PDA

View Full Version : Some information about drows.

MrUberGr
2014-01-20, 07:31 AM
On our campaign we're starting soon, I'll be playing a Drow. I'd like to read a bit about their communities and lolth etc. Could some link some sources?

Also since we're not gonna be playing in a drow city, I must have left the underdark for some reason. I don't like the concept, "I'm disgusted by our evil way of life, so I'll flee." I'd like the concept of a criminal running for his life, or being sent onto the surface for some reason, yet since I don't know much about the Drows I can't think it up for myself.

P.S. The char is a male.

GPuzzle
2014-01-20, 08:28 AM
If he's a Ranger, make him a Ranged one and make him kind of a hillbilly, just that instead of the swamps, he's from the Underdark.

BWR
2014-01-20, 08:32 AM
Don't know about any good online resources, but reasons for leaving:
- I wanted to see what the surface world was like
- I'm an evil bastard but those spider-worshipping bitches in charge of my city are worse so I left
- My boss wants me to scout out some specific areas of the surface for nefarious purposes
- My house was destroyed and I'm the last scion of it and fled to the surface to elude pursuit.
- Magical accident transported me here and now I'm trying to find a way home (or not)
- I'm searching for the McGuffin

You don't really need anything more specific than that.

Scots Dragon
2014-01-20, 08:33 AM
Don't know about any good online resources, but reasons for leaving:
- I wanted to see what the surface world was like
- I'm an evil bastard but those spider-worshipping bitches in charge of my city are worse so I left
- My boss wants me to scout out some specific areas of the surface for nefarious purposes
- My house was destroyed and I'm the last scion of it and fled to the surface to elude pursuit.
- Magical accident transported me here and now I'm trying to find a way home (or not)
- I'm searching for the McGuffin

- I hear that surface women really go in for the 'tortured hero from an evil society' thing

Sith_Happens
2014-01-20, 08:42 AM
The best source if you have access to it is obviously Drow of the Underdark.

MrUberGr
2014-01-20, 09:44 AM
If he's a Ranger, make him a Ranged one and make him kind of a hillbilly, just that instead of the swamps, he's from the Underdark.
Yep, actually he's an archer ranger.

oooh, that's pretty nice.

- I hear that surface women really go in for the 'tortured hero from an evil society' thing

and this can be combined with the above :smallbiggrin:

The best source if you have access to it is obviously Drow of the Underdark.

Well, that's a 3.5 book, and we're playing 4. Guess I can read it for the lore.

BTW, did you play SWTOR? Cause there was a guild with your name!

BWR
2014-01-20, 09:47 AM
Drow of the Underdark is a 2e supplement, unless there was a3e one of the same name. The fluff should be fine still.

Sith_Happens
2014-01-20, 11:17 AM

Drow of the Underdark is a 2e supplement, unless there was a3e one of the same name. The fluff should be fine still.

There's a 2e version and a 3.5 version. Most of the fluff in the latter should still be good, just cross-check with wherever Drow show up in 4e to know what has in fact changed.

Yes, I did (and am semi-planning to resume soon-ish), and I'd be surprised if there wasn't a guild called Sith Happens. On every server.

MrUberGr
2014-01-20, 03:40 PM
It's funny cause there's drow in HotFK and in the Forgotten Realms campaign, that are pretty different. Eh well, I'll give the 3.5 a look and what I can find from 4.

Aron Times
2014-01-20, 04:08 PM
Do note that there isn't a single backstory for the drow in D&D. It really depends on the setting. In the Forgotten Realms, the drow are a matriarchal society that worships Lolth. In Eberron, they're elves who remained on the jungle-continent of Xen'Drik after the elven race was liberated from enslavement by the giants, whereas the other elven races migrated to other parts of the world. In other settings, e.g. Greyhawk, drow aren't strictly matriarchal and males can be clerics.

