PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5 PrC] Farspeaker [PEACH]

Xuldarinar
2014-01-21, 10:00 AM
(WORK IN PROGRESS)
FARSPEAKER
"C'al ee. C'al ph'shugg. Nog'hlirgh, c'kadishtu nilgh'ri."

A farspeaker is one who seeks to master, not the language of the universe but the fundamental language of what lies beyond. Speaking in a truly aberrant tongue, they can influence the universe in equally aberrant ways. From warping the environment and creatures with the far-realm's touch, to calling creatures that should not even exist.

BECOMING A FARSPEAKER
All far speakers have some capability with Truespeech, making the true namer class an obvious choice. Its not uncommon, however, to see alienists taking up the path of farspeaker, given that they have already had contact with creatures of the far-realm and deal with them regularly.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Skills: Knowledge (the planes) 8 ranks, Truespeak 13 ranks.
Languages: Must have trained at least two aberration racial languages. Undercommon can be used for this purpose.
Special: Must have made peaceful contact with a pseudonatural creature.

TABLE 1-1: The Farspeaker--Hit Die:d6
Level|Base Attack BOnus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Lexicon of the Warped Mind|Lexicon of the Dreamer's Key|Lexicon of the Cerebrotic Blot
1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Known Personal Truename|1|-|-
2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|-|2|1|-
3rd|+2|+1|+1|+3|-|3|1|1
4th|+3|+1|+1|+4|-|4|2|1
5th|+3|+1|+1|+4|-|5|2|1
Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per level): Concentration, Knowledge (all skills taken individually), Listen, Sense motive, Speak Language, Spot, Truespeak.

CLASS FEATURES

-Known Personal Truename: You know your own personal true name. However, pronouncing it correctly requires a Truespeak check with a DC equal to 15 + (2x your HD) + 2. You get a +4 bonus on the Truespeak check because it's your personal truename.

-Far-Utterances (Sp): You have the ability to speak from a unique set of utterances, powerful combinations of true names that can alter the world around you in fundamental ways. These utterances exist in three lexicons: The Lexicon of the Warped Mind, the Lexicon of the Dreamer's Key, and the Lexicon of the Cerebrotic Blot. Upon becoming a farspeaker, you acquire knowledge of a single utterance of the warped mind. You gain access to utterances as indicated on the tables above.
The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against your utterances is 10 + your Farspeaker level - your Wis modifier.
For the purpose of making Truespeak checks involving far-utterances or creatures native to the far-realm, you get a +2 bonus to these checks for each aberrant language you have trained (Examples include: Aboleth, Beholder, Daelkyr, Grell, Kaorti, Qualith, Tsochari, and Undercommon). Furthermore, you may add your wisdom penalty as a bonus to your Truespeak checks. For example, an far speaker with a wisdom score of 6 would gain a +2 bonus on Truespeak checks with far-utterances or creatures naive to the far-realm. Conversely, a wisdom score of 14 would provide a -2 penalty to Truespeak checks.
Beginning at 2nd level, you also gain access to the utterances of the Lexicon of the Dreamer's Key, allowing you to alter objects with your truenames.
Beginning at 3rd level, you gain access to the utterances of the Lexicon of the Cerebrotic Blot, allowing you to alter places with your truenames.

Xuldarinar
2014-01-21, 11:45 AM
FAR-UTTERANCES

LEXICON OF THE WARPED MIND
Work in Progress. Suggestions welcome.

LEXICON OF THE DREAMER'S KEY

LEXICON OF THE CEREBROTIC BLOT

Anachronity
2014-01-21, 10:25 PM
It goes without saying that you'll need to fix the wonky truenaming DCs and all the other mechanical issues that truenamers face. I notice in "know personal truename" that you're still using HD x 2.

Beyond that, having a DC based off of level instead of 1/2 level is unusual. Having the DC be based off of inverse Wisdom bonus is kinda cool, but it becomes a severe limitation at high levels, a point in the game where truenamers already have a bunch of issues. Not much exists to boost the DCs of utterances, so your DC is pretty much hardcapped at 20 to 22 or so.

Flavor-wise this class is great. Truenaming + Far Realm is a great combination.

Xuldarinar
2014-01-21, 11:44 PM
It goes without saying that you'll need to fix the wonky truenaming DCs and all the other mechanical issues that truenamers face. I notice in "know personal truename" that you're still using HD x 2.

Beyond that, having a DC based off of level instead of 1/2 level is unusual. Having the DC be based off of inverse Wisdom bonus is kinda cool, but it becomes a severe limitation at high levels, a point in the game where truenamers already have a bunch of issues. Not much exists to boost the DCs of utterances, so your DC is pretty much hardcapped at 20 to 22 or so.

Flavor-wise this class is great. Truenaming + Far Realm is a great combination.

Well, yes. That does go without saying. Not a true fix but thats part of the reason behind the synergy bonuses. Mechanically, truenamers pnly work with high optimization. Its a shame, but thats how it is. In the class i want it usable in the rules as is.

The DC aspects were more on flavor than anything. I could add something for insanity rules. As for the full level, it was a whim more than anything to be honest. I'll need to come up with utterences for the PrC, suggestions welcome.

I agree the flavors mix well. In fact in the tome of magic, they already are associated to a point.

Arkhaic
2014-01-23, 08:09 PM
Have you considered using this alongside one of the truenaming fixes, rather than Tome of Magic truenaming? At the very least it will spare players a few headaches from having to take levels in truenamer for 9 levels. (Unless they go the Factotum route, in which case...I still suggest that you use one of the fixes, particularly one that stops stuff like buying +truespeech items, etc.)

Xuldarinar
2014-01-24, 07:08 PM
Have you considered using this alongside one of the truenaming fixes, rather than Tome of Magic truenaming? At the very least it will spare players a few headaches from having to take levels in truenamer for 9 levels. (Unless they go the Factotum route, in which case...I still suggest that you use one of the fixes, particularly one that stops stuff like buying +truespeech items, etc.)

I've considered it, but given there are various fixes, I felt it best personally just to stick with the book and make lemonade. If someone wants to use it with a fix, they can.

There is absolutely no reason for taking any levels in truenamer to become a farspeaker.