PDA

View Full Version : Hot tub gaming

maniacalmojo
2014-01-20, 07:23 AM
So my friend owns a hot tub and i just helped him install a roof over it today and realized the cross brace lines up perfectly with the center of the hot tub. We are both nerds so i eventually had the idea to mount a projector over the hot tub and we want to have a D&D session inside said hot tub with the projector projecting the image of the grid down on the surface of the water.

So we were thinking of a child's plastic table placed in the center with a magnetic base on top that we would anchor our characters and a floating box that we would roll cheap dice into.

Its a relitivly fresh idea and i think crowd sourcing the internet to aid us in thinking of a good campaign idea or decent ways to use the hot tub to our advantage would be useful and appreciated.

Grizzled Gryphon
2014-01-20, 07:26 AM
I would suggest a desert campaign. All the water in the world is drying up...

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-20, 07:34 AM
So my friend owns a hot tub and i just helped him install a roof over it today and realized the cross brace lines up perfectly with the center of the hot tub. We are both nerds so i eventually had the idea to mount a projector over the hot tub and we want to have a D&D session inside said hot tub with the projector projecting the image of the grid down on the surface of the water.

So we were thinking of a child's plastic table placed in the center with a magnetic base on top that we would anchor our characters and a floating box that we would roll cheap dice into.

Its a relitivly fresh idea and i think crowd sourcing the internet to aid us in thinking of a good campaign idea or decent ways to use the hot tub to our advantage would be useful and appreciated.

Make it a naval campaign... You can even bring your own RC boats

Socratov
2014-01-20, 07:56 AM
Port the Pacific Rim movie into a DnD campaign. :smallbiggrin::smallcool:

Else, while you are all warm and good in the hottub, play something ice and snow themed.

Rubik
2014-01-20, 08:07 AM
I like the idea of the seafaring campaign. Go read The Voyage of the Dawn Treader for some ideas, and think about all the awesome and freaky things that could exist on islands out in the middle of the sea, separated from the rest of the world for who knows how many millennia. Rainforest tribes of frog-men, magical springs of eternal youth, gardens where ancient groves of legend grow, whirlpools draining down holes at the bottom of the sea which lead to massive waterspouts where they exit on the other side of the world, floating islands holding untold secrets, pirates roaming the shallows near the mainland, tropical paradises never before seen by mortals, the campaign setting's version of the Garden of Eden, Never Never Land...

I started (but never got to finish) a campaign where all the players were stranded on a tropical island à la Swiss Family Robinson. Most of them were children from the shipwreck, aside from one native islander who grew up with them on the island. They'd been on a mission of exploration and colonization across the sea. The only adult survivor of the catastrophe was an aging bard, hired to catalog their journey, who was forced to multiclass into ranger to survive. His eyesight was nearly gone by the time of the campaign, but he served as a father-figure for everyone, and had a wealth of information about the island as well as the world outside. They lived in a massive hollowed-out tree, living both inside the trunk and in hollowed-out rooms among the branches, replete with terraces and vine-rope bridges.

Several tribes of friendly grippli and other monstrous humanoids lived on the lush half of the island, defending it from the goblinoids who had devastated the other half to prevent the entire island from being stripped bare.

It never got this far, but I intended on giving the party a magical ship in a bottle, which, when removed, turned into a full-sized caravel which only needed someone to direct its movement to function, and could be returned to the unbreakable bottle to regenerate damage if desired. It would've turned out that the island itself was stuck in a magical time dilation, where time moved far more slowly than in the outside world. Over a thousand years had transpired outside, while on the island, only a decade or so had passed. More unfortunately for everyone involved, the storm which stranded them and killed most of the crew and passengers turned out to be the result of a magical detonation which wiped out most of the civilization they'd left, and the old country had since devolved into barbarism, ruled over by the lich who caused the explosion in the first place.

It would've been awesome, had it actually gone anywhere.

A_S
2014-01-20, 10:26 AM
I hope you plan on taking full advantage of this opportunity to tell people you're gonna go roleplay with your friend in a hot tub, but you're not sure which one of you will be the Dungeon Master this time.

Psyren
2014-01-20, 10:32 AM
Your major concern is probably going to be dry character sheets. (And also the projector possibly falling into the water.)

Jeff the Green
2014-01-20, 10:56 AM
Drink lots of water and eat an occasional salty snack so you don't dehydrate. And take breaks so you don't overheat.

Okay, okay, serious advice: In addition to Voyage of the Dawn Treader, read Moby ****, Robinson Crusoe, and Treasure Island. Watch Treasure Planet, Atlantis, and Muppet Treasure Island. Naval battles are awesome; there are some helpful rules in Stormwrack.

Zweisteine
2014-01-20, 03:07 PM
Find a way to weight objects to float at certain depths, and play an aquatic campaign, using the tub as a grid.

Use rulers for movement (1 inch = 5 feet), because you can't put a real grid in the water.

Of course, you might have a hard time not moving the figure a lot by accident, but it'd be so cool.

Alent
2014-01-20, 04:11 PM
Clearly, you need the nerd beachball for this one: http://nerdapproved.com/gaming/giant-inflatable-d20-the-dd-nerds-beach-ball/

I'll also echo what Zweisteine suggested. A submerged temple exploration with real water would be a blast.

G.Cube
2014-01-20, 04:19 PM
Your major concern is probably going to be dry character sheets. (And also the projector possibly falling into the water.)

Perhaps laminate them, then take a dry/wet erase marker to mark up stats? It wouldn't save the writing from getting washed up, but at least it would preserve the sheets.

duboisjf
2014-01-20, 04:34 PM
I hope you plan on taking full advantage of this opportunity to tell people you're gonna go roleplay with your friend in a hot tub, but you're not sure which one of you will be the Dungeon Master this time.

:smallbiggrin:

Time to build a bard in leather armor using a whip.

Grollub
2014-01-20, 06:00 PM

HAHA .. wouldnt that be an epic news story.. 4 people died in a hot tub today, electrocuted by a projector they hung over it. While all of them appeared over the age of 18, were playing with toy boats/figures in the water

Grizzled Gryphon
2014-01-20, 08:00 PM
:smallbiggrin:

Time to build a bard in leather armor using a whip.

Don't forget the oriental halfling side kick.

Rubik
2014-01-20, 08:03 PM
Don't forget the oriental halfling side kick.I think you might've missed the point there...

Kennisiou
2014-01-20, 08:11 PM
I think you might've missed the point there...

I dunno, maybe he's just waaaay kinkier than any of us expected.

Irk
2014-01-20, 08:11 PM
I think you might've missed the point there...

Oh my god, I'm dying of laughter!

Raimun
2014-01-20, 08:14 PM
Umm, not that I don't enjoy roleplaying games and water in general but is it really wise to mix them?

A game session lasts usually something like 5+ hours.

An enthusiastic swimmer could swim/chill in water for 2-3 hours, tops... anyone else? Way less than that.

I also think water and electronics don't mix that well...

Oh, and I recommend a cthulhu-campaign, starring dagon and the deep ones.