PDA

View Full Version : I really missed out. :(

G.Cube
2014-01-21, 02:57 PM
Note: If this request is illegal or violates any sort of rules from any involved party, please ignore and delete this thread, I am not aware of any such rules which would cause it to be, but I am putting this here just to make sure.

I learned of D&D Next late. I am part of a small group of friends who play D&D, and, due to various reasons such as college, parenting, and lack of a large gaming community, I missed out on the D&D Next test play material.

I was wondering if there is any legal way to still obtain it?

Airk
2014-01-21, 03:33 PM
Dunno about the legality, but...why would you want to? The stuff is changing constantly. It's not final. In many cases and by many metrics it's not even GOOD.

Wait for them to publish it. Then at least it will be as polished as it can be, and the rules will be official, rather than test cases. It's supposed to release this summer anyway, so what's the rush?

G.Cube
2014-01-21, 03:36 PM
Dunno about the legality, but...why would you want to? The stuff is changing constantly. It's not final. In many cases and by many metrics it's not even GOOD.

Wait for them to publish it. Then at least it will be as polished as it can be, and the rules will be official, rather than test cases. It's supposed to release this summer anyway, so what's the rush?

What if the final product isn't good? I don't want to invest in a new game I won't like, at least the play text will be -somewhat- of a "things potentially to come" experience.

hymer
2014-01-21, 03:40 PM
It's supposed to release this summer anyway, so what's the rush?

That's the most definite thing I've heard about the release date so far! Who said?

obryn
2014-01-21, 03:41 PM
That's the most definite thing I've heard about the release date so far! Who said?
Wizards of the Coast had a press release which announced it would be released at Gen Con, coinciding with the 40-year anniversary of D&D.

hymer
2014-01-21, 04:09 PM
Interesting! Thanks a lot.

Airk
2014-01-21, 04:18 PM
What if the final product isn't good? I don't want to invest in a new game I won't like, at least the play text will be -somewhat- of a "things potentially to come" experience.

Then you can probably tell that the old fashioned way - by talking to people about it. :)

I'm not suggesting you buy it on day 1 (Actually, that is the opposite of what I suggest for virtually any product), but the playtest rules are going to be a LESS good guide than actually like, discussing with any of the many people who I promise you WILL buy it very early, because any given thing that you liked/hated from the playtest may well have changed by the end product.

And thanks for answering the other question obryn - I got my info from here (http://www.critical-hits.com/blog/2013/12/19/dd-next-to-release-in-summer-2014/), which seemed reasonably official, since, yeah, press release.

Kurald Galain
2014-01-21, 04:23 PM
And thanks for answering the other question obryn - I got my info from here (http://www.critical-hits.com/blog/2013/12/19/dd-next-to-release-in-summer-2014/), which seemed reasonably official, since, yeah, press release.

"Just like a perfectly balanced party, Wizards has worked cohesively with fans" :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Exediron
2014-01-21, 05:47 PM
Unfortunately, no - it isn't legal. From the NDA we play testers all signed:

Confidentiality

As part of your participation as a D&D Next playtester, you will receive Playtest Materials that are proprietary and highly confidential to Wizards. You agree not to copy, excerpt, distribute (either in physical or digital format), publish, display, disseminate, release and/or transmit, in whole or in part, or create derivative materials from any Playtest Materials provided to you. You further agree that you will not use the Playtest Materials for your own benefit (other than to participate in the online playtest) or to the benefit of any third party. Notwithstanding the foregoing, you may publicly discuss your thoughts regarding the D&D Next Playtest Materials and your playtesting experience.

So in other words I can't give you any play test documents legally, but if you have any questions about issues you think might keep you from enjoying it, I think a play tester could legally talk about that part of the rules, providing they don't actually quote it.

G.Cube
2014-01-21, 07:52 PM

Confidentiality

As part of your participation as a D&D Next playtester, you will receive Playtest Materials that are proprietary and highly confidential to Wizards. You agree not to copy, excerpt, distribute (either in physical or digital format), publish, display, disseminate, release and/or transmit, in whole or in part, or create derivative materials from any Playtest Materials provided to you. You further agree that you will not use the Playtest Materials for your own benefit (other than to participate in the online playtest) or to the benefit of any third party. Notwithstanding the foregoing, you may publicly discuss your thoughts regarding the D&D Next Playtest Materials and your playtesting experience.

So in other words I can't give you any play test documents legally, but if you have any questions about issues you think might keep you from enjoying it, I think a play tester could legally talk about that part of the rules, providing they don't actually quote it.

Well, that ends that then. :( Thanks for letting me know, though!

Anxe
2014-01-21, 09:19 PM
I do think this thread strays into either the legal advice issue or the copyrighted material issue. You should probably self report to get rid of it, G. Cube.

Airk
2014-01-22, 10:23 AM
I do think this thread strays into either the legal advice issue or the copyrighted material issue. You should probably self report to get rid of it, G. Cube.

I don't really think asking "Hey, is this stuff covered by an NDA?" is "legal advice" or "copyrighted material".

Rhynn
2014-01-22, 11:38 AM
Is pointing out vigilante modding vigilante modding?

:smalleek:

*head asplode*

Anxe
2014-01-22, 11:00 PM
Is pointing out vigilante modding vigilante modding?

:smalleek:

*head asplode*

This one was more that I like G. Cube and didn't want to actually report his post and slap him with an infraction. Would a PM have been better?

Dragonmuncher
2014-01-23, 10:53 AM
This one was more that I like G. Cube and didn't want to actually report his post and slap him with an infraction. Would a PM have been better?

Better would be to take a deep breath, and just back out of the thread.

SiuiS
2014-01-23, 12:21 PM

Confidentiality

Ouch. That derivative works part hurts, I was hoping there was a way to cobble together the good parts. Alas.

Airk
2014-01-23, 02:02 PM
Ouch. That derivative works part hurts, I was hoping there was a way to cobble together the good parts. Alas.

What good parts, exactly? ;) I playtested Next less than a year ago, and at the time it was a train wreck of mediocre ideas all smooshed together with no clear design goal. It's practically being built by committee.

SiuiS
2014-01-23, 03:44 PM
What good parts, exactly? ;) I playtested Next less than a year ago, and at the time it was a train wreck of mediocre ideas all smooshed together with no clear design goal. It's practically being built by committee.

We went over it quite extensively (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321085), although you'd be hard pressed to see someone talk good about it. One of my last few posts actually summarizes the mechanics I thought were most worth building a game on (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16850320&postcount=978). :smallsmile:

Elana
2014-01-23, 03:54 PM
While the playtest is over, there is the "Ghosts of Dragonspear castle"
D&d Next Previw
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/123270/Ghosts-of-Dragonspear-Castle-%28D%26D-Next%29

It does give a summary of the rules needed to play.
What it lacks is proper character generation.
All you can do is using pregenerated characters, with predetermined advancement from level 1 to 10

And of course it is quite expensive if all you want to get out of it is an idea what D&D Next looks like