PDA

View Full Version : Acquiring Circle Magic as a Elf

j_spencer93
2014-01-22, 04:26 AM
Ok I am making a major BBEG to end my campaign overall, and have decided that an ancient elf has returned, one who has spent the last several thousands years learning "all" types of magic, but can not find a way to give him circle magic because every way i find requires human.
Any suggestions?

Yomega
2014-01-22, 04:30 AM
Its your BBEG just hand wave it, he found some ancient spell or whatnot that allows him to count as human for the purpose of circle magic.

eggynack
2014-01-22, 04:30 AM
I can't see a racial restriction on hathran (PGtF, 59), and that class gets circle magic at 5th level, so that could work.

j_spencer93
2014-01-22, 04:31 AM
The feat ethran (required for Hathran) requires human. Also ya maybe just hand waving it would work...or make it a feat for him only (basically hand waving it but at the least it drains him of a feat)

eggynack
2014-01-22, 04:33 AM
Huh. So it does. That's certainly a thing of some variety.

j_spencer93
2014-01-22, 04:35 AM
All circle magics i can find so far require human actually.

Erik Vale
2014-01-22, 04:37 AM
Alter Self [Human]
Pick feat.
Before each level, Alter Self [Human].

You may also need to use said means to actually use circle magic.

But yes, in all honestly, handwave.

j_spencer93
2014-01-22, 04:38 AM
Actually found my answer i think in ghostwalk, they have a circle magic feat but only for divine casters (my elf purely arcane by chance) but can use modified version for a few for the BBEG. Thanks Anyways.

Also what all types of magic are there in 3.5? (Mainly Faerun?) or should that be another thread all together?

bekeleven
2014-01-22, 12:50 PM
Also what all types of magic are there in 3.5? (Mainly Faerun?) or should that be another thread all together?

Arcane, Divine, Pact, Shadow, Truename, Invocation, Incarnum.

Not magic: Psionics, Maneuvers (Sublime Way).

Not listed: Some UA variant systems.

Sam K
2014-01-22, 01:04 PM
The feat ethran (required for Hathran) requires human. Also ya maybe just hand waving it would work...or make it a feat for him only (basically hand waving it but at the least it drains him of a feat)

Couldn't a properly worded wish solve it? Wish to be able to bypass the feat requirement, or something? Or wish to be able to take the feat even though you dont meet the prereqs (or maybe just to be able to take it without being human, since you probably dont want to let people bypass all feat prereqs this way)?

Otherwise you could just homebrew a PRC that gives him access to circle magic as an elf. It's not like it would be overpowered in 3.5, with elves being generally inferior to humans. If the players beat the BBEG any elven arcane caster might learn the PRC as a reward, if they want.