PDA

View Full Version : Super healer needed

Darth Yoda
2014-01-20, 05:16 PM
First post here guys so please dont kick me out yet.
Just started playing 3.5 after a 10 year hiatus. Just relearning rules from 2.x. Our party is in need of a super healer, massive heal ability. I've looked at Clericzilla and it might fit but the description states it isn't the best. So what might be better? The kicker is...... it's needed by friday night.
Anyway thanks in advance for any and all help.

Forgot to mention, all books are open, no web, no homebrew.

Adalwolf
2014-01-20, 05:31 PM
Well, i have little to no experience with material outside the core books but i will try to answer. Considering your cleric's alignment is Good, you can spontaneously cast healing spells which means that you don't have to waste your spell slots, add that feature with the Healing Domain and i'd say you have a very decent healer on your hands.

Anxe
2014-01-20, 05:34 PM
You can also take the Augment Healing feat for a little extra boost. Otherwise, if healing is all you need then do anything you want with your cleric and they'll be good at it.

eggynack
2014-01-20, 05:37 PM
Your group probably doesn't need healing to anywhere near the degree you think they do, but if you really have your heart set on the archetype, I'd advise taking radiant servant of pelor (CD, 52) levels. That should get you healing on the scale you desire. It's a class that pushes you towards taking the healing domain, as your abilities are based on using it, but outside of that situation you probably should avoid that domain. RSoP isn't the best prestige class, but it's a reasonable one.

bekeleven
2014-01-20, 05:38 PM
The short answer is that in-combat healing is generally a bad use of actions, as making the enemy deader will overall lead to more alive people. Slightly expanded, nearly all of the healing required can be handled by a wand of lesser vigor from Spell Compendium (or cure light wounds is decent too) plus a wand/eternal wand of lesser restoration for the occasional failing a save against a mummy or something.

If you still want to build a character around healing...

The healer (MiniHB) is the best for if you want to be reall good at healing, really bad at everything else, feel useless and eventually commit suicide. Tier 5 (Building a character around healing is a waste of time).
If you build a cleric you can be really good at healing. This is because healing is a subset of everything. Clerics can do everthing. If you want unlimited options and to never feel like you're quite living up to your potential, play a cleric. Tier 1 (Does everything ever).
A binder (Tome of Magic) is a solid mid-powered class that has a lot going for it, if you like a class that tells you how to play your character instead of building a personality and backstory yourself. It can do slow but unlimited healing, so you can patch players up to full health between fights.
Dragon Shaman (Player's Handbook II) can give all allies fast healing 1, but only while they're under half health. The class also gets some at-will or passive invocations, including one I love that gives +6 to all knowledge checks and lets you make them untrained, plus a breath weapon. Often combined with the feats Entangling Exhalation (RotD), and Knowledge Devotion (CChamp). Tier 4 (Does a lot, never exceptional)
The Crusader (Tome of Battle) hits people. When he hits people, he heals allies. The best form of mid-combat healing is the type that lets you keep punching. Unfortunately, you can't punch trees: Crusader has no out-of-combat healing (it makes little sense). However, the class is also one of 3.5's best tanks. Low Tier 3 (Strong tanking, a bit boring out of combat)

A ton of classes can serve the role of healer or off-healer (such as anyone that has Use Magic Device, but I digress). This is just a sampling.

Palanan
2014-01-20, 05:40 PM
Healing Devotion from Complete Champion is also worth a look, especially with Extra Turning.

The reserve feat Touch of Healing, also from Complete Champion, can be useful in a pinch.

Darth Yoda
2014-01-20, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the quick replies guys. I don't know enough of the new rules so I'll look at those and start a rudimentary character. Thanks again.

Zweisteine
2014-01-20, 05:47 PM
The spells vigor, lesser vigor, and greater vigor are more effective at healing than their cure equivalents, if you can wait a while for the healing to take place. Failing that, the feat Mastery of Sun and Moon automatically maximizes any cure or inflict spell you cast.

