PDA

View Full Version : Leekie question

pendell
2007-01-23, 07:24 PM
I've seen a number of threads where people talk about Leekie as being a lackey of the Linear Guild.

What is the basis for this conclusion? When I read the story line, it looks to me as if he is not aligned with them -- wasn't in on the planning meetings, and when sprung from jail by Pompey, didn't say "let's go rescue our colleagues" -- he hired Pompey away from the LG, instead.

All these things suggest to me that Leekie is NOT part of the LG. Instead, he simply happened to spring his own diabolical plan at the same time Nale and company were springing theirs.

Evidence to the contrary welcome.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Setra
2007-01-23, 07:26 PM
I believe Leeky had already planned his assault, and Nale merely told him when to strike.

Obsidian Blade
2007-01-23, 07:55 PM
Well, Leeky would be a good 'evil opposite' for Durkon, being a gnome druid. I assumed he was part of the LG. Or maybe he merely sided with them to provide a better oppertunity to attack.

The Extinguisher
2007-01-23, 08:40 PM
I doubt he had much care for Nale and the gang. They were just a means to an end. YokYok was the same, was he not.

fwiffo
2007-01-23, 08:52 PM
Leekie is not a part of LG. But Leeky is. Not a particularly loyal part, sure, but a part anyway. Most likely he was in it for the money, so seeing how things did not go well for LG in Cliffport, he decided risk is too much for the money he got, and split.

Enlong
2007-01-23, 08:57 PM
I definately think Leeky was a part of the LG (weirdly coincidental acronym, huh?) Both because he helped get Elan alone (a lot of scenes of Leeky's handywork was part of Nale's speech about how all of Elan's teammates were preoccupied) and he fits the chain of Durkon opposites nicely. In addition to commanding trees where Durkon is terrified, and being kicked out of his order for real things he'd done, instead of the way Durkon was thrown out for a future he couldn't do anything about either way, his name ends with the same pattern of <classical element><Item in their possesion>. Windstaff fits with Thundershield and Firehelm perfectly.

Skydiving_Ninja
2007-01-23, 09:20 PM
Leeky WAS part of the linear guild, and was by far the most powerful of them (look how many OotSers it took to take him down). After he was imprisoned and then sprung free by Pompey, he kept away from the LG, probably because he realized that A. He could do better than Nale's group, and B. He is more concerned with advancing the good of the environment than getting revenge on Elan.

Personally, I can't wait until Leeky, Pompey, the Shadowdancer, and the Dwarf show up and encounter the OotS accidentally.

mockingbyrd7
2007-01-23, 09:25 PM
I believe Leeky had already planned his assault, and Nale merely told him when to strike.

That could be possible. Also, to the poster 1 above me, that might be very cool. I think it's very possible we see the assassins again.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2007-01-24, 12:49 AM
Though it hasn't been stated, and it has been assumed by Roy, and because Nale's big, convoluted plan involved getting Elan away from the OotS, and only Leeky was apparently able to pose a threat big enough to make that occur, it's assumed that Leeky Windstaff was the last member of the Linear Guild in their last encounter with the OotS.

Nightmarenny
2007-01-24, 12:53 AM
Oddly enough Nale never mentions Leeky and is cut off the only time he mentions the last member of the team. Hmm

TinSoldier
2007-01-24, 12:58 AM
I was going to cite the last panel of OotS #399 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0399.html) as evidence that Leeky was hired by Nale, but it is still inconclusive.

Probable, yes. Conclusive, no.

Hel65
2007-01-24, 01:18 AM
Well, I sure thought that it was a coincidence that Leeky struck the same time as LiG. Then again, the arrows pointed to the city park. So, definitely, Leeky and LiG were in cahoots. Though I think not as in "Leeky is a member of LiG" but more like cooperation between 2 evil parties.

Jewel Thief
2007-01-24, 01:49 AM
Yeah, when I first saw that comic, I was like, "What the hell?" At first I didn't realize Leeky was actually a part of the Linear Guild. His sudden introduction seemed to be a completely random, unrelated event, especially since he makes no mention of the Linear Guild at all (and instead talks about his own diabolical vendetta against his druid kin and the burghal residents of the city).

It wasn't until V mentioned she'd realized Nale's 'most likely plan and the oots's response' that I realized that he was actually one of Nale's cronies.

I think Leeky should be considered a member of the Linear Guild, albeit not a very loyal one (another contrast between the Order of the Stick under Roy's leadership, and the Linear Guild under Nale's leadership).

EDIT: I realized I had wrote Elan as Nale in the above post. When re-read, I was like, "What? Elan's cronies? Juli, you idiot."

Thomar_of_Uointer
2007-01-24, 02:02 AM
I think Leeky should be considered a member of the Linear Guild, albeit not a very loyal one (another contrast between the Order of the Stick under Roy's leadership, and the Linear Guild under Nale's leadership).

Yeah, Durkon is very loyal to Roy, whereas Leeky and Hilgya have never demonstrated any to Nale.

Querzis
2007-01-24, 02:53 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0252.html

The Linear guild already had two new members except Pompey so if Leeky is not Durkon opposite, who could it possibly be and where is he? Beside, Leeky is just a way too good opposite for Durkon. Not to mention the fact that coindence like this one never happen.

Snake-Aes
2007-01-24, 05:03 AM
Do any of you guys remember :thog: claiming to be delaying the boredom-driven rampage for the ice cream?The one Querzis just mentioned.
Nale mentioned his new teammates, and that they needed a mage to counter V. that leaves only yokyok and leeky.

Coincidence is NOT a possibility, everything was placed and Nale probably didn't convince Leeky with Money, it's not a druid thing... he probably offered Leeky the chance to strike against the city while he'd take care of the police.

Jewel Thief
2007-01-24, 10:50 AM
Maybe Leeky didn't even have any vendetta against the city. Against the druid council, yes, but not the city, until Nale made him "aware" (suggestion) of the city's fiendish imprisonment of his woody compainions.

hanzo66
2007-01-24, 11:47 AM
Didn't Julia mention that the group that kidnapped her included a Gnome and a Kobold?

Guildorn Tanaleth
2007-01-24, 01:33 PM
Didn't Julia mention that the group that kidnapped her included a Gnome and a Kobold?

Yes, yes she did. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0355.html)

PirateMonk
2007-01-24, 08:38 PM
Personally, I can't wait until Leeky, Pompey, the Shadowdancer, and the Dwarf show up and encounter the OotS accidentally.

As I keep saying, on various threads, Hinjo is the Shadowdancer and will return under the guidance of Mr. Scruffy, after killing Shojo (here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30672&page=6)).

The honest illusionist
2007-01-24, 08:59 PM
Come now PirateMonk, we both know that that can't happen before Xykon raises Trigak from the dead.

Spiky
2007-01-25, 12:03 AM
More proof of Leeky being part of the LG is in #351. Panel 5, Nale says so.