PDA

View Full Version : I will find you... and I'll will kill you [Help with a Psygish 3.5]

Dusk Eclipse
2014-01-20, 05:20 PM
I was reading TV tropes last night and I eventually got to this particular article: The Dreaded* (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheDreaded) and I thought it would be really cool to have a character that can inspire that sense of terror, of "OMG he is here". I initially had the idea of going with an intimidation build, but I happened to catch and add for "Taken" and that line, got me thinking on still being the dreaded, but not because I'm scary... no, because no matter where you, where you hide, how you hide, I will find you.

And honestly nothing can really beat a Seer psion for the sheer finding power they have, specially when the get access to Metafaculty (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/metafaculty.htm), which granted is a 9th level power, but there are other options earlier Clarivoyant sense (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/clairvoyantSense.htm) for example.

I was thinking on a base of Ranger 1/Seer 6/Slayer 6/Psychokinetic Champion (Psionic adaptation of Abjurant Champion) 5/ Slayer +2; to maximize BAB and keep ML as high as possible, but I don't know, I am sure there are better options there as it feels it will be weak early game.

Any ideas on power selection, tactics, or anything would be really appreciated

*Warning, TV tropes link

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-20, 05:31 PM
Hmm. Too bad shadowcasters otherwise don't really make great gishes, because Truth Revealed seems perfect for this. It's basically true seeing, but if you concentrate longer, you can get the target's alignment, detect magic, detect thoughts, determine their recent actions, discern lies, learn their name, and even learn their greatest love or fear.

limejuicepowder
2014-01-20, 05:32 PM
This character will need some way to announce his presence before he actually "walks in to the room" (literally or figuratively). Some way for the target to know that he's there, and the fear will begin to build.

This could be a long-range/large radius power, but it also could be a phrase, a symbol to reveal, etc. The character could approach his target in disguise, and then use the reveal, at which point it dawns on the target how dead they are about to become.

As for specific powers...? Sorry I'm not terribly versed with psionics.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-01-20, 05:39 PM
Hmm. Too bad shadowcasters otherwise don't really make great gishes, because Truth Revealed seems perfect for this. It's basically true seeing, but if you concentrate longer, you can get the target's alignment, detect magic, detect thoughts, determine their recent actions, discern lies, learn their name, and even learn their greatest love or fear.
That would be interesting in an Arcane theurge build, Greast love or fear seem to be perfect for illusionist (or for love's pain abuse), definitely something to consider for other type of characters.

This character will need some way to announce his presence before he actually "walks in to the room" (literally or figuratively). Some way for the target to know that he's there, and the fear will begin to build.

This could be a long-range/large radius power, but it also could be a phrase, a symbol to reveal, etc. The character could approach his target in disguise, and then use the reveal, at which point it dawns on the target how dead they are about to become.

As for specific powers...? Sorry I'm not terribly versed with psionics.

Psionic powers Display might do that, and you can always manifest Cairtangent Hand (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/clairtangentHand.htm) as a kind of signature.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-20, 05:40 PM
If you want to be a gish I would drop psion in favor of ardent. It gets higher bab and lets you multiclass more effectively.

Pump the hell out of your int and wis and go factotum 3/monk 2/ardent5/slayer 10. Now you have huge amounts of 9th level powers and 17 bab with fractionals.

Grab the psicrown of the discerning watcher. This covers almost all of the good seer pwoers that you would want including my personal favorite, Remote Viewing.

Now Make sure you learn schsim, hustle, metamorphosis, and solicit psicrystal and you can project yourself as an ectoplasmic version of whatever horrible monster you transform into and attack people where ever they are while still manifesting all of you're psionic damaging powers (energy ray, energy missle etc.) with your schismed mind.

Don't bother ever actually walking into a room with the cretins you want to track down. Just manifest as a disembodied voice and as an invisible ectoplasmic nightmare.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-01-20, 05:46 PM
Ardent is great I agree, but with only three mantles it would be iffy to get all powers I want, to get all those powers I'd need either custom mantles (which aren't a given) or drop a lot of feats into Expanded knowledge, and considering I still need some feats for melee (power attack at the very least) I don't think that would be optimal, even with monk bonus feats.

Secondly I don't like to rely on items for such a core part of the character concept, besides it is not a given I will find/buy a psicrown.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-20, 05:47 PM
Thats why you want the psicrown I suggested. It gives you almost all of the good seer powers.

EDIT: ah just saw you're psicrown comment. Never mind

EDIT 2: Could you possibly make a list of the powers that you want/ are considering? That way we could do some heavier brainstorming about how to put together you're build.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-01-20, 05:53 PM
I'm still not sure, right now I'm brainstorming myself, so sorry I can't really do that at the moment.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-20, 06:08 PM
haha that's okay. Lets figure out some basics that you're gonna want.

Definetly vigor right? I don't think I've ever built a psionic character without it.
Is your DM gonna allow the psionic variant for abjurant champion? If so you're probably going to want to grab Force screen and inertia armor.
I'm a fan of taking energy ray and energy missle. The two of those should probably be enough for all you're blasting needs at any level.

Do you want to be a gish that swings a sword around or a gish that turns into a monster and thrashes people? Or both I guess?

Vaz
2014-01-20, 10:22 PM
Educated Mantled Wilder 10/Slayer 10, Track, Linked Power, Extend Power, Some form of Dragonmark, Mark of the Dauntless

Powers Known

Sense Danger (Magic of Eberron); 10 min/level Immediate action in surprise round
Anticipatory Strike (Complete Psionic); immediate action, take a standard action
Synchronicity (Complete Psionic); linked power abuse
Psionic Plane Shift (SRD); recharge mechanic
Psychic Reformation; pick and change your powers known on the fly, using linked power to do so (by RAW, XP Free for shiggles).

Literally, always have the correct power for the occasion. And tool for that matter. Stuck? Oh well, just PsyRef up Call Item (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827e). Manage to escape the dungeon only to see a horde of enemies at the end of the corridor? PsyRef up Metamorphosis and Metamorphic Transfer, then blow them all up.

While that is tactical in nature, you can open it up to strategic things as well.

BAB+17, immediate action anything effectively, eh, you're sorted.

Vanitas
2014-01-21, 04:02 AM
I'm guessing PF Cryptic or Dread would work fairly well with that idea, but I'm just guessing.