OldTrees1
2014-01-20, 05:51 PM
Dvati (LA+1) Cleric 4 / Crusader 1 / Prestige Paladin 1 / Ruby Knight Vindicator X
Feats: Battle Blessing, Touch of Healing

Nothing is better at healing.

On your turn you can:
Cast a Cure spell as a Swift action
Use one Standard action to make a Crusader Strike/Revitalizing Strike
If you hit you trigger your Martial Spirit Stance
Use your other Standard action(Dvati get 2 bodies) to use Touch of Healing
Use your 2 Move actions(1 per body) to re-position for the next round
And you are almost a full caster (you lose 1-4 caster levels as you advance. At ECL 2, 6, 8 & 12)

holywhippet
2014-01-20, 05:51 PM
I'd also suggest the healing belt (MiC) for both yourself and your party members. It's a pretty cost effective source of healing.

gorfnab
2014-01-20, 06:17 PM
These handbook may be of some use:
Band-Aids for Dummies (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1520.0)
Players Guide to Healing (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2710)
Healer's Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6849.0)

Here (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1189481#338083454) is a Paladin build that can heal better than most Clerics.

Well, lets see what I can do if I hammer all this together.

Lesser Aasimar Paladin 20 (Yeah yeah, Gray Guard... not interested... yet)
32 PB: 14 Str, 8 Dex, 14 Con, 10 Int, 10 (+2 = 12) Wis, 18 (+2 = 20) Cha
Flaws: Shaky, Inattentive
Feats:
1) Power Attack, Hands of a Healer, Nimbus of Light
3) True Believer
6) Battle Blessing
9) Sacred Healing
12) Stigmata
15) Divine Might
18) Extra Turning

*St. Cuthbert has good relics, and this will let me use them.

Healing Methods:
Lay On Hands-
Charisma 42 (+16) (20 base + 5 level + 5 inherent + 6 enhancement + 2 Hands of a Healer + 4 Unicorn Pendant)
16 * 20 = 320 HP of healing, or...
320 / 5 = 64 points of ability damage recovery, typically used for Stigmata.

Spirit of Healing-
Primary means of in-combat healing if seriously needed. Heals 640 HP.

Stigmata-
Constitution 25 (14 base + 6 enhancement + 5 inherent)
Assume 4 other party members. Constitution can be burned 8 points at a time to heal each of them for 4 HP per level. If they're at 20th level, thats 320 HP per use. This can be done up to 3 times per hour and 8 times per day, for up to 960 HP of healing each hour and 2560 HP of healing each day.

Sacred Healing-
Charisma 36 (+13)
24 uses of Turn Undead each day
Each use lasts 14 rounds for each of the 5 party members, healing 3 HP per round. Thats 210 HP healed per use. With 24 uses per day, thats 5040 HP healed per day. If you manage to also apply that one item from MIC to the Unicorn Pendant thats an extra 420, but thats likely not worth as much as the hassling with the DM over it would cost you.

Spirit of the Fallen-
Lasts 20 rounds and gives each party member Fast Healing 10, for 1000 HP healed over the duration. Can also give more healing if any fall below 0 HP while it's summoned.

In total, thats 9240 HP healed per day without a single spell being cast, and furthermore the spells are available to counteract every condition that allows a saving throw and a wide variety of others that do not. Also, as the party grows larger in size the amount of healing dispensed likewise gets stupidly high.

(Assuming a party of 9 characters, your Stigmata (16 Con Burn) heals 1280 HP and can be done 4 times a day for "free," healing a total of 5120 HP. Then Sacred Healing heals 378 HP per use and 9072 HP per day. Then Spirit of the Fallen goes up to 1800, for a total of 15992 HP of healing per day.)

FreakyCheeseMan
2014-01-20, 06:40 PM
I'd like to cast another vote for the crusader - they've got three strong things going for them.

