PDA

View Full Version : The Khorenzai (Grasshopper people)

Amphimir Míriel
2007-01-23, 11:23 PM
Khorenzai

"Something in the insect seems to be alien to the habits, morals, and psychology of this world, as if it had come from some other planet: more monstrous, more energetic, more insensate, more atrocious, more infernal than our own."
- Maurice Maeterlinck (1862-1949)

This race is intended to be a Open Gaming Content alternative to a certain 6 limbed insect race included in the Expanded Psionics Handbook and in the Monstrous Manual II. I hope this creation is attractive to at least someone here.

---

The Khorenzai live in the arid brush wilderness and in the deserts of the world of Alwhar, living off the land and raiding the occassional caravan.

Abilities: +4 DEX, +2 WIS, -4 CHA.

Monstrous Humanoid: Khorenzai are not subject to spells or effects that affect humanoids only, such as charm person or dominate person.
Khorenzai, being insects, do not sleep and therefore have immunity to magic sleep effects.

Medium: As Medium creatures, Khorenzai have no bonuses or penalties related to size. Khorenzai normally stand in a half crouch, 4½ to 5½ feet from head to floor, and their abdomen extends about 2-3 feet behind their thorax joint. A Khorenzai can also stand upright by extending its rear legs, but this stance is uncomfortable and cannot be maintained for long periods (a number of minutes equal to 1 + the khorenzai´s CON bonus per hour). A khorenzai standing upright measures 6 to 7 feet from head to floor. Their total length from the head to the tip of the abdomen is between 9 and 11 feet.

Movement: Base land speed for Khorenzai is 40 ft. Khorenzai cannot hustle or run; instead, they move on a series of wing-assisted jumps (see below), and can maintain their “running” speeds for twice as long as humanoid characters.

Darkvision: Khorenzai have Darkvision 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and they can function just fine with no light at all.

Natural Armor: Khorenzai have a chitinous hide, giving them +3 AC bonus. Their general body shape makes the wearing of normal artificial armors impossible. A custom armor could be made for them, but such armors cost triple and have double the standard armor check penalty.

Multiple Limbs: Khorenzai have six appendages jutting from their thoracic segments, which have three joints each. The front appendages end in three-fingered hands with sharp, hook-like claws, and are employed for holding objects and performing fine motions and manipulations. The middle and rear appendages each end in one long unarticulated foot which tapers to a point and has several hook-like structures underneath, used to gain grasp on the floor. The rear legs are employed mainly for locomotion (see below). The middle legs, while usually employed for maintaining balance and as secondary weight-bearing members, can also be employed to carry weights and hold objects that don’t require manipulation for a short time (not weapons). Because they usually stand on four legs, Khorenzai gain a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped.

Leap: Khorenzai have extremely long and strong hind legs and a pair of short, underdeveloped wings, which they use in combination to jump long distances. Khorenzai have a natural +40 bonus to Jump checks, their maximum jumping distance is not limited by height and don’t need a running start to do long jumps. Khorenzai cannot jump more than 10 feet (2 squares) unless the distance to cover in a single jump doesn’t exceed twice the distance to the roof. Also, any time a Khorenzai character has a chance to “jump down” instead of just falling, falling damage is determined as if the distance fallen was 30 feet lower.

Natural Attacks: Khorenzai have hard, sharp chitinous claws at the end of their upper-limb fingers that can be used like claws to deal 1d4 damage. Their unarmed strikes still provoke attacks of opportunity unless they become monks or take the Improved Unarmed Strike Feat.

Naturally Psionic (psi): Khorenzai gain 2 bonus power points at 1st level. This benefit does not grant them the ability to manifest powers unless they gain that ability from another source, such as levels in a psionic class.

Skill Bonuses: Besides the aforementioned Jump bonus, Khorenzai have a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks in outdoor arid bush or desert settings.

Weapon Familiarity: Khorenzai treat Boomerangs as martial weapons instead of exotic weapons.

Favored Class: Ranger

Level Adjustment: +2

-----

Opinions and constructive criticism is welcome...

Icewalker
2007-01-23, 11:42 PM
I love the race. I don't know about boomerangs as a favored weapon, seems a little wierd, but I think overall the race is awesome.
Is +2 level adjustment a little much? The +40 jump checks and darkvision is pretty impressive, but the fact that they can't wear armor, even with a +3 bonus, as well as possible trouble with a lot of other magic items, primarily boots and gloves, as well as maybe helms and any magical armor.
Also they get that +2 power points for psionics, and that may be very powerful, but I will admit that I actually don't know crap about how psionics work...

Amphimir Míriel
2007-01-24, 12:13 AM
I love the race.

Thanks a lot!

I don't know about boomerangs as a favored weapon, seems a little wierd, but I think overall the race is awesome.

I was thinking of the aboriginal tribes of Australia when I thought of a possible replacement of the two exotic weapons of the mantis people copyrighted by the spooky wizard that lives on the coast.

So I came up with a pairing of longspear and boomerangs... The longspear is already a simple weapon, so there was no need to include it on the writeup.

Is +2 level adjustment a little much? The +40 jump checks and darkvision is pretty impressive, but the fact that they can't wear armor, even with a +3 bonus, as well as possible trouble with a lot of other magic items, primarily boots and gloves, as well as maybe helms and any magical armor.
Also they get that +2 power points for psionics, and that may be very powerful, but I will admit that I actually don't know crap about how psionics work...

Well, I thought I would rather err on the side of being underpowered, rather than overpowered... The original mantis guys are also LA+2, although they get 4 hands, rather than 4 legs... Still, let's see what other people think.

Rierdrex
2007-01-24, 01:42 PM
It seems to be fine, actually. I think that the +2 level adjustement is pretty good, especially because of the stats boosts and removing the jump's limit by height. We can't forget that they can wear armor, it simply needs to be fitted to them, which means an increased price for the basic armor.

I like it a lot and believe that it is a great substitution for the other grasshopper people.

Amphimir Míriel
2007-01-24, 10:30 PM
It seems to be fine, actually. I think that the +2 level adjustement is pretty good, especially because of the stats boosts and removing the jump's limit by height. We can't forget that they can wear armor, it simply needs to be fitted to them, which means an increased price for the basic armor.

I like it a lot and believe that it is a great substitution for the other grasshopper people.

You're right, Im changing the restriction. They should be able to get armor custom made for them if they insist, but it would cost triple and even then it has double the armor check penalty. That should discouraging enough.

Thanks for your comments!