PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new stationary computer - need help

AshesOfOld
2014-01-20, 01:21 PM
As per the title, I'm buying a new stationary computer. I'm looking for something good for gaming and able to run Pro Tools (a program for producing music).
Can any of you tell me if these computers I've found:
- have good hardware in general
- have good sound hardware
And also:
- if I should upgrade to the ssd 250gb.

I have found 3 offers at a firm called Vision (beware, it's in danish, but I'll translate the necessary bits).

1: Vision Game (http://www.mm-vision.dk/produkter/vispcsystem.asp?action=vis&menu=computer&varenr=99107&type=pcsystem). Needs to be upgraded to ssd, I think.

Vision Game - Intel® Core™ i5-4570 4x3.20GHz (Turbo 3.60GHz)
Motherboard: Asus B85M-E bundkort (PCI-E 3.0)
CPU cooler: Temperature controlled cooler
Ram: Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM
Harddisk 1: Seagate 1000GB harddisk (7200rpm, 64MB cache) Can be changed for SSD
Harddisk 2: Ekstra harddisk can be added
Graphic: Asus GeForce GTX760 OC 2GB GDDR5 (DirectCUII)
Kabinet: Vision G-Series V2 Gaming kabinet
Power: Raidmax RX-600 power supply (80+ Bronze certified)
Sound: High Definition Audio
Drive: Asus 24x DVD-burner Dual layer
Netcard: 100/1000 Mb/s, Supports ACPI Power Management
Software: All drivers included
Power usage: Windows ca. 55 Watt / 3DMark ca. 155 Watt
Measurements: (WxDxH) 186 x 499 x 419mm
Ports/connections:
5 x USB 2.0 Porte
3 x USB 3.0 Ports
1 x RJ-45 LAN 100/1000 Gigabit Jack
2 x DVI & 1 x HDMI

2: Vision Game Green (http://www.mm-vision.dk/produkter/vispcsystem.asp?action=vis&menu=computer&varenr=99120&type=pcsystem). Focused on low noise and extra cooling (my girlfriend likes this one)

Game Green - Intel® Core™ i5-4570 4x3.20GHz (Turbo 3.60GHz)
Motherboard: Asus B85M-E Haswell
CPU cooler: Scythe super silent cooler
Ram: Kingston 8 GB DDR3-1600 HyperX RAM
Harddisk: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Sata3 SSD (Solid State Disk) Can be upgraded
Graphic: Asus GeForce GTX760 OC 2GB GDDR5 (DirectCUII) (Silent cooler)
Kabinet: Vision Silent Phantom kabinet with noise dampener and extra cooler
Power: Raidmax RX-635 Modular silent power supply (80+ certified)
Sound: High Definition Audio (Dolby Home Theater)
Drive: Asus 24x DVD-burner Duallayer
Netcard: 100/1000 Mb/s Realtek Gigabit LAN
Cooler: Ekstra low-noise coolers mounted.
Measurements: (LxWxH) 51cm x 20cm x 44,5cm
Power usage: Windows ca. 45 Watt / 3DMark ca. 120 Watt
Ports/connections:
5 x USB 2.0 Porte
3 x USB 3.0 porte
1 x DVI & 1 x HDMI

3: Vision Game Plus (http://www.mm-vision.dk/produkter/vispcsystem.asp?action=vis&menu=computer&varenr=99111&type=pcsystem). Test winner, said to be good and easibly upgradable.

Game Plus - Intel® Core™ i5-4670K 4x3.40GHz (Turbo 3.80GHz)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-K motherboard
CPU cooler: Temperature controlled cooler
Ram: Kingston 8 GB DDR3-2133 HyperX Beast-series
Harddisk 1: Intel 180GB SSD (Solid State Disk) Can be upgraded
Harddisk 2: Ekstra harddisk kan be added
Graphic: Asus GeForce GTX760 2GB OC graphic card (DirectCUII)
Kabinet: Vision G-Series V2 Gaming kabinet
Power supply: Raidmax RX-600AF power supply supersilent 16dB (80+ Bronze certified)
Sound: High Definition Audio (Dolby Home Theater)
Drive: Asus 24x DVD-burner Dual layer
Net card: 100/1000 Mb/s Realtek 8111 Gigabit LAN
Software: All drivers included.
Cooler: Ekstra 120mm cooler mounted
Power usage: Windows ca. 45 Watt / 3DMark ca. 155 Watt
Measurements: (LxWxH) 49cm x 20cm x 44,5cm
Ports/connnections:
5 x USB 2.0 Porte
3 x USB 3.0 Porte
2 x DVI & 1 x HDMI

EDIT: The links should work now, and I added the CPU :smalltongue:.