1: They're lots of fun, and can (in a low-end party) be by far the most valuable character, even without their healing.

2: They're non-battery operated - you never "run out" of your healing ability, which can really go a long way towards extending the life of the adventuring party. Sure, the HP-per-turn they actually heal is low, but...

3: They also reduce the party's *need* for healing. A ton of your abilities work to lock down enemies or give (sometimes massive) bonuses to your party's AC.

sideswipe
2014-01-20, 06:56 PM
sacred healing feat from i believe complete divine allows you to change turn undead into fast healing.

this with augment healing, healing devotion, and healing domain (for +1 caster level to healing spells). its a start.

nedz
2014-01-20, 07:24 PM
If you're going Clericzilla anyway just DMM Persist Mass Lesser Vigor.
Grab a few cure spells to get people up when the fall over and you're done.

Devils_Advocate
2014-01-20, 09:04 PM
The big important change from 2nd Edition here is that Clerics don't need to prepare cure spells anymore! Or, at least, the type of Cleric you're likely to play:

Spontaneous Casting

A good cleric (or a neutral cleric of a good deity) can channel stored spell energy into healing spells that the cleric did not prepare ahead of time. The cleric can "lose" any prepared spell that is not a domain spell in order to cast any cure spell of the same spell level or lower (a cure spell is any spell with "cure" in its name).

An evil cleric (or a neutral cleric of an evil deity), can’t convert prepared spells to cure spells but can convert them to inflict spells (an inflict spell is one with "inflict" in its name).

A cleric who is neither good nor evil and whose deity is neither good nor evil can convert spells to either cure spells or inflict spells (player’s choice). Once the player makes this choice, it cannot be reversed. This choice also determines whether the cleric turns or commands undead.
That's a pretty handy class feature to have, since cure spells get used a lot; cure light wounds and detect magic are the most commonly cast spells (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324418), after all! Although many players recommend burning through wands of cure light wounds rather than using up spell slots for healing. How sensible that is depends on what resources you have to work with; obviously it's one of those things that tends to change as the party goes from low level to high level.

Anyway, Cleric domains serve as tools to specialize a Cleric in a particular direction. For example, you can take War and Strength to make a Cleric more of a Fighter, or Magic and Knowledge to make a Cleric more of a Wizard. Healing and Sun, interestingly enough, make a Cleric more of a Cleric, allowing you to be even better at healing and at turning undead. The Radiant Servant of Pelor prestige class from Complete Divine does this even more. This is very much the obvious min/max Cleric build, taking the class features of a positive energy channeling Cleric and turning them up to 11. Not that this is the most powerful thing you can do with a Cleric, but it's very archetypal, so that's something to keep in mind if that's a thing you like.

Our party is in need of a super healer, massive heal ability.
Any particular reason why? The practical benefit of healing is keeping characters alive, and, as has been mentioned, that's best accomplished by dealing with whatever is threatening to kill them. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cures. ;)

I've looked at Clericzilla and it might fit but the description states it isn't the best.
Which description is that?

Callin
2014-01-20, 09:38 PM
Generic spellcaster into war weaver. Heal everyone with one spell to save on slots and take some of the burden off. Works great for buffing and you get an oh **** feature that is pretty sweet.

Just suggesting.

If you want something horribly borked and badly written. The Arcane Swordsage "suggests" touch spells to gain as maneuvers. Its only a suggestion though so since its that just grab some bard or generic spell caster (for more cheese) and have basically unlimited down time healing with refreshing cure light wounds every other round healing everyone to full. Go with adaptive style and good spell selections and you could awesome. Tier 2 easy. But its very frowned upon here. I like it though and honestly with a gentelmans agreemant can be alot of fun. Tossing fireballs around at will every other round can be fun as well. Buff wis for saves and bonus to ac. You will need to spend a feat to get light armor prof back though. Hp is better than wiz and armor with wis to ac. Sign me up.

