PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Alchemist creation of extracts/bombs/etc.

MariettaGecko
2014-01-20, 12:08 PM
So I have searched through Google, and haven't found anything which seems to clarify this one on any site (including this one), and the main pathfinder content doesn't make this one clear either, so I thought I would post it here and see what people thought of this one.

Per the Pathfinder game, the Alchemist gets the ability to create Extracts/Infusions/Bombs/Mutagens as a class skill (infusions only after a particular discovery). It references the Alchemy ability for doing these things, but doesn't clearly state how these are made.

Is it necessary to perform a Craft (alchemy) check when attempting to create one of these? When I talk about creating the bomb, I'm referring to creating the catalyst vial. I think that a Craft (Alchemy) check would seem to make sense, but the rules are unclear as to whether this is necessary, or what the base DC of such a check would be, assuming it is. Thoughts on this one?

Spore
2014-01-20, 12:12 PM
If you find nothing about that, possibility is high that you simply do not need to make a Craft (Alchemy) check. Same as Wizards do not need a Spellcraft check for their memorization or Clerics roll Diplomacy on their prayers :D

There is a reason why bombs, mutagens or extracts don't work initially for other people. Because this is not basic chemistry but partly magic.

Psyren
2014-01-20, 12:55 PM
No check is required to make any of these.

Incidentally, Extracts and Infusions are basically the same thing. "Infusion" refers to an extract created via the Infusion discovery, which can be passed around to allies without becoming inert when it leaves the alchemist's possession.