PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Adhesives

Kazyan
2014-01-19, 09:58 PM
I'm planning an encounter for a low-level party, and I require the aid of an inexpensive adhesive that can deal with water. Sovereign Glue is too expensive for it to make sense in the encounter's context, so...anything really cheapo in the books?

Maginomicon
2014-01-19, 10:33 PM
The stick cantrip will do if the thing to be attached weighs 5 pounds or less.

There's also Holdfast

Holdfast

50gp, 1 lb. not including the rope; Alchemy DC 25

Since the tanglefoot bag`s invention, scholars and adventurers alike have looked for more ways to use the powerful but short-lived adhesive. One of the most successful variations is holdfast, a small bundle of the same adhesive attached to the end of a rope. When the rope is thrown with enough force and accuracy, the bundle breaks, creating a temporary means of securing the rope to the surface it was thrown against. Quieter than a grappling hook and easy to transport, holdfast has become an item of choice for those who have to infiltrate a walled structure or cross a dangerous chasm.

To attach the rope to the desired target, the character must make a ranged attack. A holdfast container has a range increment of 10 feet. Armor Class modifiers for size apply. Thus a character trying to hit any point high on a 30-foot-tall wall must try to hit AC 0 (the desired area of the wall is Huge, but no Armor Class can fall below 0) with a -4 penalty to hit because of the range (three range increments). A character who wants to hit a spot within 1 foot beneath a 2-foot-wide window high on a 40-foot-tall wall would have to hit AC 2 (+2 size modifier to AC because the desired target area is Tiny) and the character would suffer a -6 penalty to hit because of the range. Any missed attack has a 50% chance of causing the holdfast bundle to break against another surface (use the rules for the deviation of grenadelike weapons to determine where the holdfast struck on such a failed throw). One bag of holdfast can support 200 pounds until the adhesive loses its effectiveness. Holdfast lasts 1d4+3 rounds before becoming too weak to hold the rope in place. Creatures struck by holdfast can pull off the sticky bag with a successful Strength check (DC 27) or cut the attached rope.

Kazyan
2014-01-19, 10:38 PM
I've found a different way to accomplish what I want, but stick would have worked and I'll see if it can make things harder for the PCs. Thanks.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-20, 02:57 AM
For future games you could always cast mount and then boil down the horse for glue for free.

Edit: man that spell just has so many uses.