Darth Yoda
2014-01-20, 10:21 PM
Advocate,here is a quote from the description of clericzilla. Dont know how to do a true quote from site to site.
This is not the only way to optimize a divine caster, nor can it be considered the best.

The reason for amassive healer is because our dm is very heavy handed. He likes to deal out 100hp damage per hit. Yes per hit. He doesnt give out heal potions at all. We only visit small towns or towns where magic is frowned on so buying is out of the question. In my opinion he is not very good at dming. He over compensates by huge xp bonuses to appease the players. But thats our problem. Sorry for the rant.

Side question. In liber bestarius there is a chaos hound (or hound with acid splash damage). What is its rank and what would a group of 5 be el wise? And would that be a fair encounter for 2 ninth, 2 tenth and 2 eleventh level pcs of good to fair ability?

TuggyNE
2014-01-20, 10:24 PM
Generic spellcaster into war weaver.

Generic classes in UA are not intended to be used in the same campaign as regular classes, so this is somewhat dubious in most cases. (It's also probably excessive for the purpose.)

OldTrees1
2014-01-20, 10:40 PM
The reason for amassive healer is because our dm is very heavy handed. He likes to deal out 100hp damage per hit. Yes per hit. He doesnt give out heal potions at all. We only visit small towns or towns where magic is frowned on so buying is out of the question. In my opinion he is not very good at dming. He over compensates by huge xp bonuses to appease the players. But thats our problem. Sorry for the rant.

Obligatory Sidenote: OOC problems are best solved OOC.

However if your DM really is that excessively heavy handed then try this:
Keep Delay Death/Extended Delay Death[spell] on each PC (maybe using Divine Metamagic[Quicken])
Prepare 1 Mass Cure Light Wounds in a 5th level slot to fuel the Touch of Healing feat.
Prepare Revivify spells in your remaining 5th level slots

Result:
Frequently you and your allies will not be vulnerable to death from damage. After combat you should be able to patch everyone up fairly quickly with the Touch of Healing feat. Any deaths can be handled with the Revivify spells.

thethird
2014-01-20, 10:47 PM
Clericzilla is more of a long time fighter. My favored method of overpowering a healer, while still having options and fun things to do, is the following:

Cleric (of the Sovereign Host) 5
Combat Medic 1
Radiant Servant (of the Sovereign Host) 2
Combat Medic +4
Sovereign Speaker 5
Paragnostic Apostle 3

This assumes that the adaptation of the radiant servant allows you to grab the sovereign host.

You should grab the domain spontaneity acf, linked to the healing domain, and personally I would advise for the divine restoration acf too.

Your two most important feats are imbued healing and mastery of day and night.

Overall this makes you cast all cure spells maximized and empowered, granting access to most of the healing spells of the cleric spontaneously (so you don't need to prepare them). Also your healing spells double as emergency buffs, both from the combat medic and the imbued healing. This way even if you are playing a terrific healer, you don't need to dedicate all your spell slots to it, and when you do cast a heal it also has other effects.

Kennisiou
2014-01-20, 11:01 PM
Going to argue a point about crusader here. Crusader has access to out of combat healing. Punch your allies with crusader strikes. Healing heals equal amounts of lethal and nonlethal damage, meaning you heal off the punch damage with the nonlethal healing without impacting any of the lethal damage healing. Abusive, kinda. Hilarious? Absolutely. RAW? Shakey, since IIRC crusader strike specifies attacking an ENEMY. Something I as a DM have decided was valid because "eh, why not, they were just going to use a CLW wand here anyways so it's, what, 750 gold of abuse? Could be worse."

Tar Palantir
2014-01-20, 11:10 PM
Going to argue a point about crusader here. Crusader has access to out of combat healing. Punch your allies with crusader strikes. Healing heals equal amounts of lethal and nonlethal damage, meaning you heal off the punch damage with the nonlethal healing without impacting any of the lethal damage healing. Abusive, kinda. Hilarious? Absolutely. RAW? Shakey, since IIRC crusader strike specifies attacking an ENEMY. Something I as a DM have decided was valid because "eh, why not, they were just going to use a CLW wand here anyways so it's, what, 750 gold of abuse? Could be worse."

