PDA

View Full Version : Types of Magic in 3.X

j_spencer93
2014-01-22, 04:50 AM
Related to an earlier post (which go me thinking) i was curious what all types/Variation of magic there was was 3.X dnd. I am making a BBEG that uses "all types" so was just curious if i missed any?

So far i have included this list as new types/variations;
Elven High Magic (Elven High Mage)
Spell Glyph (Geometer)
Rune Magic (Inscribe rune feat)

Rune Circle Magic (feat)
Gem Magic (Imbue gem)
Epic Magic (Feat)
Defiler Magic (dark sun)
Tattoo magic
Drift Magic (Sandstorm) (Drift Magic)
Elder Giant Magic (secrets of xendrik)
Circle magic (modified)
shadow weave (shadow adept) (maybe)
Shadow magic (shadow caster) (not using for BBEG)
true name (true namer) (not using for BBEG)
binding (binder) (not using for BBEG)
Incarnum (Incarnum) (not using for BBEG)

maybe consider cormanthyr moon magic and lunar magic as a variation

Did i miss any other unique variant of magic?

Limited Gish
2014-01-22, 05:28 AM
There are the Warlock and Dragon Fire Adepts Invocations. And you may have left it out on purpose, but psionics is magic-like, if not quite magic.

j_spencer93
2014-01-22, 05:38 AM
ya idk how i forgot invocations or psionics. But in any case is that about all the magic types there is? (including feats that claim your magic is different because it was taught by ancient civilizations)

HammeredWharf
2014-01-22, 05:46 AM
Swordsages can use the Sublime Way to produce effects that "are overtly supernatural or magical in nature".

j_spencer93
2014-01-22, 05:51 AM
actually also figured they werent magic (idk how to use their abilities though).

Melcar
2014-01-22, 06:01 AM
Related to an earlier post (which go me thinking) i was curious what all types/Variation of magic there was was 3.X dnd. I am making a BBEG that uses "all types" so was just curious if i missed any?

So far i have included this list as new types/variations;
Elven High Magic (Elven High Mage)
Spell Glyph (Geometer)
Rune Magic (Inscribe rune feat)

Rune Circle Magic (feat)
Gem Magic (Imbue gem)
Epic Magic (Feat)
Defiler Magic (dark sun)
Tattoo magic
Drift Magic (Sandstorm) (Drift Magic)
Elder Giant Magic (secrets of xendrik)
Circle magic (modified)
shadow weave (shadow adept) (maybe)
Shadow magic (shadow caster) (not using for BBEG)
true name (true namer) (not using for BBEG)
binding (binder) (not using for BBEG)
Incarnum (Incarnum) (not using for BBEG)

maybe consider cormanthyr moon magic and lunar magic as a variation

Did i miss any other unique variant of magic?

Well correct me if I'm wrong, but as I see it, there are realy only a few types of magic. Either arcane or divine as the two main divides. Under each you might say that epic magic runs on its own fuel. Psionic while still in game mechanics terms is magic, not realy magic as I see it. Its Dr. X/Jean Grey type of stuff.

Well adlest thats how I usually see it. Its standard arcane weave magic if it goes away in dead magic zones...

Limited Gish
2014-01-22, 06:09 AM
ya idk how i forgot invocations or psionics. But in any case is that about all the magic types there is? (including feats that claim your magic is different because it was taught by ancient civilizations)

Off the top of my head I know there's the Black Lore of Moil, which is a metamagic feat dealing with Necromancy. There's also primitive caster from Frostburn, which lets you add components to your spells to increase caster level. I doubt either of these are exactly what you want, but I felt they were worth a mention.

Dr. Azkur
2014-01-22, 07:06 AM
Artificers and their infusions, maybe?

Asrrin
2014-01-22, 05:16 PM
Would a Sha'ir count? They make contracts with elementals to gain there spells.

prufock
2014-01-22, 08:14 PM
Started one of these a while ago (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-263680.html). Not sure how complete it is.