PDA

View Full Version : Character that rides a squirrel

albeaver89
2014-01-21, 06:06 PM
I don't care about the race. It just needs to ride a squirrel. Weapon would be nice if it was a bow, or dual crossbows. Mid-optimizations. 1-20 would be nice. Also I want my character to dress up like Darth Vadar....
http://imgur.com/gallery/6n8ekdh
The last picture in that imgur :) THANKS!!!!!

Zweisteine
2014-01-21, 06:14 PM
I don't know if any exist yet, but you'll need some sort of giant squirrel to ride, because no character race race is small enough to ride one, because it's already of Fine size.

You'll probably want to be small, to minimize the effort of finding a ridable squirrel (which would probably be medium-sized). Strongheart Halfling and Whisper Gnome are the best. The Halfling is better for most purposes, especially if you'll be using a mount.

Races of the Wild might have something for you.

To dress like Darth Vader, by a black cloak (and when you get a magic one, make it black instead of standard-colored; shouldn't cost any more). You can buy colored armor for a little extra (in Races of the Dragon), though your DM might let you have it for free, because there's no mechanical benefit. Getting a mask is easy, and helmets are part of most armor.

(i.e. back black full plate and a cloak, and you look like Vader)

Metahuman1
2014-01-21, 06:17 PM
Animal Growth to make it diminutive, and then be playing a half giant with the LA bought off and primordial templates and return to nature thrown on it twice.

This works best for something like a Caster or a Psion who is minimally gear dependent.

Telonius
2014-01-21, 06:41 PM
3.5 doesn't have listed stats for a squirrel. Pathfinder does (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/squirrel), and it's already a diminutive animal.

Darrin
2014-01-21, 08:20 PM
Skiurid (MM4) is a tiny evil squirrel. Maybe handwave it as an improved familiar of some sort, or take it as a cohort. Throw a Shrink Collar (10000 GP, A&EG) and it becomes small-sized as long as the collar is on. It can now be a mount for a tiny-sized rider, such as a Jermlaine (MM2) or Muckdweller (Serpent Kingdoms).

Or keep it tiny, play a Hengeyokai Crab, which is diminuative in crab-form. Fluff your shell as black, and you've got black "body armor". Which leaves the telekinetic choke... hmm. Hexblade curse, maybe?

Fitz10019
2014-01-22, 05:17 PM
Ask your DM to approve a Dire Squirrel. The 'dire' label is a real wildcard when it comes to the resulting size. Most animals only change one size category, but weasels jump from Tiny to Medium, and bats jump from Diminutive to Large. I suggest you use the stats of the Dire Badger as a Dire Squirrel, and replace the burrow speed with a climb speed. Then you'd have a medium animal, and could choose a Small race.

KillianHawkeye
2014-01-22, 05:46 PM
Asks how to make a character that rides on a squirrel... links to a picture of Darth Vader riding a chipmunk......... :smallconfused::smallconfused:

albeaver89
2014-01-22, 11:34 PM
Asks how to make a character that rides on a squirrel... links to a picture of Darth Vader riding a chipmunk......... :smallconfused::smallconfused:

Lol squirrel, chipmunk...You say tomato I say tomahto...(Spelling an accent)

Erik Vale
2014-01-22, 11:38 PM
Go flying squirrel from PF. I think they're slightly bigger, and quess what they can do. [Hint, it's in the name]

If it helps, apparently there is a feat called powerful mount, allowing a creature to serve as a mount to creatures of the same size. [Which seems good for when you want to ride your cohort in a table safe manner, and keep the opposable thumbs thing going]

dragonkingofthe
2014-01-23, 12:13 AM
paladins get special mounts right? so i'd play a paladins halfling and get a Squirrel that way "welp that's what i get for worshiping a nature god with a sense of humor"

Rubik
2014-01-23, 12:16 AM
You could always make a tauric dire chipmunk.

Bronk
2014-01-23, 10:14 AM
You could disguise a giant space hamster...

sideswipe
2014-01-23, 11:10 AM
apply the titanic template to a normal squirrel (you will have to sub in rules from a similar animal) then you could be any size you want and any race. wear at least full plate or heavier (mithril probably, heavy plate is the best) and buy a full face mask with the ability to disguise your voice (for example it could be a master work skill tool for the bluff skill which has small metal vents which distort sound from behind the mask slightly).

have the armour and mask painted black. and get a cloak (of charisma) also black and ride your titanic squirrel that you have payed someone to train (or have trained yourself if you have relevant class features or abilities/spells).

KillianHawkeye
2014-01-23, 02:17 PM
Lol squirrel, chipmunk...You say tomato I say tomahto...(Spelling an accent)

But they're completely different creatures! :smallannoyed:
http://www.science-art.com/gallery/24357/24357_9112007171337.jpg
Chipmunk on left, squirrel on right.

hamishspence
2014-01-23, 02:27 PM

They're both members of Sciuridae (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sciuridae)

Which is "the squirrel group within Rodentia"

Of which tree squirrels, chipmunks, and various ground squirrels, are part.

Just as "A dolphin is a kind of whale" so "A chipmunk is a kind of squirrel".