Also, while the crusader strikes specify enemy, the level one healing stance is not so explicit. It only heals 2hp a hit, but you can just bludgeon a squirrel to negative a billion nonlethal to full heal all your allies.

Alent
2014-01-20, 11:28 PM
I'd put in a vote for some variant of Eldritch Disciple. (Warlock + Cleric theurge.) Load up on Nightsticks, spend a turning attempt to hit the party with a shaped Eldritch Blast that heals them. (At least at a skimmed reading, I think you can still apply the blast shapes like Chain Blast or Eldritch Glaive to the Healing blast, my only firsthand understanding of warlock comes from NWN2 which is sort of an inbred third cousin twice over to RAW with many birth defects.) :smalleek:

The PrC is a neat, nonstandard healer that can also use eldritch glaive or claws to bring some good offense to the table when your nigh-suicidal murderhobo tomb robbing accomplicesParty isn't finding new ways to perforate their aorta (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0735.html).

To optimize the eldritch blast/healing blast, Get a Greater Chausible of Fell Power, see if you're allowed to use the rule that lets you apply practiced spellcaster to increase your effective invoker level and eldritch blast progression by +4 levels (to a limit of your HD, etc.), possibly look for ways to squeeze in Binder and Hellfire Warlock levels.

To optimize your divine casting, Urpriest seems to be the way to go.

It may not be the most optimal build in the world, but I love the flavor. :smallamused:

animewatcha
2014-01-21, 12:23 AM
Oh yes. "I am fisting the squirrel in the name of Pelor so that we can save the world."

BrokenChord
2014-01-21, 12:46 AM
Oh yes. "I am fisting the squirrel in the name of Pelor so that we can save the world."

Can I sig this? That's awesome XD

On-topic, honestly, your DM doing so much damage just means prevention is even more high-priority. Or sources of stuff to reduce the damage, like energy resistances and damage reduction, which the Cleric can mostly cover with other builds that focus on buffing the whole party. Vigor-type things will be markedly less helpful in this regard, however.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-01-21, 01:14 AM
If you need huge healing, Crusader isn't a great choice-- not unless you're going into a Crusader/Cleric/Ruby Knight Vindicator build. I'd probably go Cleric/Radiant Servant of Pelor, myself. They're not top-tier, but it's a 10/10 casting PrC that costs you pretty much nothing to enter. Free metamagic on healing spells, some other goodies-- including extra greater turnings, which you can (probably) spend to power Divine Metamagic.

Dragon Shaman (Player's Handbook II) can give all allies fast healing 1, but only while they're under half health. The class also gets some at-will or passive invocations, including one I love that gives +6 to all knowledge checks and lets you make them untrained, plus a breath weapon. Often combined with the feats Entangling Exhalation (RotD), and Knowledge Devotion (CChamp). Tier 4 (Does a lot, never exceptional)
Minor nitpick: You're mixing up the Dragon Shaman (auras, 1d4 round cooldown breath weapon, kind of crap) with the Dragonfire Adept (invocations, at-will breath weapon, sort of OK).

Devils_Advocate
2014-01-21, 02:14 AM
Advocate,here is a quote from the description of clericzilla. Dont know how to do a true quote from site to site.
This is not the only way to optimize a divine caster, nor can it be considered the best.
Ah, so this description (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Clericzilla_%283.5e_Optimized_Character_Build%29). I wouldn't call that "Clericzilla", myself, and I don't think that that's how the term is mostly used. Of course, usually it's just CoDzilla, rather than Clericzilla or Druidzilla, because while the details of how the two classes get things done differ, they don't actually differ so that it makes a difference, if you see what I'm saying.