Thank you so much!

godshawk
2014-01-20, 01:39 PM
My humble opinion:

Build it yourself. It's generally cheeper.

Edit: I also wouldn't really trust the power supplies in any of them. Raidmax PSUs *tend* to blow up...

Drumbum42
2014-01-20, 04:48 PM
My humble opinion:

Build it yourself. It's generally cheeper.

Edit: I also wouldn't really trust the power supplies in any of them. Raidmax PSUs *tend* to blow up...

Agreed, but that depends on budget. Buying a new copy of Windows often makes the cheaper builds more costly then just buying one in the store and buying upgrades.

So, what is your budget?

AshesOfOld
2014-01-21, 05:06 AM
@Godshawk: I would, but A: I don't really have the technological know-how, and B: Like Drumbum said, Windows and the individual parts can get pretty expensive, especially in Denmark with the high taxes. That's why we generally look for special offers.
And 'blow up'? As in explode or just stop working? And how 'tendy'?

@Drumbum: Around 1100-1200$. That's 6000-7000 danish crowns. I do already have a half-decent monitor and mouse, so I'm hoping to save some money there.

Brother Oni
2014-01-21, 07:29 AM
And 'blow up'? As in explode or just stop working? And how 'tendy'?

While generally 'blow up' means 'stop working and potentially send an electrical discharge into your computer which can fry half a dozen other components', apparently some guys did some load testing on a low end Raidmax PSU which did actually explode and catch on fire (there's a video of it out there somewhere).

As for 'tendy', some hardware reviews state that they're generally a bunch of junk that can't deliver their listed voltage even when not exploding.

AshesOfOld
2014-01-23, 07:54 AM
Well, you don't want that to happen.
Have you heard any problems specific to the model they install, the RX-600AF?

I spent half an hour googling it, but all I could find was second-hand speculation, except for one guy saying, as Brother Oni did about them in general, that it didn't deliver near listed voltage.

Brother Oni
2014-01-23, 04:18 PM
Well, you don't want that to happen.
Have you heard any problems specific to the model they install, the RX-600AF?

I spent half an hour googling it, but all I could find was second-hand speculation, except for one guy saying, as Brother Oni did about them in general, that it didn't deliver near listed voltage.

The only negative thing I can find about that particular model these days is that the manufacturer's warranty is only 2 years instead of the standard 5 years for almost every other PSU on the market. That suggests they have no confidence in their product which should be a warning as to the quality of it.

Other than that, it's apparently a decent bargain price PSU for that voltage, but my recommendation is that you should always pay a bit extra for quality when it comes to PSUs as if that goes, it can take your whole computer with it.

hicegetraenk
2014-01-24, 08:31 AM
Considering you want 'good sound hardware' you might want to include an audio card. I don't know what sound quality you are used to, and most onboard sound chips do just fine, but a real card will increase quality (given you also have speakers that allow for differentiation).
Brands you could look out for would be creative/terratec, with prices ranging from almost 0 to 'insert what you can afford here'.

SSD is a nice gimmick to have, but I'd say it is not worth its cost in terms of improving perfomance in games. What games really want is a nice graphics adapter, then nothing, then cpu, then all the rest. You might want to put the extra money in less SSD and more graphic power.

Then I gotta ask: Is it just me or do your specs miss the actual CPU?

Also your links link to error pages.

Concerning the suggestion to build the machine yourself: yes, it is cheaper, but this is no must. Usually you can scramble together single parts online in a webshop and add the option for the store guys to assemble for like 20-100$ (yes, this actually varies a lot). If you don't feel confident enough to screw your 1200$ together, you should not do it. It is easier than most people think, but there's still room for mistakes, that could cost you real money.

Buying a complete predefined package like these on the other hand I would only recommend to people who have no idea of what they want, how much they can afford and which prices are good / are not. The amount of money you pay for these things is absurd, and the rig I configured myself almost 2 years ago mops the floor with these 3, and it was about 100$ over your 1200$ budget (so it would be like... I'd say 900$ now).

AshesOfOld
2014-01-24, 11:03 AM
@Oni: That's the standard in Denmark regarding any electronics, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Thank you for taking your time!

