PDA

View Full Version : help with running speed?

Deremir
2014-01-21, 07:03 PM
ok so im about to start a new campaign and i had an idea for my character, basically the whole character was going to be based off of an extremely fast running speed, unfortunately im pretty bad at research and so far ive only been able to get up to a 225 ft running speed.

were running a pathfinder game but the dm will take basically anything, save totally out of campaign things like star wars light sabers and what not, if there is a pathfinder ruling on it he seems to go with that.

at character creation we take a d&d trait a pathfinder trait and an amount of flaws that the dm thinks is appropriate, plain human= 1 flaw, i would like to try to keep any magical modifications to something that a wizard would be able to cast or create himself by level 5.

so basically, within these restrictions, how fast can i make this character? thank you all very much for your help:smallbiggrin:

supermonkeyjoe
2014-01-22, 05:46 AM
When you say running speed of 225 do you mean running,

Run feat is a must as your run is x5 speed instead of x4

Quick trait from d20 gives +10' land speed for -1hp/level

Dash feat from miniatures handbook 3.5 gives +5' of the fleet feat in PF does the same, these should stack

a barbarian gets an additional 10' on top and that's base speed of 60', 300' while running at level one without even really trying.

Be a race that doesn't tire like warforged and get some immunity to nonlethal damage and you can run forever at about 34 miles per hour.

Bullet06320
2014-01-22, 05:50 AM
Run feat is a must as your run is x4 speed instead of x4

run gives u x5

Uncle Pine
2014-01-22, 06:16 AM
Rapid Wrath is a handy +1 shortspear of mighty cleaving which doubles the speed of any creature that carries it. It's a useful thing to have in your backpack. 11.702 gp, from Ghostwalk.

HammeredWharf
2014-01-22, 06:23 AM
Footsteps of the Divine is a spell that gives you +50 ft movement speed, if you choose Fharlanghn. You can Persist it for a run speed of 720000 ft per round (1440000 with the aforementioned spear), although that's uh... a bit theoretical. Still, +50 ft of land speed won't hurt.

Another option is druid + Deadly Hunter + a PRC that gives Wildshape, such as Lion of Talisid from the Book of Exalted Deeds. You get +20 ft speed from Deadly Hunter, Wildshape into a horse and have a 100ft movement speed and 500 ft run without other buffs. Hold the spear in your teeth to double it.

MrNobody
2014-01-22, 06:46 AM
Since you ar running pathfinder, if you are interested in barbarians don't forget taking "swift foot" and "sprint" rage powers. Taking the first 3 times will give 15ft. at your base speed, the second will give you a x6 multiplier at speed for a fullround movement.

Adding this to the suggestions of supermonkeyjoe, raging you'll have 75ft. base movement, raised to 450ft for running.
Also remember that elven barbarians can spend their favouder class option to improve their speed.

Person_Man
2014-01-22, 11:07 AM
If homebrew is on the table, check out the Vanguard (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13098583). It could easily be converted into Pathfinder, assuming your DM allows Tome of Battle in Pathfinder.

If it's not, then I would caution you against making land based movement the center of any build. Unless you're using the "theater of the mind" (ie, no map) most D&D combat occurs within a very confined space - your tabletop. More specifically, the part of your tabletop not covered in books, cups, cheetos, etc. And within that limited space, most DMs will often limit it further, by placing encounters inside of a dungeon or other enclosed space. In such a space the ability to move quickly is usually meaningless, because combat and attacks of opportunity often results in bottlenecks. There's really not much of a difference or benefit to having a base movement higher then 40ish feet in most D&D games.

Having said that, if you're looking for a RAW (rules as written) movement based build, I would highly suggest four mechanics:

1) Flight: You can optimize fly speed almost as easily as you can optimize land speed. But flight offers the benefit of three dimensional movement, which means you're a lot less likely to get "boxed in" a confined space, unless there is also a very low ceiling. Flight also allows you to qualify for the Flyby Attack Feat.