CombatOwl
2014-01-20, 04:10 PM
Yep, actually he's an archer ranger.

oooh, that's pretty nice.

and this can be combined with the above :smallbiggrin:

Alternately; "I'm a greedy bastard, and there's probably a lot of loot up on the surface that those vile surface elves stole from us so long ago. It belongs to me, and it should be mine alone. I'll not be cowed by bright lights and the murmuring of vain gods."

Sith_Happens
2014-01-20, 05:14 PM
Do note that there isn't a single backstory for the drow in D&D. It really depends on the setting. In the Forgotten Realms, the drow are a matriarchal society that worships Lolth. In Eberron, they're elves who remained on the jungle-continent of Xen'Drik after the elven race was liberated from enslavement by the giants, whereas the other elven races migrated to other parts of the world. In other settings, e.g. Greyhawk, drow aren't strictly matriarchal and males can be clerics.

Most settings besides Eberron are at least similar to the Forgotten Realms version, though.

MrUberGr
2014-01-20, 05:32 PM
The forgotten realms are the version I had in mind as well, and so does our dm cause we've both read the books.

GolemsVoice
2014-01-20, 05:54 PM
If you have the time to read, you could read "War of the Spider Queen" which deals with a bunch of Drow during Lolth's silence. It's set in Faerun, sure, but you'll get a lot of information about Drow society and character, how they wage war, and all kind of stuff. The books are also decent by themselves, although there's six of them, so you should bring some time.

Another reason why he could be on the surface is banishment. For Drow, the surface is a punishment for several reasons:

1.) He's away from Drow politics, and that means he can't spin and partake in the endless intrigues that Drow love so much.
2.) It's a place Drow hate, and where, in their mind, inferior people live, so it's a big humiliation. Drow are all about humiliating each other.
3.) Being on the surface is painful for Drow, since they are very sensitive to light. Also it's plain unfamiliar, and your character will hate it.

Aron Times
2014-01-20, 07:58 PM
Since this takes place in the 4e Forgotten Realms, you should know that the drow are slightly more common and accepted in the surface compared to 3e and 3.5. More and more drow have established connections and trade relations with the surface, and while most drow are still the chaotic evil Lolth-worshippers we all love to hate, you will at least benefit from not being killed on sight near surface settlements.

You will be distrusted, yes, that is a given, but at least you won't be outright killed.

A similar situation has arisen among orcs, which now have their own nation: The Empire of Many-Arrows. 4e Forgotten Realms orcs can be described as similar to Klingons from Star Trek, a proud warrior race with alien notions of honor (they are still chaotic evil by human standards, but slightly less evil and chaotic than 3e).

Mr Beer
2014-01-20, 09:42 PM
Your a male, so you could be fleeing because you're annoyed about being treated as a second class citizen all the time. Second class in drow society is probably a fairly precarious position.

Weirdlet
2014-01-20, 10:51 PM
"I hear they have beer that is not made of lichen. So long, Ma."

"Get back here, you little ingrate-!"

GPuzzle
2014-01-21, 04:56 AM
You know, the whole "troubled classy hero from evil society" stereotype could be given a slap in the face and spun upside down for a rather original Drow.

OldTrees1
2014-01-21, 06:40 AM
The first book in The Dark Elf Trilogy by R. A. Salvatore gives a detailed look into the lives of Drow nobles. It also revolves around Drizzt. One of the problems with playing a Drow is that so many Drizzt clone characters have been made. Familiarity with Drizzt would help avoid building a Drizzt clone.

Some of the other books by R. A. Salvatore go into other drow including the infamous Jarlaxle (greedy evil social rogue with about 10x the magic items one could wear)

Daer
2014-01-21, 12:45 PM
drows have french accent when they speak common.
at least what i have watched games where Chris Perkins is DM

BWR
2014-01-21, 01:52 PM
If you're interested in FR drow, the War of the Spider Queen series (idea by salvatore but written by various other authors) is focused on the backstabbing coniving kind, not the emo hero.
Also, Elaine Cunningham's Starlight and Shadows series centers on a drow going to the surface, but one who is very much Chaotic Neutral - not malicious but in it for herself and can't really be arsed to help others without a lot of prodding.