@hicegetraenk: Can you just install any soundcard regardless of the onboard chip, or do they work against each other?

I just noticed the CPU and the links :smallredface:. I'll go fix it now.

I don't think I'm up for building it myself. I don't have a lot of knowledge in the area and I don't wanna end up ruining something.
Then do you recommend that I go look for an offer in a store and read the contents carefully, or?

Drumbum42
2014-01-24, 11:19 AM
@Oni: That's the standard in Denmark regarding any electronics, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Thank you for taking your time!

@hicegetraenk: Can you just install any soundcard regardless of the onboard chip, or do they work against each other?

I just noticed the CPU and the links :smallredface:. I'll go fix it now.

I don't think I'm up for building it myself. I don't have a lot of knowledge in the area and I don't wanna end up ruining something.
Then do you recommend that I go look for an offer in a store and read the contents carefully, or?

Sorry for not responding earlier, but if you are not up for building it yourself you can always see if any of your friends are tech savvy enough to build it. If the answer is still no, then it's back to Pre-built computers and seeing what specs each PC has for what price.

Don Julio Anejo
2014-01-24, 11:50 AM
I do want to point out that an SSD is NOT a gimmick. If anything, the sound card is more of a gimmick unless you do audio work and whatnot.

There's a huge difference between taking 3 seconds to load a program, and taking 2 minutes. There's also a noticeable stutter with a regular hard drive when you want to access something you haven't been using at the moment that's gone with an SSD.

It's honestly the single best upgrade you can do for non-3D performance.

AshesOfOld
2014-01-24, 01:20 PM
I found a new offer from a different firm:XTREME-PC,INTEL-i5-4570,GTX770-2G,500HD,8G-RAM (http://topdata.dk/product.asp?product=9194)
The graphics card should be better. I don't know about the rest.
You can upgrade the 500GB Harddisc to an SSD120 for 70$ or SSD250 for 150$. That's slightly more expensive than the other offers.
I can't copy and translate it, but I think you should be able to identify the different data without problems.

Are these offers bad? Please bear in mind that this is Denmark, a very highly taxed country. The price will be much lower in the US or Germany, but importing is not an option. Import taxes are just as high :smallannoyed:.

Don Julio Anejo
2014-01-24, 03:05 PM
I found a new offer from a different firm:XTREME-PC,INTEL-i5-4570,GTX770-2G,500HD,8G-RAM (http://topdata.dk/product.asp?product=9194)
The graphics card should be better. I don't know about the rest.
You can upgrade the 500GB Harddisc to an SSD120 for 70$ or SSD250 for 150$. That's slightly more expensive than the other offers.
I can't copy and translate it, but I think you should be able to identify the different data without problems.

Are these offers bad? Please bear in mind that this is Denmark, a very highly taxed country. The price will be much lower in the US or Germany, but importing is not an option. Import taxes are just as high :smallannoyed:.
I can't comment on the price, but the computer itself is quite nice. Graphics card is actually great, the GTX 770 is about 2nd/3rd highest tier you can get, and anything significantly better will cost you 1.5x more for 1.25x the performance. It sells for at least $350 USD at the moment, often for more.

Do keep in mind: the i5-4570 can't be overclocked. The computer also comes with a B75 chipset motherboard, which means any BIOS options like overclock capability, voltages, timings for RAM, etc, will be severely limited should you wish to get into it in the future; you need a Z87 series for that.

Is it an option to drive down to Germany and simply purchase a PC? We do that all the time in Canada if we live close enough to the border.

Check which brand the SSD is from and post it here, some are better than others (Intel/Crucial/Samsung are generally the best), as some brands tend to be extremely unreliable (*cough* OCZ *cough*).

AshesOfOld
2014-01-24, 03:57 PM
Just to see if I understand what you mean: Will no overclocking mean that I can't optimize its power much further at a later date, since the CPU limits it?

The motherboard can be upgraded to an Asus Z87-K for 50$.

I could buy one in Germany, but it's illegal if I don't pay the import taxes (which are quite high, as I've noted before), and I'd rather buy it in Denmark, since it will be easier concerning repairs.

The SSD is a Samsung 840 evo.

Are the coolers strong enough?

Don Julio Anejo
2014-01-24, 10:08 PM
Overclocking (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overclocking). Not sure what you mean "power can't be optimized at a later date" so just want to clarify we're talking about the same thing.