2) Flyby Attack Feat + Standard Actions OR flying mount + Ride-By Attack Feat + Pounce: For high movement speed to be useful, you need to be able to move, attack an enemy, and then continue moving away from that enemy. RAW Spring Attack is terrible, in that it has horrible pre-reqs and limits you to a single attack. So your options are Flyby Attack + Standard Actions (spells, psionic powers, Binder vestige abilities, Totemist soulmeld abilities, or Swordsage/Crusader/Warblade maneuvers), or making a full attack via Ride-By Attack + Pounce (which requires some DM flexibility, since the RAW mounted combat rules are wonky).

3) Ethereal Movement: The ability to move through walls fixes the "bottleneck" problem. This can easily be accomplished via the Chupoclops vestige (Binder 10 with the Improved Binder Feat) or the Phase Cloak soulmeld bound to your Shoulder Chakra (Totemist 9, or various Totemist/prestige class options, or two Feats at 12 hit dice) or various spells.

4) Free Movement: Here's a list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358). Getting Swift Action, Immediate Action, and/or free action movement is often more effective then just adding base movement speed.

Deremir
2014-01-22, 09:20 PM
thank you all for your help! so far!:smallbiggrin: i think im going to play a raptorian and take person_man's advise to hart about flying, i don't know if im going to use your home brew yet cuz i don't know if my dm will allow it, on the assumption that he wont:

im planning to sort of flip back and forth from barbarian and fighter, ill take the quick trait and a +5 movement speed pathfinder trait my dm came up with, of course the run feat. i don't know of a way that i could get rid of nonlethal damage or fatigue with this race like supermonkeyjoe suggested so i think ill just take the die hard feat, that way if i really need to run a very long distance on end i can take the non lethal damage.

barbarian rage powers sprint and swift foot like mrnobody said... and because the raptorians are weird ill be able to sprint while flying. so before level five im at... 360 ft per round while running, and that's without any feats. so i might store up my feats for when i can fly.. any other thoughts?

Karoht
2014-01-22, 09:49 PM
Every time I see people stacking their speed, I always think to things like Spring Attack. And visualizing it in my head, someone running from 100ft away, stabbing someone (sadly once because Spring Attack doesn't combine with anything), and then bouncing 100ft away, only to do so again the following turn.
If Spring Attack was just a bit more tweakable, oh the fun we could have.

Grayson01
2014-01-23, 07:28 AM
If you are using any thing 3.5 or 3.P
I would say be a Monk Human with one or two flaw and one trait
Level 1 Take the regional feat Fleet of Foot from (I think the FR Campighn book) Then for your Flaw feat take Dash, for you Human Bonus Feat take Run
then for traits take Frail -1 HP Per level for +10 Movement
so at 1st level you would have Base 30ft + 10 for Fleat of foot + 10 for Frail + 5 for Dash for a base of = 55ft X 5 for run 275ft on a run.

Then every feat after that take Dash again

this is the most optimized build built for just running fast.

Karoht
2014-01-23, 06:29 PM
Well, that begs the question, what can you do with a huge move speed aside from Spring Attack Sniper or Charge/Pounce Sniper tactics? Huge jump checks? The jump-o-mancer (AKA Jumping Diplomancer) comes to mind.

holywhippet
2014-01-23, 07:54 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/boots-of-striding-and-springing

Only gives 10 feet of base speed increase though. The 3.0 version was better, it doubled your speed.

kpumphre
2014-01-23, 09:44 PM
Feat travel devotion gives an extra movement of 30 3 times per day I believe.

boots of skating (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#bootsofSkating) is +15 as an enhancement bonus, +15 more downhill but no bonus at all when going uphill.

Fastest speed boost for item that is always on that I can find that are always active.

Grayson01
2014-01-24, 05:19 AM
Well, that begs the question, what can you do with a huge move speed aside from Spring Attack Sniper or Charge/Pounce Sniper tactics? Huge jump checks? The jump-o-mancer (AKA Jumping Diplomancer) comes to mind.

Over come every encounter by running away as fast as possible! or Win the Waterdeep ultra Marathon!