"CoDzilla" basically just refers to playing 3E on easy mode by playing a Cleric or a Druid. The idea being that the only real trick to it is not doing anything dumb. Because the core divine casters are silly powerful classes so long as you don't basically go out of your way to screw them up, like by putting an 8 in Wisdom or something. "Two of the more powerful builds in the d20 System are Cleric 20 and Druid 20" would be one way of putting it.

Here's the original quote:

It bears saying: if up against a logic-impervious DM who thinks Core is balanced and Psionics (or Warlocks, or Fochlucan Lyrists, or anything balanced that's come out of splatbooks that aren't munchfests like Complete Divine) isn't, then the most powerful way to disprove that is to play a C.o.D. (Cleric or Druid). Noncore material will not be necessary unless you are going for pure overkill (Draconic Wildshape? Divine Metamagic?). So by all means, if you must win that argument, take you C.o.D. to town. Annihilate the opposition. Make the NPCs and other players scream "Oh no, it's C.o.D.zilla!!!!!" in badly dubbed English. Breathe radioactive fire. Knock down buildings. Then stomp out of the burning Tokyo that is the ruins of the game and swim off into the ocean, seeking a DM with some basic cognitive functions.

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/metro/05.28.98/gifs/godzilla-9821.jpg
C.o.D.zilla's-eye-view of the DM.

The reason for amassive healer is because our dm is very heavy handed. He likes to deal out 100hp damage per hit. Yes per hit.
Yikes! What level are you playing at? I don't think you mentioned. I That would probably help us to narrow down the options some.

Anyway, all the more reason for such protective spells as magic vestment, shield of faith, entropic shield, protection from energy, or whatever is appropriate to the situation. (Protection from energy is an excellent example of the merits of avoiding versus healing damage; look at how much damage it prevents versus how much cure serious wounds heals.) Although heal is definitely worth mentioning as being the healing spell potent enough to be worth casting mid-combat, sometimes. Also an excellent damage-dealer against undead. Also worth preparing for the large number of status ailments it counters.

(Why are the standard healing spells called "cure" spells, while the cure-all spell is called "heal"?) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq3abPnEEGE)

He doesnt give out heal potions at all. We only visit small towns or towns where magic is frowned on so buying is out of the question.
Well, that rules out item-based solutions, I guess. :/

EDIT: Actually, you can kind of get around that by... having your characters travel to other places? At high levels, a typical party can get around pretty easily through the use of teleport, plane shift, greater teleport, and the like.

Failing that, well, player characters can craft magic items too. An Artificer (from the Eberron Campaign Setting) could be quite useful in a world where magic items are scarce.

(If the necessary supplies and downtime are unavailable because everything valuable in the world is in the hands of powerful monsters who regularly assail civilization, then it's definitely time to consider leaving this plane of existence for a different one for a while. :P)

eggynack
2014-01-21, 03:15 AM
This is not a reason to heal, especially not in combat. If every hit is going to reach save or die levels of damage, then no amount of healing is going to be helpful. Because cure light wounds doesn't work on dead folk. If a hit deals 100 damage, and your healing heals not 100 damage, then you've wasted your turn, and a cleric turn means a lot. You need to be focusing on damage prevention and mitigation, working with your party to construct a defense good enough that you won't die all the time.

You also might want to try finding those not-small towns, because a wand of lesser vigor will help far more than any healing focus will. Seriously, you're a cleric. If a city with a wand exists anywhere on the planet, a sufficiently leveled cleric should be able to learn of that location and reach it in a reasonable amount of time, and you probably are sufficiently leveled if XP is being tossed around like candy. Maybe run the travel or spell domain for easy access to teleportation. Maybe not the spell domain, because relying on anything but your own cleric juice for teleportation seems like a bad idea, but definitely travel.

Totema
2014-01-21, 03:24 AM
Unless something goes way wrong, a few wands of cure light wounds should be mostly all you need.