If you don't care about raising your CPU clocks (frequency) and getting a better cooler, this will do just fine. Otherwise, a Z87 motherboard and an i5-4670k may be worth it for you.

Everything else is fine.

Eldariel
2014-01-25, 04:38 AM
I could buy one in Germany, but it's illegal if I don't pay the import taxes (which are quite high, as I've noted before), and I'd rather buy it in Denmark, since it will be easier concerning repairs.

If you look around for shops, there usually exist shops that do the importing for you and sell components real cheap. At least in Finland there are some shops that have their goods officially in Germany, and if there are problems with the quality, the product is simply sent back to Germany for repairs. They can sell components for a substantially lower price.

Finland has "hintaseuranta.fi" for price comparisons; the name basically means "pricecomparisons.fi" and I'd be surprised if such a site didn't exist for Denmark too. So I suggest you Google it up and see where you can get a computer nice and cheap. It's worth noting that if you own a Windows license already there's no need to repurchase it. Or you can just use Linux; those are free.

sana
2014-01-25, 05:13 PM
If you want to consider building it yourself try Alternate.DK I just checked and the prices are only marginally higher than the German ones.

Example a GTX770 costs 5€ more (300€ in Germany 305€ in Denmark).

The PC-builder is pretty good and keeps you from screwing up.

Also at least in Europe it's perfectly legal to buy second hand windows licenses.
So you can save a bunch on those if you search a bit.

AshesOfOld
2014-01-26, 05:51 AM
I'll look into that, thank you so much.

If I do get the Z-87 motherboard and an i5-4670k, do I need a better CPU cooler? Would ArcticCooling do? Or the Coolermaster Hyper TX3?

Another question: Do you prefer Windows 7 or 8?

In the computer I'm considering, you can buy either windows 8.1 or 7 premium for the same price, and have it installed for a further 35$.

Is either easy to install yourself?

Eldariel
2014-01-26, 07:38 AM
Both are supereasy to install. You just run the installation program (I prefer USB but DVD works too), input what it asks you (I think it wants country/keyboard settings, username and computer name) and let it install itself for like 10 mins from USB or 30 mins from DVD.

And at the present, I'd prefer Windows 7; 8 still has plenty of kids' diseases and the reported user experience has overall been quite negative.

AshesOfOld
2014-01-27, 04:19 PM
Still? Wow, that's.. not very impressive.
Ok, thank you so much!

Elder Tsofu
2014-01-27, 04:26 PM
It depends really, I've used 8 from the start and the only real problem I've had is that when you upgrade to 8.1 from 8 the ability to refresh gets broken.
Buying 8.1 (so you get the dvd) bypasses the problem though.

It is a slightly different user interface though, so you probably have to take half an hour to familiarize yourself.

Don Julio Anejo
2014-01-27, 04:33 PM
It depends really, I've used 8 from the start and the only real problem I've had is that when you upgrade to 8.1 from 8 the ability to refresh gets broken.
Buying 8.1 (so you get the dvd) bypasses the problem though.

It is a slightly different user interface though, so you probably have to take half an hour to familiarize yourself.
Not to start a Holy War, but _don't_ bother with Windows 8 if you a) game, or b) do any serious work on that PC.

A lot of games are broken by 8.1 (to the point where people often report fps 20-40% lower, and mouse drivers often fail), while the interface is extremely frustrating to do things like office work/serious multitasking.

A few people will say otherwise, along the lines of "you just have to learn it," but my point is, there is so much more to learn, and so many things are changed (often for the worse) just for the sake of change that it's just not worth it to most. Hence the less-than-stellar opinions on Windows 8.

Elder Tsofu
2014-01-27, 05:09 PM
Just as a side-point, the user-interface is almost identical when you are working - that is when you are in desktop mode. So I'm not sure what serious work Don Julio Anejo gets up to that is so problematic. :smallsmile:

Don Julio Anejo
2014-01-27, 05:21 PM
Just as a side-point, the user-interface is almost identical when you are working - that is when you are in desktop mode. So I'm not sure what serious work Don Julio Anejo gets up to that is so problematic. :smallsmile:
Taking 3 times longer to get to system settings cause no start menu? Hiding your entire desktop when you need to find a utility/system setting? Needing to use both a mouse and a keyboard, where before just one sufficed? Hidden shut down button in the right pane? I could go on and on, but in general, Windows 8 is a really good kernel.... with extremely questionable interface changes for the sake of changing things with no good reason.

