PDA

View Full Version : Difficult Terrain, Balance, and Charging

Diarmuid
2014-01-20, 08:42 PM
I guess I've never taken a close enough look at the Balance rules, but I recently noticed the DC's for being able to Charge across difficult terrain.

I'm assuming this still costs double movement? I dont see anything to the contrary but you never know if something like that might be listed somewhere else (like the penalties for firing into a grapple only being listed in Improved Precise Shot).

The basic DC's listed start at 10 and there are extenuating circumstances that can boost it based on the terrain. Is there anything denoting what the DC's would be for things like a Knight's Bulwark of Defense ability? Should it simply be assumed to be 10 for things like this?

Are there any expanded uses for Balance to allow for normal movement over difficult terrain? Seems like there ought to be a way for it to not cost double movement if there's a way to charge through it. I know there are spells and items to let you ignore various forms of difficult terrain, I'm just curious about Balance or perhaps Tumble, etc skill uses.

On that line of thinking, if you were to start your turn in difficult terrain and rather than just moving out you instead Jumped. Does your movement still cost double? It would seem obvious when jumping over a patch or area of difficult terrain that it wouldnt inhibit you. Just curious about if you start in it. For the sake of the example, let's assume it's not any kind of difficult terrain that imposes any kind of penalties on your ability to jump (dont know if there are any, but covering my bases here).

OldTrees1
2014-01-20, 08:53 PM
The movement cost would still be doubled.

Default difficult terrain has a DC. Bulwark of Defense is default difficult terrain.

Balancing during a Charge
You can make a Balance check to charge across a precarious surface, but you take a –5 penalty on the check for each multiple of your speed (or fraction thereof) that you charge. Charging in this way requires one Balance check for each multiple of your speed (or fraction thereof) that you charge. Any check that fails carries the normal ramifications for failing a Balance check (see page 90), likely ending your movement and preventing your charge.

-snip-

Surface Modifiers DC Modifier3
Lightly obstructed (scree, light debris) +2
Severely obstructed (natural cavern floor, heavy debris) +5
Lightly slippery (wet floor) +2
Severely slippery (ice sheet) +5
Sloped or angled +2

Jumping ignores difficult terrain. (See the Leap Attack feat)

If you cover at least 10 feet of horizontal distance with your jump, and you end your jump in a square from which you threaten your target, you deal +100% the normal bonus damage from your use of the Power Attack feat. This attack must follow all the normal rules for using the Jump skill and for making a charge, except that you ignore rough terrain in any squares you jump over.

Diarmuid
2014-01-20, 09:02 PM
Is that text anywhere other than Leap Attack? While it sounds general enough, I could see a reading seeing it only viable if you actually have the feat.

OldTrees1
2014-01-20, 09:10 PM
Is that text anywhere other than Leap Attack? While it sounds general enough, I could see a reading seeing it only viable if you actually have the feat.

Jumping during a Charge
You can make a long jump to avoid an obstacle as part of a charge, as long as you continue to meet all other criteria for making a charge before, during, and after the jump.

This sufficient?