PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Beastmaster Ranger and Effective Druid Level

Hytheter
2014-01-21, 01:44 AM
Beastmaster (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo---ranger-archetypes/beastmaster) is an Archetype for Rangers

A beast master forms a close bond with an animal companion. This ability functions like the druid animal companion ability except that the ranger’s effective druid level is equal to his ranger level – 3. The ranger gains a +2 bonus on wild empathy and Handle Animal checks made regarding his animal companion. Unlike a normal ranger, a beast master’s choice of animal companion is not limited to a subset of all possible animal companion choices—he may choose freely among all animal companion choices, just as a druid can.

The beast master may have more than one animal companion, but he must divide up his effective druid level between his companions to determine the abilities of each companion.

For example, a beast master with an effective druid level of 4 can have one 4th-level companion, two 2nd-level companions, or one 1st-level and one 3rd-level companion.

Each time a beast master’s effective druid level increases, he must decide how to allocate the increase among his animal companions (including the option of adding a new 1st-level companion). Once an effective druid level is allocated to a particular companion, it cannot be redistributed while that companion is in the ranger’s service (he must release a companion or wait until a companion dies to allocate its levels to another companion). The share spells animal companion ability does not give the ranger the ability to cast a single spell so that it affects all of his animal companions.

This ability replaces hunter’s bond.

So basically you split your Effective Druid Level between multiple companions. What I want to know is how it interacts with a pair of feats: Huntmaster (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/arg-feats/huntmaster-human) and Boon Companion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/boon-companion).

If you have the animal companion class feature, pick one of the following types of animal companions that this feat affects: bird, dog, small cat, or horse. If you have the divine bond (mount) or mount class feature, this feat always affects horses. You gain a +2 bonus on Handle Animal and Knowledge (nature) checks with creatures of that type of animal. Furthermore, you are treated as one level higher when determining the abilities of your animal companion or mount, as long as it is of the chosen type.
Say I'm a level 5 Beastmaster with two dogs. Do I increase my total effective Druid Level by 1 and then assign it to one dog, or do both dogs get treated as though I were one level higher?

Benefit: The abilities of your animal companion or familiar are calculated as though your class were 4 levels higher, to a maximum effective druid level equal to your character level. If you have more than one animal companion or familiar, choose one to receive this benefit. If you lose or dismiss an animal companion or familiar that has received this benefit, you may apply this feat to the replacement creature.

Special: You may select this feat more than once. The effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a different animal companion or familiar.
What I want to know is how the maximum works when I'm splitting up my levels between multiple companions. Let's say I'm a level 7 Beastmaster.
I have 4 Effective Druid Levels. I divide them up between 2 dogs. Therefore, each dog is treated as though my EDL were 2. If I use boon companion then one is treated as though I were EDL 6. This doesn't go over my Character Level, but it does if you include the two levels I gave to the other dog.
So does this limit the amount of levels I can grant with Boon Companion? If so, does that mean it's pointless to take Boon Companion again? Or is it ok as long as the total levels assigned to each dog doesn't exceed my character level, allowing me to have two EDL 6 dogs at level 7 by spending two feats?

Also, if I were to use both feats, even on a regular Ranger, does the boost from Huntmaster apply before or after the boost, and cap, from Boon Companion?
Eg
Ranger 6, EDL 3. Boon Companion increase to 7, capped to 6. Huntmaster increase to 7.
vs
Ranger 6, EDL 3. Huntmaster increase to 4. Boon Companion increase to 8, capped at 6.

Finally, are there any other ways to increase my effective druid level and optimise multiple companions?

grarrrg
2014-01-21, 11:18 AM
Paizo has yet to make a firm ruling on this.

There are also a couple threads with arguments going both ways.
Ultimately, you will need to talk to your DM to see what he'll allow.

Obviously the safe way is that Boon Companion factors in your _total_ druid level. So on a Beastmaster Ranger you could take it once to make up for the "level -3" and that would be it.
Huntmaster is basically be +1 total Druid level (but it doesn't have a 'level cap limit').

The cheese way would be Boon companions for EVERYONE! Getting 2 or 3 companions and taking Boon once for each (for the record, I am against this interpretation).

Finally, are there any other ways to increase my effective druid level and optimise multiple companions?

Not too many.
I'm not sure on the RAW of Mammoth Rider and Multiple companions (do you pick 1? do they all get supersized?), so you'd have to ask your DM again, but if you can supersize ALL of them....

Another way would be to take Pack Lord (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/archetypes/paizo---druid-archetypes/pack-lord) Druid for 1 level (or Beastmaster Ranger for 4) followed by Nature Mystery (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/mysteries/paizo---oracle-mysteries/nature) Oracle.
Voluntarily stack your Mount and Companion.
Take a race that gets a "+1/2 level to one Revelation" favored bonus (Elf > Half-Elf, Aasimar, and...one or two others). Then just pour everything into your Mount ability.
A Pack Lord 1/Oracle 10 has an effective Druid level of 16, +1 for Huntmaster (go Half-Elf of course), so you could two mount-companions at level 9 and 8.
But, again, this is a little rules-fuzzy, as Pack Lord splitting may only work with Pack Lord levels.

And now, a 100% actual Rules Approved way to get 2 decent Companions:
Cavalier for 4 levels, take the Horse Master (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/horse-master-combat) feat. Now your Mount-level = your Character level. Then start taking levels of Druid (or Oracle, or Ranger, or...), add the Boon Companion feat to make up for the 4 Cavalier levels.
TA-DA! Two level equivalent Companions!

Combine any of the above with a level of Mammoth Rider and go to town!

Hytheter
2014-01-21, 11:55 PM
Oh, I thought the Cavalier levels just stacked other classes for mount purposes?

But on further inspection, that doesn't happen if your other Companion isn't Cavalier compatable. That's interesting, but brings up some other concerns:

From what I can see here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/animal-companions#TOC-Wolf), at Druid Level (or equivelant) 7, a Wolf Companion (and some other animals) becomes Large. Could a Medium Level 7 Cavalier therefore choose a Wolf Companion as his mount, since it is now large enough to ride?

grarrrg
2014-01-22, 10:56 AM
From what I can see here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/animal-companions#TOC-Wolf), at Druid Level (or equivelant) 7, a Wolf Companion (and some other animals) becomes Large. Could a Medium Level 7 Cavalier therefore choose a Wolf Companion as his mount, since it is now large enough to ride?

By RAW I do not believe so, as the Mount ability says Medium > Camel/Horse.
But of all the questionable things in this thread, I think Medium > Wolf would be the easiest to get approved by your DM.

Coidzor
2014-01-22, 01:47 PM
The cheese way would be Boon companions for EVERYONE! Getting 2 or 3 companions and taking Boon once for each (for the record, I am against this interpretation).

Considering the feat expenditure, I can't really see how that could qualify as cheese.

grarrrg
2014-01-22, 10:55 PM
Considering the feat expenditure, I can't really see how that could qualify as cheese.

It was originally brought to my attention in a PF-E6 thread.
End goal was a Druid with SIX Companions at effective level 5.

In a more normal game, where you get to level 10+ the companions would fall behind, leaving you to focus on maybe 3 tops. I'm against it mainly due to interpretation reasons (I believe Boon Companion cares more about 'total' level, then 'that one particular companion over there' level).

Long term your best bet is Horse Master.