A computer, especially a desktop computer, is not a cell phone and shouldn't have the interface to match.

factotum
2014-01-28, 03:36 AM
Taking 3 times longer to get to system settings cause no start menu?

There's actually an incredibly useful shortcut that bypasses all that cobblers--press Windows + X to get a menu of useful stuff (including an administrative command prompt). The fact they *had* to introduce a shortcut like that because they bished up the mouse-operated side of things tells its own story, mind you!

It's not like they even managed the original purpose of the Windows 8 UI--namely, that you could write the same application that would run on desktop PCs, phones and tablets. The UI for the three things is the same, true, but the APIs for Windows, Windows Phone and Windows RT are all slightly different.

Elder Tsofu
2014-01-28, 08:05 AM
Taking 3 times longer to get to system settings cause no start menu? Hiding your entire desktop when you need to find a utility/system setting? Needing to use both a mouse and a keyboard, where before just one sufficed? Hidden shut down button in the right pane? I could go on and on, but in general, Windows 8 is a really good kernel.... with extremely questionable interface changes for the sake of changing things with no good reason.

A computer, especially a desktop computer, is not a cell phone and shouldn't have the interface to match.

It takes two clicks with the mouse or a fast keyboard short-cut search to get to system settings. You can also put system settings (or individual parts thereof) on the start screen for easy access, making it a two-click affair.
The desktop is not hidden since you work in it.
Mouse and keyboard seem to work as before, have they've slightly changed your hotkeys? :smallsmile:

hicegetraenk
2014-01-28, 11:42 AM
Late response but: You can install any sound card and then forget about the onboard chip. The card comes with its own drivers and I/O, and as you use them, there onboard chip simply won't do anything anymore.

A sound card is _not_ a gimmick if you want good sound quality, as the op requested. It is true though that many pals out there don't hear a difference, and most modern onboard chips are ok, but none of them is fit for use in professional environment. 'Producing music' can mean a lot of things, from putting sample bits together in magix music maker for 20$, or, professional editing and such from scratch, where you might want to pay your spare $$$ on sound quality.

Having a SSD is a nice touch, but an expensive one if you want to store a lot of data, depending on brands 1GB of storage is 10-20x the price, and I'd say the vast majority of gamers do not toss around big data in a fashion that would cause me to call it a "necessary" feature of a pc.

factotum
2014-01-28, 02:44 PM
Having a SSD is a nice touch, but an expensive one if you want to store a lot of data

Which is why you don't use an SSD for bulk storage--you use it for your OS and maybe some of your programs and games that you want to start faster, and keep a spinning rust second drive for the big stuff.

Don Julio Anejo
2014-01-28, 10:50 PM
A sound card is _not_ a gimmick if you want good sound quality, as the op requested. It is true though that many pals out there don't hear a difference, and most modern onboard chips are ok, but none of them is fit for use in professional environment. 'Producing music' can mean a lot of things, from putting sample bits together in magix music maker for 20$, or, professional editing and such from scratch, where you might want to pay your spare $$$ on sound quality.
For actual producing music? Yes.

In general though, actually hearing a difference from a good sound card requires professional/high-end speakers in like $300+ range, or $200 monitor headphones.

hicegetraenk
2014-01-29, 07:55 AM
Which is why you don't use an SSD for bulk storage--you use it for your OS and maybe some of your programs and games that you want to start faster, and keep a spinning rust second drive for the big stuff.

And that is why I called it a gimmick, because if you put your OS and your OS only on the SSD, it'll load in ~half the time. Computers nowadays need less than a minute to boot though, and normal users start theirs once or twice a day. Figures you'd pay for maybe 60 seconds of bonus spare time a day. ;)

FLHerne
2014-01-30, 05:26 AM
And that is why I called it a gimmick, because if you put your OS and your OS only on the SSD, it'll load in ~half the time. Computers nowadays need less than a minute to boot though, and normal users start theirs once or twice a day. Figures you'd pay for maybe 60 seconds of bonus spare time a day. ;)Why would you do that though? Put your OS and non-huge programs you use regularly (browser, document/spreadsheet/image editors, mail client...) on it. You save a few seconds every time, and that's worth it.

factotum
2014-01-30, 07:20 AM
My point exactly--I never said to *only* put the OS on there, but to also put on "programs and games you want to start faster" on there as well.

