PDA

View Full Version : Adding abilities to magic items

beowulf_gr
2014-01-21, 05:50 AM
I've been looking at the rules for creating magic items again and it says clearly that you can add abilities to a magic item at a later point in time after creation by paying the cost of the difference between the new item and the old one. But what about requirements? Can a vey low level magic user take a +5 speed weapon and add an ability that costs a +1 enhancement. Or even do the same to an epic item or does he have to be able to make the final result by himself in the first place but because most of it is already done by somebody else he doesn't have to pay the XP and GP costs?

Kudaku
2014-01-21, 06:01 AM
To the best of my knowledge the rules don't specifically say how requirements and "adding new enhancements" interact, but the rules are very clear on requirements to craft a total number of enhancements.

It seems a bit pointless to require a Caster level of 15 to make a +5 weapon when a 3rd level crafter could make a +1 weapon, then add a +1 enhancement four times for the same result.

If this came up in a game I was running I'd require that the crafter would have to qualify to make the complete weapon when adding enhancements.

Edit: Voops, could have sworn I saw a PF tag in the thread title. Everything above assumes Pathfinder rules and may not be accurate for 3.5.

Yomega
2014-01-21, 06:05 AM
From the SRD:

Adding New Abilities

A creator can add new magical abilities to a magic item with no restrictions. The cost to do this is the same as if the item was not magical. Thus, a +1 longsword can be made into a +2 vorpal longsword, with the cost to create it being equal to that of a +2 vorpal sword minus the cost of a +1 sword.

So to my best reading you are making a +5 speed (random +1 ability) sword with a price (and by extention xp) reduction, however as you are still making a +5 sword you would need a minimum caster level of 15 asuming the enchants dont have a higher prerequisite

As a note a 5th level caster with an obsean amount of gold could make a +1 mercifull, thundering, throwing shortsword as the requirement is the higher of the enchantment bonus or the special ability.

beowulf_gr
2014-01-21, 06:05 AM
Totally agree with you in the case of actual +x enhancements. But what about adding the flaming ability? I mean it makes sense (+it says so in the DMG if I remember correctly) that a crafter would be able to take a weapon without even knowing what it is and make it a flaming weapon or sth.

Yomega
2014-01-21, 06:15 AM
For the requirements to make it you are not able to cherry pick your ability you are making the total weapon, but then you are discounted the price of what was already there.

From your previous example:
+5 speed shortsword (+5 enhancment bonus and +3 speacial ability makes effective +8 weapon worth 128,000 gp)
+5 flaming speed shortsword ( +5 enchantment bonus and both +1 and +3 speacial abilities makes effective +9 weapon worth 162,000 gp)
So to enchant it you would need caster level 15 spending (162k-128k)/2=17k gp worth of work

beowulf_gr
2014-01-21, 06:19 AM
I see. Well that makes sense. It also just makes it very very hard to upgrade an already decent weapon but oh well. :tongue:

Yomega
2014-01-21, 06:24 AM
Easyer than making a brand new weapon from scratch with redundant abilities you already have:smallamused:

Sorry I keep editing my posts right behind myself I swear I think of something as soon as I hit post

beowulf_gr
2014-01-21, 06:27 AM
True. I was just hoping I can avoid the search for an epic crafter but it seems it is unavoidable after all.

Yomega
2014-01-21, 06:28 AM
To the best of my knowledge the rules don't specifically say how requirements and "adding new enhancements" interact, but the rules are very clear on requirements to craft a total number of enhancements.

It seems a bit pointless to require a Caster level of 15 to make a +5 weapon when a 3rd level crafter could make a +1 weapon, then add a +1 enhancement four times for the same result.

If this came up in a game I was running I'd require that the crafter would have to qualify to make the complete weapon when adding enhancements.

Edit: Voops, could have sworn I saw a PF tag in the thread title. Everything above assumes Pathfinder rules and may not be accurate for 3.5.

Edit wars for the win ya totaly gotta keep an eye out for that pf tag these are the kinds of rules with just enough difference to get you in trouble.

Yomega
2014-01-21, 06:30 AM
True. I was just hoping I can avoid the search for an epic crafter but it seems it is unavoidable after all.

Why would you need an epic crafter? The caster level requirement hasnt changed from 15.

beowulf_gr
2014-01-21, 07:12 AM
Because that was just an example. In my case I have a +6 Featherlight, Speed Gargantuan Greataxe and want to also add the Valorous ability. I guess I could track down the guy who made it in the first place.

Yomega
2014-01-21, 07:37 AM
Worth noting epic levels often re write rules so you may find a better loophole there unfortunatly I am unfamiliar with most epic rules. I wish you luck

ShadowDBA
2017-04-21, 04:23 PM
What about adding enhancements to existing specific magic items?
Example, page 221 DMG 3.5:

Lion's Shield
This +2 heavy steel shield is fashioned to appear tp be a roaring lion's head. Three times per day as a free action, the lion's head can be commanded to attack (independently of the sheild wearer), biting with the wielder's base attack bonus (including multiple attacks, if the wielder has them) and dealing 2d6 points of damage. This attack is in addition to any actions performed by the wielder.

Moderate conjuration; CL 10th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Summon Nature's ally IV; Price 9,170 gp; Cost 4,670 gp +360 XP

I would like to add moderate fortification to the shield, which is +3 bonus (9,000 on it's own), but I'm not sure what it should cost to do so.

(Or adding Icy burst to a Sun Blade etc)