggle-combat)

That feat is perfect. If there isn't anything in 3.5, I'll just have to try and use that.

nedz
2014-01-19, 08:22 PM
Drop is a free action, throw is an attack action.
If he has multiple attacks per round then the last iteratives may be available to just throw the weapon away — otherwise he drops it at his feet or holds onto it until he can throw it away next round.

Dayaz
2014-01-19, 08:26 PM
Is this is 3.5 or pf? I made a similar character in pf, using a rogue archetype that did a lot of pickpocketing. He was a rogue/monk who would sneak up behind them, steal their weapon, use the storing gloves to hide it, then Stunning Fist them and he shackled them while they were stunned.

He was an entertaining character, who wasn't too overpowered so the DM didn't feel the need to nerf me very often.

qwertyu63
2014-01-19, 08:27 PM
Drop is a free action, throw is an attack action.
If he has multiple attacks per round then the last iteratives may be available to just throw the weapon away — otherwise he drops it at his feet or holds onto it until he can throw it away next round.

To quote my starting post:

I can't just drop them, as the point is to keep them away from the person I am fighting.

Kraken
2014-01-19, 08:31 PM
As an alternative, you drop the weapon in the square behind you, so that the foe needs to provoke multiple AoOs to retrieve it. You could then make a trip focused character to prevent them from reaching it with your AoOs. Alternatively, you could find a way to be large, and get the large and in charge feat from the Draconomicon, which would also be a good way to prevent them from getting their weapon if you successfully make an AoO. Your AoOs could do nonlethal damage if desired.

danzibr
2014-01-19, 08:35 PM
Drop is a free action. "Drop" it into your sheath ;)

Psyren
2014-01-19, 09:02 PM
Considering how Feat-starved practically everyone in D&D is, i'd allow the Quick Draw Feat to also enable quick sheathing.

This is perfectly reasonable; have you tried asking your DM?

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-01-19, 09:05 PM
So...when I saw the thread title, my first thought was "wait, a feat that makes it take longer to draw a weapon?"

Like, you get a bonus from drawing it in slow motion or something? :smallbiggrin:

CRtwenty
2014-01-20, 01:36 AM
Can't you do this with a successful sleight of hand check?

Anyway I dunno about RAW, but I'd rule that Quick Draw works in both directions. Mostly because I wouldn't want one of my players to waste a feat slot on something like that.

Isamu Dyson
2014-01-20, 01:42 AM
Anyway I dunno about RAW, but I'd rule that Quick Draw works in both directions. Mostly because I wouldn't want one of my players to waste a feat slot on something like that.

Sanity prevails :smalltongue:.

avr
2014-01-20, 02:59 AM
For psionic characters, there's the Hustle power to turn a swift action into a move action.

For arcane characters, there are familiars to scuttle away with items. My character actually used this 3 RL weeks ago on a troll stunned by a color spray.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-20, 03:01 AM
So...when I saw the thread title, my first thought was "wait, a feat that makes it take longer to draw a weapon?"

Like, you get a bonus from drawing it in slow motion or something? :smallbiggrin:

This.

I want to make a character who can do this so badly now.

Grayson01
2014-01-20, 05:29 AM
Every DM i have ever had always just assumed you could put it away as fast as you could draw it. It really seams only fair, and it's just not cool to make some one waste a second feat on putting away weapons.

Gadora
2014-01-20, 05:36 AM
I'm making a pacifist character whose main battle tactic is to take his opponents weapons until they have nothing left. As a lot of people have backup weapons, I need to be able to get rid of the first weapon without eating any actions.

So... Where exactly do you plan to put these weapons? Or does your character walk around wearing a bunch of empty scabbards and such? :smallconfused:

Spore
2014-01-20, 05:39 AM
Every DM i have ever had always just assumed you could put it away as fast as you could draw it. It really seams only fair, and it's just not cool to make some one waste a second feat on putting away weapons.