AshesOfOld
2014-01-30, 09:58 AM
Thank you all for the very helpful advice so far! I've learned a lot :smallsmile:.

Concerning the sound card, since I'm not gonna have decent speakers or headphones any time soon, and I'm not producing for anyone famous but merely for my own pleasure, I think I'm better off just with the onboard sound. It's not impossible to install later on, is it?

Okay, so I think I'm gonna buy the 'XTREME GAME (http://topdata.dk/product.asp?product=9194)' pc I linked to earlier (gotta love those names). Question is, what, if any, upgrades should I get? Which are relevant and which are not?

If I buy it with the specs listed, I give 1091 $.

Based on the recommendations I've received here, I can upgrade it:

Harddrive
500HD 120SSD 54$

CPU
Intel i5 4570, 3.2GHZ(3.6) i5 4670K 36$

CPU-cooler
Actually don't know ArcticCooling 18$

Power supply
550W XFX GX650W 18$

Motherboard
Asus B85M-G Asus Z-87-K(+2133MHZ RAM) 54$

Windows 8.1 (not installed) 127$

Windows 7 Premium (not installed) 145$

Don Julio Anejo
2014-01-30, 05:54 PM
Concerning the sound card, since I'm not gonna have decent speakers or headphones any time soon, and I'm not producing for anyone famous but merely for my own pleasure, I think I'm better off just with the onboard sound. It's not impossible to install later on, is it?
Nope, literally snap open the case and stick in a sound card wherever it fits
(it'll be one of the spare PCI slots).

Harddrive
500HD 120SSD 54$
As people have pointed out, you kinda need both: the 500 GB HD for bulk storage, and a small-ish (120 GB is fine) SSD for your OS and most programs. However, if you're going to install the OS yourself, it might be cheaper to just buy an SSD wherever you get the best price and stick it in yourself.

CPU
Intel i5 4570, 3.2GHZ(3.6) i5 4670K 36$
Up to you to decide if you want to overclock by a lot. Otherwise i5-4570 is just fine and will run any and all games you throw at it for the next little bit.

CPU-cooler
Actually don't know ArcticCooling 18$
It's perfectly fine to stick with the stock cooler for now and upgrade it later. If I don't know the model of the upgrade, it's hard to know whether it's really an upgrade, or if it's worth it. In general though, the best cheap cooler is Coolermaster Hyper 212 (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099) (plus or EVO don't matter, they're both basically the same thing).

Power supply
550W XFX GX650W 18$
GTX 770 video card requires a 600W power supply... It's weird to me they even give you an option to put in a 550W one.

Motherboard
Asus B85M-G Asus Z-87-K(+2133MHZ RAM) 54$
I'm a little confused by the "+2133MHz RAM" part. Motherboard, again, decide if you want to overclock. RAM itself, 1600 MHz is perfectly fine, higher clock RAM provides very few advantages and nothing that's in any way noticeable.

Eldariel
2014-01-30, 05:56 PM
It's also worth noting that if you play around with video (or just have large game collections), 500gb is surprisingly little and I have three times that in use presently without most of my stuff even installed, let alone unpacked video image or some such.

Elder Tsofu
2014-01-30, 07:29 PM
As people have pointed out, you kinda need both: the 500 GB HD for bulk storage, and a small-ish (120 GB is fine) SSD for your OS and most programs. However, if you're going to install the OS yourself, it might be cheaper to just buy an SSD wherever you get the best price and stick it in yourself.

A hard-drive is really easy to install, so buying a small SSD lose is definitely something worth looking at. I'd expect the company selling the computer includes a few spare wires so you can hook it up nice and easy.

AshesOfOld
2014-01-31, 06:25 AM
So I ordered the Xtreme game computer today. With an SSD120 and a bigger power supply. And windows 7, not installed :smallsmile:.
As previously mentioned, I already have an external drive with 2tb so I should be fine regarding space.

Thank you all so much, you've really been great and I've learned a lot about computers in the past few days. Now I can just wait and hope that it's worth the money!

Elder Tsofu
2014-01-31, 08:32 AM
Good luck, buying something expensive is always a learning-process. :smallsmile:

thracian
2014-02-01, 12:58 PM
I have two 3TB drives and a 1TB drive, as well as two 1TB externals. I'm currently using about 60% of their combined space between a variety of things, mostly Steam games, movies/shows and stream recordings I've never gotten around to cleaning up.