PDA

View Full Version : Width of a large monster's line breath weapon?

MrUberGr
2014-01-21, 09:21 PM
So assuming you have a large monster that has a breath weapon. Since the monster is large, how wide is the breath weapon? Will it be 2 squares wide as well?

What happens in the case of a even larger monster?

TuggyNE
2014-01-21, 10:05 PM
It depends on the creature, but dragon breath weapons explicitly do not change line width when the dragon does. (I'm not sure any would, in fact.)

Slipperychicken
2014-01-21, 10:29 PM
Unless the breath weapon special ability changes, then it should retain the same dimensions (length and width) as before.

KillianHawkeye
2014-01-21, 10:51 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a line effect that was more than 5 feet wide.

MrUberGr
2014-01-22, 03:57 AM
So even a colossal black dragon's breath weapon (line of acid) would be 5ft wide?

TuggyNE
2014-01-22, 06:18 AM
So even a colossal black dragon's breath weapon (line of acid) would be 5ft wide?

Most definitely.

ArmoredSandwich
2014-01-22, 06:52 AM
There might be feats that can alter the breath weapon, for d&d 3.5 check http://dndtools.eu/feats/categories/metabreath/

Khedrac
2014-01-22, 07:36 AM
This question depends on what game you are playing (this is the general RP forum) and is best asked in the approrpiate sub-forum.

Anyway if playing 3.0/3.5/PF or varaints then lines are complex - they do not have a real width.
You measure the straight line on the map, any square it touches is affected.
Thus if it goes down the edge of two squares they are both affected (i.e. 10' wide).
If it goes through the middle just the square (i.e. 5' wide but...)
Lines should be drawn from any corner of one square to any corner of another. In the case of breath weapons it is a corner of the creature's square(s) (I cannot afb rememebr if it is any corner of any square the creature occupies, or one of the 4 corners of the creature's base footprint).
This means that by juding diagonals carefully you have a fair emount of say in what gets hit and what does not get hit.

Slipperychicken
2014-01-22, 12:21 PM

It would, however, be 140ft long.

A dragon with a cone weapon would have a 70ft range, but it would also be 70ft high. Assuming that means 70ft is the radius of the cone, you're getting a preposterous area out of that.

Knaight
2014-01-22, 12:35 PM

Yes. Presumably it's head is also not much more than five feet wide at the opening of the throat, which seems entirely reasonable.

Slipperychicken
2014-01-22, 01:20 PM
Yes. Presumably it's head is also not much more than five feet wide at the opening of the throat, which seems entirely reasonable.

Human heads don't grow much during development, and we go through roughly 3 size categories, so it's reasonable to assume that dragons might be similar in that regard.

Ansem
2014-01-22, 01:35 PM
Cone > Line from experience, much more surface.

TuggyNE
2014-01-22, 09:14 PM
This question depends on what game you are playing (this is the general RP forum) and is best asked in the approrpiate sub-forum.

Looks like the d20 subforum to me. :smallconfused: Edit: Forgot to check before posting; it got moved. :smallsigh:

Anyway if playing 3.0/3.5/PF or varaints then lines are complex - they do not have a real width.
You measure the straight line on the map, any square it touches is affected.
Thus if it goes down the edge of two squares they are both affected (i.e. 10' wide).
If it goes through the middle just the square (i.e. 5' wide but...)
Lines should be drawn from any corner of one square to any corner of another. In the case of breath weapons it is a corner of the creature's square(s) (I cannot afb rememebr if it is any corner of any square the creature occupies, or one of the 4 corners of the creature's base footprint).
This means that by juding diagonals carefully you have a fair emount of say in what gets hit and what does not get hit.

None of this applies to any sort of scaling; the 5' nominal width has the same amount of flex in positioning when breathed out by a great wyrm as by a wyrmling.