PDA

View Full Version : Mage of the Arcane Order Spellpool Loophole

Jack_Simth
2007-01-23, 11:13 PM
The Mage of the Arcane Order PrC grants you access to the spellpool, but a spell called from the spellpool only lasts one minute per caster level if left uncast; presumeably, not enough to craft anything.

Mage's Lucubration permits recalls a spell that you've cast (you have to have actually cast it) in the past 24 hours "as through prepared in the normal fashion."

So if you Call up a spell, cast it, and cast Mage's Lucubration to recall it, it's prepared as though in the normal fashion - which means it'll keep until it's used, and thus can be used to craft a wand, scroll, or some such.

Only works on 5th level and lower spells, but still...

Is this a valid bit of cheese?

Halcyon_Dax
2007-01-23, 11:33 PM
It seems valid from a rules standpoint, however as a DM I might come to a different conclusion.

I would say that that wouldnt work, but you could keep a spell for long enough if you pay back your debt double for that spell.

Or something. Nice find anyway.

TheOOB
2007-01-23, 11:53 PM
I wouldn't allow it as a DM. Mordenkienen's lubrication recalls a spell lost in your memory, but a spellpool spell is never acually in your memory, so much as its granted to you.

Ramza00
2007-01-24, 12:07 AM
Rules yes, DM depends.

Ramza00
2007-01-24, 12:10 AM
I wouldn't allow it as a DM. Mordenkienen's lubrication recalls a spell lost in your memory, but a spellpool spell is never acually in your memory, so much as its granted to you.
Wrong.

You instantly recall any one spell of 5th level or lower that you have used during the past 24 hours. The spell must have been actually cast during that period. The recalled spell is stored in your mind as through prepared in the normal fashion.
If the recalled spell requires material components, you must provide them. The recovered spell is not usable until the material components are available.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magesLucubration.htm
You can still say DM Rule 0 no, but your logic doesn't work, then again DM Rule 0 doesn't need logic, it just works by the sound of your voice.

Divides
2007-01-24, 01:05 AM
Wrong.

You can still say DM Rule 0 no, but your logic doesn't work, then again DM Rule 0 doesn't need logic, it just works by the sound of your voice.

What if I make a rule 0 in sign language?
*Runs like hell.*

AtomicKitKat
2007-01-24, 03:39 AM
Why would it not last long enough to craft anything? O_o

Jack_Simth
2007-01-24, 07:05 AM
Why would it not last long enough to craft anything? O_oBecause crafting takes 8 hours a day, while a spell called from the Spellpool only lasts one minute per caster level. If you've got a caster level of 480, no problem. If you're barely high enough for Mordekine's Lucubration (11th; where getting a scroll of a 5th level spell is a meaningful find for a Wizard), there's some issues.

And I included presumeably; it's an expected adjucation based on the time difference.

SpiderBrigade
2007-01-24, 08:46 AM
Yeah, considering that all this loophole does is allow you to make magic items, I don't think it's really broken enough to warrant Rule-0ing away. The most abusive use of it I guess would be making lots of scrolls of spells you don't really know, and adding them to your spellbook, but by a method that costs more than the standard "I buy scrolls in the big city" method. If you're trying to do this because your DM doesn't let you buy any scroll you want, he's probably not going to let you Spellpool any spell you want, either.

silvermesh
2007-01-24, 09:46 AM
as a DM I'd say unfortunately for you the spell says you gain the spell "in the normal fashion", not that you get it memorized as though you had memorized it in your book, so a sorc just gets a spell slot, and a wizard gets the spell back the same way he usually gets it, and if the way you normally get a certain spell is through the spellpool, I'm afraid that's all you'd get.

Yuki Akuma
2007-01-24, 09:50 AM
Yeah, considering that all this loophole does is allow you to make magic items, I don't think it's really broken enough to warrant Rule-0ing away. The most abusive use of it I guess would be making lots of scrolls of spells you don't really know, and adding them to your spellbook, but by a method that costs more than the standard "I buy scrolls in the big city" method. If you're trying to do this because your DM doesn't let you buy any scroll you want, he's probably not going to let you Spellpool any spell you want, either.

Actually, you wouldn't need to make a scroll; you can write any spell you have memorised into your spellbook automatically. This is how you replace a spellbook if you lose one.

Ramza00
2007-01-24, 10:24 AM
as a DM I'd say unfortunately for you the spell says you gain the spell "in the normal fashion", not that you get it memorized as though you had memorized it in your book, so a sorc just gets a spell slot, and a wizard gets the spell back the same way he usually gets it, and if the way you normally get a certain spell is through the spellpool, I'm afraid that's all you'd get.

Note this is still DM rule 0. "memorized in the normal fashion" is a prepositional phrase, its part of the larger sentence. "The recalled spell is stored in your mind as through prepared in the normal fashion." The whole sentence does not deal with how you gain the spell, only how you deal with it after casting Mage’s Lucubration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magesLucubration.htm). It is the previous sentence, the first one, that deals with the spell having be cast within the last 24 hours, and yet never stipulating that it must be from memory.