PDA

View Full Version : Librarian construct

Melcar
2014-01-19, 08:52 PM
Hello follow scribes...

I am looking for some help. I remember some time ago reading about a construct that could categorize and tidy up books in a library. It would give you a generel idea of what a bookshelf would contain. A study help construct for wizards... Can anyone help?

Thanks

PS. Dont recall if it was core or 3rd party material.

holywhippet
2014-01-19, 08:59 PM
I don't know of anything specific that can do that. If you are high level enough you could just cast simulacrum on yourself or someone who is good in a library.

Maginomicon
2014-01-19, 09:30 PM
You're probably referring to the eyeball construct from a Dragon Magazine somewhere... damn I can't remember where. I'll reply again when I've found it.

Endarire
2014-01-19, 10:02 PM
There's something similar, called the Autoscribe (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070326a), but that's for copying scrolls.

Maginomicon
2014-01-19, 10:23 PM
What I was thinking of is called the "Researcher". It's a magic item in Dragon Magazine #350 page 73.

Is that what you were looking for? :smallbiggrin:

Melcar
2014-01-20, 05:16 AM
What I was thinking of is called the "Researcher". It's a magic item in Dragon Magazine #350 page 73.

Is that what you were looking for? :smallbiggrin:

It might very well be that little thing your've found. Thanks... Only I think I remember something about it being able to tell you what the generel topics of an unknown pile of books contained... So when discovering a dusty bookshelf in a dungeon this little thing could tell you the general topics and give your a general idea of what information the bookshelf would contain. It might be wishful thingking though...

Uncle Pine
2014-01-20, 06:24 AM
It might very well be that little thing your've found. Thanks... Only I think I remember something about it being able to tell you what the generel topics of an unknown pile of books contained... So when discovering a dusty bookshelf in a dungeon this little thing could tell you the general topics and give your a general idea of what information the bookshelf would contain. It might be wishful thingking though...

A miniature warforged Wizard 1 with the scholar's touch spell could easily skim through a relatively big pile of books (assuming he has enough 1st level slots). If you don't have the Advanced Bestiary, an effigy of a Diminutive returned to nature giant Wizard 1 would work too. If you need to skim through bigger piles of books, optimize as needed. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314739)

Arael666
2014-01-20, 07:11 AM
I would use a flesh golen. I just love the idea of a big grunt frankenstein like monster being a librariam (and a bookworm).