PDA

View Full Version : How much of Pathfinder is open game content?

Harpazo
2014-01-22, 02:25 PM
Can I use the online SRD and download from these links: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/downloads is that considered unlawful reproduction of the game content? Or can myself and all of the folks in our Pathfinder group use the PDF files without breaking any content copyright laws?

Snowbluff
2014-01-22, 02:54 PM
Let me see if I remember how this works. I'm not a lawyer, but using PDfs you did not purchase or are not offered freely is probably not legal.

The SRD is legal, though. It's a difference between the product and the content.

Harpazo
2014-01-22, 02:58 PM
What about downloading this PDF? https://docs.google.com/a/students.kuyper.edu/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxwYXRoZmluZGVyb2djfGd4OjZi N2QwZWQ0MWVkMGVhZTA

Snowbluff
2014-01-22, 03:00 PM
It's marked as open content. Go for it.

Harpazo
2014-01-22, 03:05 PM
Thanks random internet consultant! :D *crosses fingers he doesn't get sued* xD

watchwood
2014-01-22, 03:07 PM
Unless you're actively profiting from it, they're probably not going to care all that much.

Spuddles
2014-01-22, 03:08 PM
Let me see if I remember how this works. I'm not a lawyer, but using PDfs you did not purchase or are not offered freely is probably not legal.

The SRD is legal, though. It's a difference between the product and the content.

I see you have a degree in fake laws.

Spuddles
2014-01-22, 03:09 PM
Everything on the website in OP is safe to use. The mechanics are all open, but most of the fluff has been scrubbed

Paizo has realized the real money in gaming is selling picture books & minis. They've basically moved to the pay-for-hats model that many successful electronic game devs use.

Snowbluff
2014-01-22, 03:20 PM
I see you have a degree in fake laws.

It's useful when handling Youtube "Copyrights." :smalltongue:

Hunter Noventa
2014-01-22, 03:23 PM
Everything on the website in OP is safe to use. The mechanics are all open, but most of the fluff has been scrubbed

Paizo has realized the real money in gaming is selling picture books & minis. They've basically moved to the pay-for-hats model that many successful electronic game devs use.

And adventure paths. aka 'Episodic Content'.

LibraryOgre
2014-01-22, 07:15 PM
The Mod Wonder: Do not ask for legal advice on the forums.