PDA

View Full Version : Help me disguise a donkey as a dwarf

gawwy
2014-01-20, 08:56 PM
Don't ask why I need this just know that I do.

I want to disguise a donkey (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Donkey) as a dwarf. it doesn't need to gain any of the ability's of a dwarf or even need to gain the ability to speak/hold weapons like a dwarf.

catch must be as mundane a disguise as possible so I can trick a wizard into thinking its a dwarf.

Darrin
2014-01-20, 09:14 PM
Well, they smell pretty much the same... Buy a fake beard, put it on the donkey, done.

rmnimoc
2014-01-20, 09:48 PM
The disguise check for that is around disguise-25-2. A donkey is a medium quadruped, so you'd need to cut it's size down by 11-25% (-25), and then disguise it as a different race (-2). Of course the people looking at it will get insane numbers of spot checks because why is that dwarf walking on all fours and what the hell is going on here that isn't a dwarf. Magic is your best bet, something like Deceptive Facade (http://dndtools.eu/spells/complete-mage--58/deceptive-facade--835/) or polymorph (http://dndtools.eu/spells/players-handbook-v35--6/polymorph--2854/)if you can manage it.

Disguise (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/disguise.htm)

Minor details only +5
Disguised as different gender -2
Disguised as different race -2
Disguised as different age category -22

Epic Disguise (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#disguise)
The character can change his or her apparent height and weight much more than normal.

Disguise Modifier
1.Can be negated by any effect that can duplicate a height and/or weight change of this degree.

Change height and/or weight 11% to 25% -25
Change height and/or weight 26% to 50% -50

You most likely won't be tricking a wizard that your donkey is a dwarf unless you are in a dark room, keep the two at least 50 feet apart, or he is a totally wis-less wiz.

gawwy
2014-01-20, 09:57 PM
so I don't need anything other than a decent disguise check to create a disguise for someone else?

(should a mentioned that im not playing the donkey but the owner of a donkey).

rmnimoc
2014-01-20, 10:31 PM
You can disguise other people with a disguise check, but the number you'd need to hit to reliably fool someone with a donkey-dwarf is easily Epic.

Alent
2014-01-20, 10:45 PM
Get a hat of disguise, Magic jar yourself into the donkey, disguise yourself as a dwarf.

Then buy a potion of Glibness and bluff everyone that beats the disguise check or disbelieves the glamor?

Honestly, you'd probably have an easier time just putting a santa beard on the donkey and just using the Glibness potion to tell everyone that this is a dwarf.

gawwy
2014-01-20, 10:51 PM
You can disguise other people with a disguise check, but the number you'd need to hit to reliably fool someone with a donkey-dwarf is easily Epic.

so lets see im a level 10 cleric with 7 cleric levels with the trickery domain and 3 human paragon levels (to get move silently on skill list trickery grants hide bluff and disguise but not move silently go figure).

full points in disguise makes 13

18 cha make 17

7 from item familiar makes 24

gm gave me a mask with +5 disguise and bluff that I have to wear in order to cast my cleric spells (don't ask why but the mask is also the item familiar).

so I gain 5 there making 29

and then I take 20?

so 49 check? are there alchemical items that can boost this further?

Nirhael
2014-01-20, 10:57 PM
Well normally you wouldn't be allowed to take 20 for Disguise, depends on your DM I guess.

gawwy
2014-01-20, 11:11 PM
no your right not sure why I thought you could take 20 on it derp. :S

would a dust of illusion work in this case or are they considered magical?

never mind its magical.

any non magic items thatll help boost this skillcheck?

BrokenChord
2014-01-21, 01:05 AM
Do you have full points in Bluff? That could give synergy of +2. Aside from that, there's also the Disguise Kit and the masterwork version thereof, but I don't know if that conflicts with any of the types of bonuses you're getting from the other stuff you've listed.

Even if both of those go through though, it's not much of a boost... Um... I'm guessing you need it nonmagical so the wizard can't just discern the fakery right off... Well, since it won't make much sense if the wizard actually has to interact with the dwarf since it doesn't need to speak or anything, it would provide you a large advantage to keep something as a constant distraction to the wizard, which would give it a -5 penalty to Spot checks...

Then... Oh, I don't even know any more. Pool party resources into Scroll of PaO, use it twice, bring up RAW arguments, dodge flying DMG, dispel new dwarf to remove lingering magic, make all other debate pointless? I give up, I'm allergic to cheese anyway.

Enguebert
2014-01-21, 01:51 AM
Raise your bluff skill

Then tell the donkey is a dwarf reincarnated in a donkey !

Vaz
2014-01-21, 06:43 AM
Heh, Disguise Skills; http://www.funnydndstories.com/apps/blog/show/5750289

There's no Epic use in the SRD about how to help others make the disguise. You can Aid Another, but all that gets is a +2.

With a Donkeys Cha mod, you're looking at needing to get a skill check result of 30 (if the above maths is correct), while you're also likely to be up against pretty decent circumstance penalties.

To beat a "take 10" on top of that, you're likely to be up against say needing a 48 (and that's the donkey, NOT you making that check).

