PDA

View Full Version : Question about spells that appear on multiple arcane caster spell lists

AnonymousPepper
2014-01-20, 02:19 PM
This is best explained with an easy example:

Wizards get Haste as a third-level arcane spell (Wiz/Soc3).

Trapsmiths get Haste as a first-level arcane (remember, they cast as a Bard does) spell (Trapsmith 1).

Because the spell is on both lists (again, Wiz/Soc3 and Trapsmith 1), is of an appropriate level (i.e. not above what the Wizard can cast), and is of the same type (arcane), the Wizard can utilize a Wand of Haste as created by a Trapsmith of up to third level without a UMD check, correct?

I definitely remember this being the way things work.

Fouredged Sword
2014-01-20, 02:25 PM
Yes, a wizard can use a trapsmith made wand of haste. A trapsmith can use a wizard made wand of haste. A trapsmith wand of haste is priced as a 1st level spell.

Slipperychicken
2014-01-20, 02:26 PM
If a wand's spell is on a character's class list, that character can use the wand without needing to roll UMD. For example, a 1st level Ranger can use a wand of Cure Light Wounds, and doesn't need to roll UMD because it's on his spell list, even though he can't technically cast the spell yet. This isn't an exploit, it's the way things are supposed to work.

So yeah, a Wizard could use a Trapsmith-made wand of Haste. Bear in mind, however, that such items are generally priced as though made by a Cleric or Wizard when applicable. So you probably aren't going to be able to get a discount wand, even if it was made by a different class.

AnonymousPepper
2014-01-20, 02:29 PM
If a wand's spell is on a character's class list, that character can use the wand without needing to roll UMD. For example, a 1st level Ranger can use a wand of Cure Light Wounds, and doesn't need to roll UMD because it's on his spell list, even though he can't technically cast the spell yet. This isn't an exploit, it's the way things are supposed to work.

So yeah, a Wizard could use a Trapsmith-made wand of Haste. Bear in mind, however, that such items are generally priced as though made by a Cleric or Wizard when applicable. So you probably aren't going to be able to get a discount wand, even if it was made by a different class.

Regarding the second point, there's a lower caster level and therefore less duration, so I don't think they'd cost the same. A Wiz3 wand of haste is at least CL5, lasting five rounds, whereas a Trap1 wand would be potentially as low as CL1, therefore lasting only a single round.

Slipperychicken
2014-01-20, 02:40 PM
Regarding the second point, there's a lower caster level and therefore less duration, so I don't think they'd cost the same. A Wiz3 wand of haste is at least CL5, lasting five rounds, whereas a Trap1 wand would be potentially as low as CL1, therefore lasting only a single round.

Yeah, I don't think anyone would make a CL1 wand of Haste, unless he had one of those abilities which lets the user use his own caster level for wands and scrolls.

AnonymousPepper
2014-01-20, 02:53 PM
Yeah, I don't think anyone would make a CL1 wand of Haste, unless he had one of those abilities which lets the user use his own caster level for wands and scrolls.

Of course, although a CL3 seems much more likely to me.

Uncle Pine
2014-01-20, 03:43 PM
It should be noted that while a standard wand of haste crafted by a Trapsmith would only last 1 round/charge while a standard wand of haste crafted by a Wizard would last 5 rounds/charge, a Trapsmith wand of haste crafted at CL 5 would last as the Wizard's and it would only cost 1/3 (that's because the price of a wand is 750*spell level*caster level).
When available (for example if you are an Artificer), it's usually more efficient to craft a wand/scroll/staff choosing the spell(s) from the most convenient list (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=g6lrtqj2c471qfbbrv5q1v4h00&topic=12661).

Chronos
2014-01-20, 05:07 PM
Of course, even if a trapsmith does make a CL 5 wand of Haste at a discount, if he sells it it's probably still going to be at the market rate for a wizard wand. All the market will bear, and all that.

sideswipe
2014-01-20, 06:30 PM
If a wand's spell is on a character's class list, that character can use the wand without needing to roll UMD.

I believe that even if the spell appears on their list they have to be the correct type I.E. arcane or divine. else they cannot use them.

for example i don't think that a dread necromancer, who is an arcane caster, can use an inflict light wounds wand if it is a divine wand. only if it is arcane.

Chronos
2014-01-20, 07:25 PM
There is no such thing as an arcane wand or a divine wand. Wands is wands.

The distinction does exist for scrolls, though.

sideswipe
2014-01-20, 07:32 PM
There is no such thing as an arcane wand or a divine wand. Wands is wands.

The distinction does exist for scrolls, though.

ahhh i knew there was something. it has been a couple years since i have used UMD.