PDA

View Full Version : Fighting with.....2 LONG SPEARS!!!

ExziusWhitefire
2014-01-19, 08:33 PM
So i was wondering if i could get some help from the community here on if this can be done. A medium size character picks up two long spears one in each hand. What feats do you think should be required to allow this to be possible, and gain advantage of having two reach weapons.

So right off the bat i came up with:
- Monkey Grip
- Two Weapon Fighting
- Oversized Two Weapon Fighting

What else do you think you would need to make this possible. Maybe a Homebrew Feat, or maybe this is completely bat crazy and i should just stick with pokemon and leave imagination games behind.

Rhynn
2014-01-19, 08:42 PM
Repeat the mantra: "Monkey Grip doesn't work that way."

Monkey Grip lets a Medium character wield a Large shortspear in one hand, or a Large spear or Large longspear in two hands, with a -2 penalty to attack rolls. It does not let the character wield a Medium spear or longspear in one hand.

(Also, reported post for move to correct subforum, this being a D&D 3.5 subforum, no need to thank me.)

Edit: Also, Large shortspears do not get 10 ft. reach (having an increased reach is basically a weapon quality, completely unrelated to the weapon's size; the final reach is related to the wielder's size).

OldTrees1
2014-01-19, 09:13 PM
Race: Diopsid look it up(Dragon Compendium) it is all about fighting with 2 two-handed weapons.

Seerow
2014-01-19, 09:19 PM
Edit: Also, Large shortspears do not get 10 ft. reach (having an increased reach is basically a weapon quality, completely unrelated to the weapon's size; the final reach is related to the wielder's size).

Which is where we get fun stuff like 60-80ft long spiked chains that can only attack 10ft away.

Rhynn
2014-01-19, 10:03 PM
Which is where we get fun stuff like 60-80ft long spiked chains that can only attack 10ft away.

Also technically a Tiny longspear doubles the reach of a Huge giant, etc.

The rules, they don't make sense! :smalleek:

But even if you make them make sense, Monkey Grip still doesn't work that way!

DarkSonic1337
2014-01-19, 10:41 PM
So i was wondering if i could get some help from the community here on if this can be done. A medium size character picks up two long spears one in each hand. What feats do you think should be required to allow this to be possible, and gain advantage of having two reach weapons.

- Monkey Grip
- Two Weapon Fighting

What else do you think you would need to make this possible. Maybe a Homebrew Feat, or maybe this is completely bat crazy and i should just stick with pokemon and leave imagination games behind.

If you want to dual wield reach weapons, take Exotic Weapon Profficiency (Kusarigama), take two weapon fighting, and buy some gloves of the balanced hand. Now you're wielding to finessable chain sickles with 5-10ft reach each.

For dual wielding long spears...get more arms or houserule a feat.

Raven777
2014-01-19, 10:47 PM
I take it somebody wants to be this guy?

http://cache.desktopnexus.com/thumbnails/879258-bigthumbnail.jpg

Psyren
2014-01-20, 12:35 AM
I take it somebody wants to be this guy?

http://cache.desktopnexus.com/thumbnails/879258-bigthumbnail.jpg

Those look like shortspears to me (which you can dual-wield just fine.)

Seerow
2014-01-20, 12:40 AM

Yeah a longspear is a reach weapon, literally a 7-10ft pole with a spearhead at the end. Those don't look more than 3-4ft.

Juntao112
2014-01-20, 01:35 AM

The rules, they don't make sense! :smalleek:
Presumably, the Tiny longspear is still long, but thinner so that a Tiny creature can hold it.

Hytheter
2014-01-20, 02:58 AM
If you have a DM lenient towards Pathfinder Material...

The third Level in the Phalanx Soldier (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/phalanx-soldier) Fighter Archetype lets you wield a polearm of any kind as a 1 handed weapon as long as you're wielding a shield. If that shield happens to be a buckler, you can use your shield hand to carry a weapon, such as another spear.
This means you can wield two spears at once, but hilariously lose that ability if you drop your buckler.

DarkSonic1337
2014-01-20, 04:48 AM

The red spear is longer than the picture depicts.

From the source material the red spear is 6.5 feet long, while the yellow spear is 4.5 feet long. The red one is still a little too short to be a long spear imo, but it is noted in the series that the red spear was useful for it's reach, while the yellow spear was used to fight at close range.

I'm a type moon fan.

Heliomance
2014-01-20, 08:00 AM
Play a thri-kreen?

OldTrees1
2014-01-20, 10:56 AM
Play a thri-kreen?

Thri-kreen vs Diopsid
2RHD +1LA vs 0RHD + 1LA
Requires Str and Dex vs Requires Str

Snowbluff
2014-01-20, 10:59 AM

Thri-kreen vs Diopsid
2RHD +1LA vs 0RHD + 1LA
Requires Str and Dex vs Requires Str

Diopsid look silly, and have crummy stats. Thri Kreen are for fite!

Seriously, TKs get enough dex off the bat.

I nominate Insectile. +2 for 4 more arms and some nice stuff like a special sense.

ZeroNumerous
2014-01-20, 11:28 AM
Well, you could use two Small longspears to have two one-handed reach weapons if you're medium-sized. You'll take a -2 penalty to attacks for using an inappropriately sized weapon, but you'd have taken the -2 penalty anyway with Monkey Grip.

As Small longspears are still reach weapons, they still enhance your reach. Though you may want to get armor spikes or something for attacking adjacent opponents.

Mechanically, aside from the Small longspear, you would need Oversized Two Weapon Fighting in order to count both your weapons as "light" and thus "merely" have an additional -2 penalty for dual-wielding.

Over all, you're looking at a -4 penalty to both attacks, attacking for 1d6+STR regardless of which weapon you're using, and you have two attacks at reach. You're burning the costs of two Small longspears, and two feats(TWF, and OTWF) to do it.

Of course, this is all strictly inferior to simply using a single normal sized longspear to stab dudes, but I presume you already knew this and simply are going for cool factor.

Seerow
2014-01-20, 11:30 AM
Well, you could use two Small longspears to have two one-handed reach weapons if you're medium-sized.

Join the rest of us in 3.5 land. Thanks.

ZeroNumerous
2014-01-20, 11:31 AM
Join the rest of us in 3.5 land. Thanks.

Read the rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#weaponSize) on weapon size in 3.5, thanks.

Cog
2014-01-20, 11:53 AM

Read the rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#weaponSize) on weapon size in 3.5, thanks.

The Rules Compendium adds this to the Inappropriately Sized Weapon text:

A wielder gains no reach from a reach weapon that is too
small. No additional reach is granted by a reach weapon that
is too big.

Big Fau
2014-01-20, 12:41 PM
Repeat the mantra: "Monkey Grip doesn't work that way."

Monkey Grip lets a Medium character wield a Large shortspear in one hand, or a Large spear or Large longspear in two hands, with a -2 penalty to attack rolls. It does not let the character wield a Medium spear or longspear in one hand.

(Also, reported post for move to correct subforum, this being a D&D 3.5 subforum, no need to thank me.)

It also doesn't allow an oversized weapon in the off-hand.

CombatOwl
2014-01-20, 02:53 PM

- Monkey Grip
- Two Weapon Fighting

In Pathfinder, creatures with more than 2 hands can wield two polearms if they take the phalanx fighter archetype. For example, a Xorn with 3 arms can wield two two-handed polearms, each in one hand, so long as the third hand is holding a shield. If they also have enough levels in Titan Mauler, they can wield two oversized polearms.