PDA

View Full Version : Getting Rage/Frenzy Without Class? (3.5)

BrokenChord
2014-01-20, 02:42 AM
Long story short, my DM has beefed up the Rage Mage (Complete Warrior, page 72) to have full casting progression rather than the pathetic "gains spells per day advancement every other level" and I'd like to make use of this with a Gold Dwarf (DMG, page 171) Sorcerer character I'm currently building, who will be starting at level 8. So, although I'm not *totally* adverse to throwing in a level of Barbarian, if it would be possible to get the Rage or Frenzy abilities to qualify for the class through feats or ACFs to avoid losing any caster levels, that'd be pretty cool. Oh, and since I can only start going into Rage Mage starting at level 7, I may as well do something more useful than Sorcerer for that 6th level, so if anybody has a good front-loaded PrC that doesn't sacrifice caster levels that I might throw in there, that'd be cool to know, too.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide!

Coidzor
2014-01-20, 02:45 AM
There's a flaw that gives you a rage which you can't voluntarily enter and which gives you no mechanical benefit to entering and so probably wouldn't get approved by your DM.

There's also a Dragon Magazine feat, from the one with the Wild Hunt or at least the deity the Master of the Hunt who leads the wild hunt, called Frenzied Hunt which gives a rage/frenzy which uses up uses of Turn Undead to activate.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-20, 02:59 AM
You could play as an anthropomorphic badger refluffed as a gold dwarf.

Nightraiderx
2014-01-20, 03:42 AM
Broodguard template in savage species is a +0
gives you claws and a bite and some resistances, but it hurts your int/cha

But it WILL give you 1/day rage
+2 dex +2 con-4 int -4 cha

you can offset the cha penalty with unsleelie fey and magic blooded templates

Unseelie Fey -2 Str +2 dex -2 con +2 cha
Magic Blooded +2 cha-2 wis

So you'd have:

-2 str +4 dex -2 wis -4 int but you'd have flight, claws and a bite, rage 1/day
dr/cold iron and a fey ability
immune to hold and charm spells, and snake poison.

Xintas
2014-01-20, 10:09 AM
Broodguard template in savage species is a +0
gives you claws and a bite and some resistances, but it hurts your int/cha

But it WILL give you 1/day rage
+2 dex +2 con-4 int -4 cha

you can offset the cha penalty with unsleelie fey and magic blooded templates

Unseelie Fey -2 Str +2 dex -2 con +2 cha
Magic Blooded +2 cha-2 wis

So you'd have:

-2 str +4 dex -2 wis -4 int but you'd have flight, claws and a bite, rage 1/day
dr/cold iron and a fey ability
immune to hold and charm spells, and snake poison.

And be a solid GOOOOOOOooold Cheese Dwarf. As a DM, I would seriously rather make you a feat than have a BS template like unseelie fey on top of two others.

Unfortunately, I do not see any feats that give you rage through, just the flaw and races/classes. All in all though, I would just take Barb 1 since you are getting 5 extra spellcaster levels anyway. Then use the feat to offset the -3 and -1 from Barb.

Coidzor
2014-01-20, 10:26 AM
This was discussed (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16604850&postcount=123)a bit (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16659527&postcount=139)in the Totemist Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287304) thread as part of qualifying for Shifter Savagery without dipping Barbarian.

So add Wolverine's Rage, Involuntary Rage, White Dragon Lineage, and the Short Tempered flaw to the list of prospective options.

BrokenChord
2014-01-20, 03:08 PM
Interesting prospect, there. I'll talk to my DM about whether or not he'd rule that White Dragon Lineage would qualify me for Rage Mage. Outside of that, I may end up dipping that Barbarian level after all, since Sorcerers generally can't Wild Shape (for Wolverine's Rage) and Involuntary Rage looks like a horrifyingly impractical feat unless I'm planning to start combats with my allies dealing more damage than I probably have health at this level.

And yeah, unfortunately I think I might break my DM if I try fitting that much cheese into the template blender. Thank you for the contribution, though, Nightraiderx!