PDA

View Full Version : Holy Warrior Paladin Build Help

pyrese
2014-01-22, 03:22 PM
I'm trying to build a Holy Warrior variant(CC, pg 49) Paladin (stock or of Freedom, UA pg 53) for an upcoming campaign and would appreciate any input that y'all have to offer.

Flavor-wise I havent yet decided on deity: it somewhat depends on what campaign the DM runs. Either Ehlonna (paladin of freedom, protector of the forest) or St. Cuthbert (or Rao) (stock paladin, Judge/Enforcer).

For starters, Aasimar appeals to me (daylight, partially celestial, ect), and the plus to CHA doesn't hurt. Also, I'd like to include the feat Animal Devotion(though I may work with the DM to re-flavor it in the case of Cuthbert or Rao).

Restrictions: I would like to avoid ToB. Dragon content is okay, but I'll have to put it past the DM.

With that all said: Where would you go from here?

Urpriest
2014-01-22, 03:24 PM
If you're going with the Holy Warrior variant, I assume you're planning to PrC out pretty early? Anything in particular you're aiming for in that respect?

pyrese
2014-01-22, 03:30 PM
Yes! I absolutely plan to PrC out early. My first thought was after 5, for the mount or spirit(dungeonscape), though I'm not sure which direction to go. I'd given some thought to Grey Guard and to Sword of Righteousness.

Also. Stats are 28 pt. buy.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-01-22, 05:59 PM
Cloistered Cleric 1/ Paladin 19, keep your Paladin spellcasting. Trade your Paladin turn undead for Divine Counterspell in CM, and trade your special mount for Charging Smite in PH2. Get Knowledge Devotion, another devotion feat (Law is good), and the Inquisition domain from Cloistered Cleric. Get Practiced Spellcaster: Paladin early, take Divine Defiance in FC2 at 6th, and you can spend a turn undead use (from Cleric) to counterspell (using Divine Counterspell) as an immediate action.

Here's a build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275093#5) that does all of that and more, the Half-Orc portions are entirely optional but not a bad choice at all. If you want to go Aasimar, use Lesser Aasimar in PGtF (Humanoid creature type, no LA) along with the Half-Humans variant (RoD p150) to qualify for feats as though you're human.

Xerlith
2014-01-22, 06:01 PM
A fun build I once played was a Paladin5 with Charging Smite/Favored Soul2/Fist of Raziel10. Never got past 13th level, sadly.

I wouldn't take Holy Warrior though. Paladin wands are cheap and good after all.

Metahuman1
2014-01-22, 09:02 PM
Cloistered Cleric 1/ Paladin 19, keep your Paladin spellcasting. Trade your Paladin turn undead for Divine Counterspell in CM, and trade your special mount for Charging Smite in PH2. Get Knowledge Devotion, another devotion feat (Law is good), and the Inquisition domain from Cloistered Cleric. Get Practiced Spellcaster: Paladin early, take Divine Defiance in FC2 at 6th, and you can spend a turn undead use (from Cleric) to counterspell (using Divine Counterspell) as an immediate action.

Here's a build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275093#5) that does all of that and more, the Half-Orc portions are entirely optional but not a bad choice at all. If you want to go Aasimar, use Lesser Aasimar in PGtF (Humanoid creature type, no LA) along with the Half-Humans variant (RoD p150) to qualify for feats as though you're human.

This, but consider dipping Crusader for one level somewhere along the line's. There similar enough that a reasonable DM should be willing to let you take a level and return to paladin progression. Also see if you can periodically retrain your maneuvers for higher level one's to keep the dip solid.