PDA

View Full Version : Broodhollow

Loreweaver15
2014-01-21, 10:00 AM
Fans of eldritch horror, enter here (broodhollow.chainsawsuit.com).

Broodhollow is a horror webcomic about an encyclopedia salesman moving to a small town where everything seems just a little bit off. Off? I'm sorry, I haven't seen anything off today. We don't have things that are off in Broodhollow!

Reverent-One
2014-01-21, 10:05 AM
Broodhollow is great. I've been a fan of Kris Straub's work for a while now, but Broodhollow is his best work yet.

Feddlefew
2014-02-02, 11:03 PM
I just came here to post a thread for Broodhollow. Good thing I checked!

Anyway, here's my guess as to what one of the big secrets might be:

Wadsworth didn't exist until sometime around six months ago.

There is a recursing theme of storytelling as a means of recording history, and someone pointed out in the comment thread for one of the earlier chapter 2 comics that no one seemed to remember Mr. Bellweather's death until after Iris wrote it down.

All of those detailed genealogy charts that the elder Zane made created Wadsworth. Maybe there's been more than one iteration of him that's gone to Broodhollow, and our Wadsworth is the first one to not be swiftly killed by one of the town's abominations.

This means that Wadsworth isn't hallucinating so much as he exists on the same level as the monsters do- he's a story. A carefully planned, well executed story brought to life by an eldrich location, but still unable to tell the difference between what's real and not because, for him, the distinction is negligible.

Edit: Typos, so many typos...

Loreweaver15
2014-02-02, 11:58 PM
I just came here to post a thread for Broodhollow. Good thing I checked!

Anyway, here's my guess as to what one of the big secrets might be:

Wadsworth didn't exist until sometime around six months ago.

There is a recursing theme of storytelling as a means of recording history, and someone pointed out in the comment thread for one of the earlier chapter 2 comics that no one seemed to remember Mr. Bellweather's death until after Iris wrote it down.

All of those detailed genealogy charts that the elder Zane made created Wadsworth. Maybe there's been more than one iteration of him that's gone to Broodhollow, and our Wadsworth is the first one to not swiftly get himself killed by one of the town's abominations.

This means that Wadsworth isn't hallucinating so much as he exists on the same level as the monsters do- he's a story. A carefully planned, well executed story brought to live by an eldrich location, but still unable to tell the difference between what's real and not because, for him, the distinction is negligible.

That's--
Wow.

Welp, you blew me outta the water.

Kislath
2014-02-03, 05:36 PM
Just read Book One.
So far, so fantastic!

D_Lord
2014-02-04, 01:09 AM
I like it, the contarts between the art within the story makes it extra good.

Feddlefew
2014-02-17, 09:32 PM
.... And it's back!

Cadavre week was amazing. I hope he collects all the little comic strips and makes a mini-anthology

Reverent-One
2014-02-17, 10:34 PM
Oh Zane, you were actually looking confident there for a second. Broodhollow isn't going to allow that.

Loreweaver15
2014-02-18, 05:54 AM
I love Mercy so much. Is it odd that I hope we get a little plush bat sooner or later?

Feddlefew
2014-02-20, 10:28 PM
This will end well. [/sarcasm]

On the other hand, apparently he remembers things while he's sleeping. Maybe.

D20ragon
2014-02-25, 01:57 PM
Wow. I just read all of broodhollow and it is excellent. Rarely have I seen a webcomic I enjoyed so much. Very well done.

Reverent-One
2014-03-03, 10:38 AM
Zane's remembering things, yes! Apparently it only requires him to be feeling extreme fear to break the town's memory effects. So, you know, no biggie.

Loreweaver15
2014-03-03, 10:58 AM
I'm glad he's breaking through them at all. That's been really worrying me these last couple months.

Zaydos
2014-03-04, 03:43 PM
Thank you for bringing this quite enjoyable web comic to my attention.

Loreweaver15
2014-04-30, 07:29 AM
Hrm.

Well, that (http://broodhollow.chainsawsuit.com/page/2014/04/28/no-peeking/)'s distressing.

some guy
2014-05-02, 04:42 AM
A few day ago, Kris Straub tweeted this:

would you like to know a neat secret about @broodhollow?
followed by this:

in book 1, when zane's decisions advanced the plot, he's facing/going to the right. when he made mistakes or wrong, he's facing/going left

at least, i tried to maintain that visually. i'm sure there are exceptions

I thought it might be of interest to some readers.

Kislath
2014-05-05, 02:24 AM
This is such a neat story. I wish the posting pace was faster, though.

sum1won
2014-05-15, 11:51 PM
So.... Latest update? Wow.

Kaptin Keen
2014-05-18, 07:19 AM
Straub has the ability to write insanely good plot lines. He really ought to write movie scripts. In other words, I'm excited to see where Broodhollow goes.

Kislath
2014-06-02, 01:18 PM
I would be quite happy to see this story brought to life as a movie.

Fralex
2014-06-02, 07:12 PM
I would be quite happy to see this story brought to life as a movie.

I could totally see the people behind the Coraline movie doing a really creepy stop-motion movie of this.