PDA

View Full Version : 3.5] Small Fighter Fix - The Versatile Fighter

6thEdition
2014-01-22, 04:54 AM
Instead of getting your 6th, 8th, 10th, 12th, 14th, 16th, 18th and 20th bonus feats, you get 9 bonus feats, or, actually, three lists of nine feats. Your feat list is your first chosen fighter bonus feats list, but as a standard action, you can swap your first list for your second or third list.

Confused? Here's an example:

Asd the 4th level Fighter has hit 5th level. Now, he makes three different lists of feats. In one, there are trip-related feats, in the second, there are grapple-related feats and in the third, there are charge-related feats.

Now, as a standard action, he can swap out his default list (normal feats gained + bonus feat at 1st, 2nd and 4th + first list made at 5th) into one of his alternate lists (normal feats gained + bonus feat at 1st, 2nd and 4th + second or third list made at 5th)

At 10th level, you can make a fourth list, at 15th you can make a fifth list, and at 20th you can make a sixth.

This is designed to give fighters versatility. At 20, Asd could have a Trip feats list (Improved Trip and the like), a Mage Slayer list (Mage Slayer and the like), a Social list (Master Manipulator and the like), a charge list (Improved Charge and the like), a grapple list (Improved Grapple and the like) and a Weapon list (Weapon Specialization and the like).

You do not need to qualify for these feats. You can take them as long as they are on the fighter bonus feat list. You also cannot take Epic Feats unless you are an Epic Fighter.

Aldurin
2014-01-22, 08:41 AM
You do not need to qualify for these feats. You can take them as long as they are on the fighter bonus feat list. You also cannot take Epic Feats unless you are an Epic Fighter.

I want to argue this point, saying "But then you just build feat lists out of the feats normally taken just before epic" but then I remember that martial characters get the shortest end of the stick with feat lines. I'd have to look at a comprehensive list of fighter bonus feats to be sure, but this is an interesting idea that might work.

EDIT: For adaptation justifying this would be difficult, aside from a warforged or shapechanger shifting into different modes. Which is really badass when I think about it.

togapika
2014-01-22, 09:20 AM
EDIT: For adaptation justifying this would be difficult, aside from a warforged or shapechanger shifting into different modes. Which is really badass when I think about it.

Transform and roll out?

Grod_The_Giant
2014-01-22, 01:56 PM
A few concerns:

First, while you do get more combat options, you still can't do much of anything outside of combat. Boosting skill points and writing a better list could help here, as could some sort of Bardic Knack type deal ("Mercenary Knack?")
Secondly, while you'll be a lot more fun, you'll still wind up lacking power at higher levels. Being good at all the combat maneuvers is nice, but you need to be able to keep using your trips and grapples when foes start getting enormous, flying, possessed of high-level magics, or all three.
Finally, and probably least importantly, while being able to switch from tripping to charging to archery is excellent, you'll have trouble affording all the different weapons you'll need.

6thEdition
2014-01-23, 01:20 AM
What about each "feat list" having different skills, too? Your archery and trip feats list might have similar skills, but your social feat list might have something completely. different. Your Mage Slayer might have Use Magic Device :smallwink: while your Social might have Diplomacy, etc.

Also, what do you think about limiting the number of switches? Probably 4 at fifth level, six at tenth,, eight at fifteenth and ten at twentieth.