Azoth
2014-01-21, 07:45 AM
Divine caster of choice into Rune Caster from Players Guide to Faern can be usefull. You can craft runes in 10min + time to cast spell instead of days. You get some free metamagic effects to your runes as well. Now for the best part of it, anyone can use the runes you craft without a UMD check, and after about ECL13 you can create permanent runes. This means that if the party chips in for the cost they can each get a personal permanent rune to use themself. This frees up your action economy to do more worthwhile things.

bekeleven
2014-01-21, 08:38 AM
Minor nitpick: You're mixing up the Dragon Shaman (auras, 1d4 round cooldown breath weapon, kind of crap) with the Dragonfire Adept (invocations, at-will breath weapon, sort of OK).

It's ok, I've long since accepted that I will never tell them apart.

animewatcha
2014-01-21, 02:26 PM
Can I sig this? That's awesome XD

If you wish to, go ahead.

olejars
2014-01-21, 02:37 PM
Dvati (LA+1) Cleric 4 / Crusader 1 / Prestige Paladin 1 / Ruby Knight Vindicator X
Feats: Battle Blessing, Touch of Healing

Nothing is better at healing.

On your turn you can:
Cast a Cure spell as a Swift action
Use one Standard action to make a Crusader Strike/Revitalizing Strike
If you hit you trigger your Martial Spirit Stance
Use your other Standard action(Dvati get 2 bodies) to use Touch of Healing
Use your 2 Move actions(1 per body) to re-position for the next round
And you are almost a full caster (you lose 1-4 caster levels as you advance. At ECL 2, 6, 8 & 12)

I thought Dvati both have to concentrate on the same action. If one casts a spell the other does as well or does nothing. For example, a pair of Dvati twins cannot attack and cast a spell in the same turn, but they both can cast the same spell, or both attack, or one twin does an action while the other does nothing.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-01-21, 02:59 PM
It's ok, I've long since accepted that I will never tell them apart.
Actually... are we sure they're different? Has anyone ever seen the two of them in the same place?

Barstro
2014-01-21, 03:01 PM
On-topic, honestly, your DM doing so much damage just means prevention is even more high-priority.

While I would normally agree with this statement, I cannot do so in this scenario.

We have been told the the DM makes up for an apparent lack of DMing skills with increases in NPC attack power. A DM like that can probably handle the PCs healing after a fight, since he did his job and now the PCs are paying for it. But actually preventing or lessening the damage would be stopping the DM from doing what he thinks he is supposed to do (never mind that it takes just as much work and spell slots). A DM like that is bound to make the overpowered hits even worse, and it will be a TPK.

OldTrees1
2014-01-21, 03:59 PM
I thought Dvati both have to concentrate on the same action. If one casts a spell the other does as well or does nothing. For example, a pair of Dvati twins cannot attack and cast a spell in the same turn, but they both can cast the same spell, or both attack, or one twin does an action while the other does nothing.

Only for spells. Hence it takes both bodies to cast the Swift action spell in my example. However once that Swift action is done, both bodies can continue their turn of simultaneous non spell actions.

Spell [Swift] (together)
Strike [Standard] (body A) & Touch of Healing [Standard] (body B)
Move [Move] (body A) & Move [Move] (body B)

Lans
2014-01-21, 05:29 PM
If you want to be awesome at in combat healing divine metamagic twin spell is a good way to go.

There is a healing feat that gives a bonus based on your domains, one of the options is 1 thp per level.

Theres a ceremony feat that lets you create a pool of hp that people can draw on as a swift action

Darth Yoda
2014-02-03, 06:01 PM
Sorry it's been so long for a reply. Been very busy lately.

Anyway, a bit o' good news! We pitched our old dm and one of the players "upgraded"!

I rolled up a cleric that I was going to use off of your advice and have him set aside since we started a 1st level campaign.
Sorry everyone had to go thru all the trouble but I seriously thank you all.

OldTrees1
2014-02-03, 07:50 PM
You're welcome, these help threads are fun. I am glad that you don't need to face overkill damage in combat anymore.