The MW disguise kit doesn't help. The donkey is not capable of using it, neither intelligent enough, nor does it have enough "tricks", nor fingers/thumbs.

So, to do it completely mundanely, you're going to need to have your party members (4 I'm assuming), all aid another on the check. And then hire 20 other people to aid another. By RAW, of course, that's allowed, but I don't think that just because 25 people helped make a disguise would really wash; a couple of people could help, but 25 untrained folks? Unlikely, unless they're part of some special effects crew.

Unless anyone could find me a source on that use your disguise check result for someone else? Perhaps "extrapolating" the Hide another for the -30 to your result (in which case, just Hire more helpers)?

HammeredWharf
2014-01-21, 06:43 AM
Drink a potion of Glibness and tell the Wizard the donkey is a dwarf. He'll get a +20 to Sense Motive, but even then you won't need much Bluff for him to auto-fail. After all, most Wizards aren't Sense Motive experts.

If he notices your Glibness, tell him you needed it to trick the dwarf into showing his true form - the bastard tried to disguise himself as a donkey!

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-21, 07:01 AM
I know you said not to but I gotta ask; why? What possible purpose could this peculiar exercise serve?

ericgrau
2014-01-21, 07:57 AM
Capture a real dwarf, buy a donkey, pay a psion with true mind switch.

Fouredged Sword
2014-01-21, 10:24 AM
Cast guidance of the avatar and Divine Insight on yourself. Laugh as you now get +32 to your mundane disguise check. With ranks + a positive charisma modifier you could make it work until something interacts with the donkey and the donkey acts like a donkey.

hymer
2014-01-21, 10:30 AM
There are a lot of suggestions here on ways to up your own disguise check. That may not be useful at all, depending on the DM's interpretation. It's the donkey's disguise, so it's his disguise check (or else, you can cast Alter Self, get +10 to Disguise, and use that to make the donkey more dwarflike). You can probably aid and give a +2 bonus, but that's it.

Fouredged Sword
2014-01-21, 10:56 AM
Step 1

Spend several weeks teaching the donkey "pretend to be a dwarf" as a trick using guidance of the avatar to pass the handle animal check.

Step 2

Cast guidance of the Avatar on the donkey.

Step three

Get the donkey to preform the "pretend to be a dwarf trick" getting +20 to it's roll, aid other for another +2. It will get a minimum 18 on it's roll.

Now the people you are fooling must beat a 18 on their spot check to notice. Note, they will be able to see through the bluff side of things, so keep them from interacting.

mistformsquirrl
2014-01-21, 11:13 AM
I know you said not to but I gotta ask; why? What possible purpose could this peculiar exercise serve?

Srsly, I must know...

Zombulian
2014-01-21, 11:39 AM
As you are a Cleric, you have plenty of skill buffing spells at your disposal. Guidance of the Avatar, Surge of Fortune, and Divine Insight give you a check of 45 with no ranks. Add the 29 from your original build, +2 Bluff Synergy and you've got a Disguise check of 76.

JackQ
2014-01-21, 11:59 AM
Can you considered hiring a troop to aid your donkey in disguise?
Forty dwarves for a day= 40 gold.
Take 10 for aid other check to help disguise to donkey: +80 to disguise.
Donkey passes check. completely mundane.

Now answer why you are doing this...inquiring minds want to know!!

1dominator
2014-01-21, 12:02 PM
I find it distressing that this thread has become a discussion about skill checks, rather than about how to actually disguise a donkey as a dwarf.

Fouredged Sword
2014-01-21, 12:09 PM
Obviously you stick a beard on it.

gawwy
2014-01-21, 02:06 PM
thanks for all the idea's :)

as for why.

I have a donkey appropriately named DEATH DONKEY (the 50th) that I keep with me that I command to tackle casters in fights (its surprising how often the donkey can grapple the caster successfully).

However my DM has ruled that animals cannot enter taverns. I feel its only right that the donkey is also able to partake of a beverage at the end of an adventuring day.

The dwarf part is mostly arbitrary although there arnt any dwarf for quite a distance from the current town we are in.

Barstro
2014-01-21, 02:08 PM
1) Make the donkey a wizard's familiar.
2) Cast Pathfinder's version of Alter Self on the Donkey to alter it into a dwarf. Or, convince the DM that share spell makes the wizard and the donkey turn into dwarves.
3) Put a Hat of Disguise on the Donkey/Dwarf so that you can explain to the enemy wizard that the hat is what's causing the magical aura from detect magic, and not the Alter Self spell.

If you need to do this mundane, then you need a very young donkey that can be trained to sit cross-legged. After you put a beard on said donkey, you can try to explain to the wizard that the dwarf simply cannot stand up right now.

However my DM has ruled that animals cannot enter taverns. I feel its only right that the donkey is also able to partake of a beverage at the end of an adventuring day.
Well, that gets rid of the "dwarf cannot move" aspect of this.

Prime32
2014-01-21, 05:09 PM
Reminds me of Sir Bearington (http://imgur.com/gallery/Ga923).