PDA

View Full Version : Martial Study Question

questionmark693
2014-01-20, 11:18 PM
As a swordsage, it says to learn a stance, I must choose said stance from a discipline that is open to me. If I take martial study, does that count as opening a discipline to me for purposes of learning a stance or maneuver from it later? Or is it just a one time thing?

Manly Man
2014-01-20, 11:35 PM
Unfortunately, you're stuck with what disciplines are normally available to the class. In this case, you've got only the Swordsage's base stuff available, even if you took a maneuver from, say, White Raven.

questionmark693
2014-01-20, 11:39 PM
Good to know. So the only way to get Devoted Spirit open to me would be to actually take levels in Crusader then?

Thrice Dead Cat
2014-01-20, 11:41 PM
Good to know. So the only way to get Devoted Spirit open to me would be to actually take levels in Crusader then?

Or the Martial Stance feat. Or prestige classes that give access to Devoted Spirit stances.

Manly Man
2014-01-20, 11:41 PM
That, or qualify for a prestige class that offers that discipline, such as Ruby Knight Vindicator or Jade Phoenix Mage.

EDIT: Swordsage'd.

Techwarrior
2014-01-21, 12:49 AM

Not exactly.

According to the actual wording of Martial Study, you should be able to acquire a Stance with the feat. A stance is a maneuver, and the feat doesn't disqualify you from selecting a stance.

Take it up with your DM.

Manly Man
2014-01-21, 01:34 AM
I think what he's asking is if taking Martial Study would let him take maneuvers or stances from another discipline that's normally not available to him when he gains levels, in this case, asking if he could use Martial Study to let him take Devoted Spirit maneuvers when he gains levels as a Swordsage. If that's the case, then I'm pretty sure that it's a resounding 'no' on that one.

DarkSonic1337
2014-01-21, 07:49 PM
It's a one time thing. Martial study does not make the discipline into one of your available disciplines, it just allows you to gain that discipline's skill as a class skill (this is permanent) and learn ONE maneuver from said discipline.

FMArthur
2014-01-21, 09:07 PM
psst. hey. you. guy considering taking martial study ever. look in the magic items section of tome of battle.

lsfreak
2014-01-21, 09:27 PM
psst. hey. you. guy considering taking martial study ever. look in the magic items section of tome of battle.

Kinda depends on why you're taking it. If you're after a stance, you might need to take it through feats. Given the horrendous level of consistency as to whether stances are special maneuvers or not maneuvers, different DMs will rule differently. I'd say the closest thing to a "primary source" on stances in the book says they clearly are maneuvers, but essentially the entire rest of the book ignores that.
EDIT: Specifically, OP, we're talking about Crowns of the White Raven and similar items.