KillianHawkeye
2014-01-23, 02:35 PM
Don't get all biological on me now, LOL :smallamused:

Knowing that dinosaurs are a type of bird (or birds are a type of dinosaur depending on your point of view) doesn't help anybody when we're just having a normal conversation. If I asked you for a bird and you brought me a velociraptor, most people would agree that you brought the wrong thing even if they're technically in the same group.

So, even though chipmunks are clearly in the squirrel family, they are not the animal commonly called a squirrel.

BUT--I can see that my nitpicking is not helping, so I'll leave you all to your squirrel riding. :smallwink:

hamishspence
2014-01-23, 02:44 PM
If I asked you for a bird and you brought me a velociraptor, most people would agree that you brought the wrong thing even if they're technically in the same group.Heh. From a distance it would be hard to tell - both are winged and covered in feathers :smallbiggrin:

Rubik
2014-01-23, 02:51 PM
Heh. From a distance it would be hard to tell - both are winged and covered in feathers :smallbiggrin:Are you sure you're familiar with squirrels and chipmunks?

hamishspence
2014-01-23, 02:53 PM
Are you sure you're familiar with squirrels and chipmunks?

I was replying to:

If I asked you for a bird and you brought me a velociraptor, most people would agree that you brought the wrong thing even if they're technically in the same group.

Rubik
2014-01-23, 02:53 PM
I was replying to:Suuure you were.

hamishspence
2014-01-23, 02:56 PM
Regarding squirrels - what does the OP most want it to look like?

Vaz
2014-01-23, 03:27 PM
A Squirrel is a Tiny animal if you use the stats of a Rat as its base. There is no Diminutive creature, unless you count a Psionic Character manifesting Compression all the time. (A Jermlaine/Grig is Tiny, and playable, and Compression can reduce them to Diminutive, any Small Character with access to Augmented Compression can reduce them to Diminutive. This costs 6pp, for 6 rounds minimum, which isn't all that useful. With Earth Power, this gets you to 5pp, which you can use +1 Manifester Arrows to use for the power. 50 arrows nets you 250pp, or 300 rounds minimum (30 minutes). As you can see, to have it up for 24 hours, you'd need to get 14400 rounds worth, or 2400 Arrows; which actually makes them quite expensive.

Alternatively You could use Wild Cohort to gain a Dire Rat as the base for a Dire Squirrel. The only problem with the Wild Cohort is that it requires a Move Action to control (compared to the Druid). This can be overcome by using any of the additional standard/move action generating tricks. if in Eberron, then Mark of the Dauntless. If not, then Factotum with FoI works well.

Factotum 20 with Wild Cohort should work.

Precise Weapon Special Ability, Horizon Goggles, Battle Bridle, etc are all Magic Items granting feats to open up slots for more Font of Inspiration.

eastmabl
2014-01-23, 03:33 PM
paladins get special mounts right? so i'd play a paladins halfling and get a Squirrel that way "welp that's what i get for worshiping a nature god with a sense of humor"

Is there a nature deity that gets you within one step of the LG alignment? (Although I suppose there the variant pallies that could get you there as well).

Rubik
2014-01-23, 03:34 PM
Is there a nature deity that gets you within one step of the LG alignment? (Although I suppose there the variant pallies that could get you there as well).Mielikki (however you pronounce it) is NG.

Of course, you don't need to worship anything to be a paladin.

hamishspence
2014-01-23, 03:37 PM
And if you're using just the PHB and not Faerun, Ehlonna is her nearest equivalent (also a NG nature deity).

Coidzor
2014-01-23, 04:53 PM
Darth Vader is a space samurai with a built-in respirator/iron lung.

So to translate him into D&D pastiche fantasy you'd probably just have a black motif samurai with appropriate eastern armor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/armor/eastern-armor-and-shields).

Edit: Just don't use the samurai class. Unless you go Ronin, I suppose.

http://www.science-art.com/gallery/24357/24357_9112007171337.jpg
Chipmunk on left, squirrel on right.

So you're saying the squirrel will be bigger. But will it be a size category bigger?

KillianHawkeye
2014-01-23, 05:33 PM
So you're saying the squirrel will be bigger. But will it be a size category bigger?

The relative size of the creatures is really irrelevent to whatever lame point I was trying to make.

However, based on just the chipmunks that I've seen around where I live, I would probably size them as Fine creatures. Then again, I have no idea how they placed rats as Tiny without counting the length of their tails (which isn't supposed to be counted). I've certainly never seen a rat that was a whole foot in length. Must be some kind of big badass sewer rat? We don't get those around here. Maybe fantasy rats are just larger?

hamishspence
2014-01-23, 05:52 PM
I've certainly never seen a rat that was a whole foot in length. Must be some kind of big badass sewer rat? We don't get those around here. Maybe fantasy rats are just larger?

Probably. Could be weight rather than length - heaviest recorded pet rats are on the order of 2 lb if you believe wikipedia (but only 10 inches long at most) - with sewer rats not actually getting bigger than this.

And some other creatures are less than the listed minimum weight, or length/height.

The Winter Wolf springs to mind- 8 ft (the minimum length for Large) 450lb (less than the usual minimum weight).