PDA

View Full Version : Druid with 2 class variants from UA

Catman
2014-01-20, 02:05 PM
So, flipping through UA I found Druidic Avenger and am wondering if it'd be plausible to also apply the swap-out variants listed on p. 58 (UA). The result would be as Druid except:

Lose- Animal Companion, spontaneous summon spells, -4 on Wild Empathy, Armor/Shield Proficiency, Wild Shape (all forms)

Gain- Fast Movement, Rage (without greater rage, indomitable will, mighty rage), Tireless Rage, Monk's unarmored AC bonus (Wis based), Favored Enemy, Swift Tracker, Track.

So, it'd lose most of the unique Druid goodies, but still be a full caster and fairly capable combatant. Also, about the fast movement, since one comes as a Barbarian would have and one as a Monk. Would I apply both? Is that fair?

Thoughts?

Palanan
2014-01-20, 02:41 PM
It would be up to the DM as to whether you'd receive fast movement twice, although I'd be inclined to say no. Certainly many people would argue otherwise, but ultimately your DM has the call.

And yes, you'd end up essentially a full-casting, Rage-Lite ranger-type.

Xintas
2014-01-20, 02:59 PM
Wild shape is essentially the best "fighter" you can be. Rage and AC bonus is a poor substitute.

If it fits your fluff, go to town, but Wild shape is probably the best ability in the game that is not "spellcasting".

eggynack
2014-01-20, 03:20 PM
I'd probably rule that you can, because the abilities have fundamental differences, the bonuses are untyped, the classes are different, and because this thing you're doing is very very suboptimal. Also, this thing you're doing is very very suboptimal. You'd do better off in every conceivable way by doing not-this. Like, your increased melee abilities are significantly worse than the melee you can pull off with wild shape and the animal companion, your increased speed is much worse than the often speedy alternate movement modes you get through wild shape, the tracking ability is accessible through most animal companions, the AC bonus is accessible through a monk's belt (and is again probably worse than the one from wild shape), and spontaneous summoning is the best thing ever, so losing it is bad. So, if you're trying to do anything in a way that's better than you otherwise would do it, then this is an ungood plan.