Tbh I wasn't even aware that Quick Draw didn't give you the "Quick Sheath" option.

some guy
2014-01-20, 05:40 AM
You might be interested in the Greater Disarm (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/greater-disarm-combat---final) feat from pathfinder, it makes you throw disarmed weapons 15 foot away in a random direction.

Edit: and gives you a +2 to disarm checks, but that might just be because improved disarm in pathfinder only gives a +2 bonus on disarm.

Grizzled Gryphon
2014-01-20, 07:36 AM
So... Where exactly do you plan to put these weapons? Or does your character walk around wearing a bunch of empty scabbards and such? :smallconfused: Not to mention, do you have a bunch of sheaths of the right kind? I don't think the scimitar is going to fit in a longsword sheath, and the great sword certainly won't, either. Thats not even considering battle axes, maces, bows... Too many types of weapons.

Now, if you had a bag of holding or the like...

qwertyu63
2014-01-20, 08:42 AM
In terms of the discussion about just letting Quick Draw do this: meh, sounds fair. I think I'll just use Weapon Juggle, as it does other useful things too. So I guess that means the main point of this thread is over.

This is for 3.5, but PF stuff can be used.

So... Where exactly do you plan to put these weapons? Or does your character walk around wearing a bunch of empty scabbards and such? :smallconfused:

Pretty much, yeah.

Not to mention, do you have a bunch of sheaths of the right kind? I don't think the scimitar is going to fit in a longsword sheath, and the great sword certainly won't, either. Thats not even considering battle axes, maces, bows... Too many types of weapons.

For smaller things, loops inside a jacket. For bigger things, look where Roy keeps his greatsword. Stuff in between, loops on a belt.

Now, if you had a bag of holding or the like...

Takes too long to put it in there. Already thought of that.

Vash9177
2014-01-20, 11:46 AM
Cloak of Weaponry from the MIC can store up to 25lbs as a swift action

Novawurmson
2014-01-20, 12:14 PM
There's always a familiar/trained monkey, I guess.

There's a similar feat in the Path of War releases, but, once again, that's 3rd party Pathfinder. DM fiat would definitely be the simplest, sanest thing to do (in my opinion).

Fitz10019
2014-01-20, 05:24 PM
... throw is an attack action.
I would say throw is an attack action when it is done as an attack. Throwing for the sake of displacing (so to speak) could be considered a move action (if there is no intent to attack).

Strategically, though, dropping the weapon where they think they can get it back would yield more fun, generally.

holywhippet
2014-01-20, 05:43 PM
I would say throw is an attack action when it is done as an attack. Throwing for the sake of displacing (so to speak) could be considered a move action (if there is no intent to attack).

The snatch arrows feat lets you catch a projectile weapon and, if it is a thrown weapon, you can throw it immediately. The feat says nothing about using an action and even says you can do it even if it is not your turn.

TuggyNE
2014-01-20, 06:57 PM

You can attack squares (AC 5 to hit a grid intersection, or you can try to attack a presumed invisible creature within), so no one sensible would ever actually need to use a move action if they didn't want to.

ericgrau
2014-01-21, 01:38 AM
Improvised thrown weapon, -4 to hit or -8 if you aren't proficient, -2 per 10 feet, 50 foot range limit vs AC 5. If you miss it goes 1 range increment in a random direction. So you can throw enemy weapons an entire 50 feet away pretty easily, and worst case scenario it only ends up 40 feet away instead.

Also reminds me of a character I had who managed to miss with a true strike due to the above and more. Them penalties...

SinsI
2014-01-21, 05:52 AM
Sleight of Hand allows you to take a -20 penalty to perform what is normally a standard action as a free action. It also allows you to palm a weapon from another creature and hide it on yourself at DC 50.

I'd houserule that "hiding" a weapon you already hold in your hand, without trying to conceal it into a scabbard you wear is a DC 0 use of this skill as a standard action.
Thus you'd need a DC 20 Sleight of Hand check to put a weapon you hold away as a free action, with no need for any feats.