PDA

View Full Version : Assistance required with creating an assassin-rogue type character

Pinkcrusade
2014-01-22, 03:27 PM
Greetings, Playground.

I am planning to create a rogue/assassin type character -- my goal for him is to maximize sneak attack, so he doesn't do lots of head-on damage, but when he gets a sneak attack it is quite fantastic.

League of Legends reference: Rengar (if that will be of any assistance),

Any tips or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-22, 04:01 PM
The best way to deal sneak attack damage that I can think of is with a rogue 1/ wizard x/ unseen seer 10.

Use that spell that extends your sneak attack range and that spell that gives you you cl/3 d6 sneak attack then cast twinned and quickened telekinesis to throw 45 shurikens at someone.

With 11d6 sneak attack and craven you should do 495d6+900 on one turn.

Azoth
2014-01-22, 04:14 PM
The next highest damage dealing form of a sneak attacker is a multiclass monstrosity picking up the first level of a bunch of classes that grant sneak attack on their first level.

While an unseen seer build is the most powerful option, because hey your a rogue who also has wiz 19 casting, it can be a bit complicated to get the most out of those builds if you aren't used to playing casters and you can end up making bad choices that screw you over.

I don't get your LoL reference, so no help there. Could you tell us a bit more of how you envision the character or what/how you want them to accomplish things?

TheMonocleRogue
2014-01-22, 04:47 PM
I'd suggest going ninja/assassin if you wanted your character to be more like Rengar. They get swift invisibility and a massive bonus to jump, climb, and tumble checks. Sudden strike is a lot like sneak attack except it doesn't work when flanking (only works when dex bonus is denied).

With the assassin prestige class you can study for 3 rounds, charge in with invisibility, use the feat Ki Smite, and death attack. Once you get hide in plain sight (8th level assassin) you can do this so often that the DM may hate you for it and summon undead or constructs to fight the party.

Edit: Another thing to mention: sneak attack and sudden strike stack with each other so going ninja/assassin won't hamper your damage in any way.

Maginomicon
2014-01-22, 05:04 PM
There's an assassin base class.

It's called the Lurk.

If you don't like the normal Lurk, it has two variants (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a) called "True Thief Lurk" and "Tracker Lurk". Depending on your focus, an assassin might be better as a "Tracker Lurk" than a standard Lurk. Regardless, personally, I house-rule the following about these variants.

Tracker
This lurk alternate class feature also grants (pick one set)...

survival (as a class skill) and track (as a bonus feat) or
gather information (as a class skill) and urban tracking (as a bonus feat).

True Thief
This lurk alternate class feature also grants disable device and search as class skills.

Rebel7284
2014-01-22, 05:22 PM
I don't know Rengar, but unseen seer is indeed the best if you want crazy sneak attack numbers while remaining a powerful character. Draconic Polymorph for a bunch of sneak attack dice + Hunter's Eye + Improve Invisibility. Eventually you can just persist the low level buffs (or dip incantatrix for a few levels.

Azoth
2014-01-22, 05:23 PM
Just got done looking up Rengar, and he seems pretty straight forward with very little magic inately. Mainly a track it, ambush it, cut it to ribbons type. Simple enough really.

Rogue4/Ranger2/Dread Commando5/Swordsage2/Nightsong Enforcer7

At Rogue 4 Take the Penatrating Strike ACF to get 1/2 your precision damage on foes you flank that are normally immune (undead, constructs, plants, oozes).

Take the Dread Commando ACF that trades Armored Ease for concealment in Natural terrain.

Use your Sworsage levels to pick up some choice/thematic maneuvers and Assassin's stance (+2d6 sneak attack). You will be able to nab lvl3-4 maneuvers when the dip occurs.

This build gives 18BAB, decent saves, good damage potential(7d6 sneak attack and 3d6 sudden strike before items), and some benefits to the rest of your group for being near you (+5 initiative and upto +4 to various skills).

Another Simpler option that fits just as easily with a little less damage, but more magic is a Swift Hunter build. scout/ranger/cloistered cleric/more ranger.

If LA buy off is allowed I recommend the Dark template for +1LA.

gorfnab
2014-01-22, 06:12 PM
Rogue4/Ranger2/Dread Commando5/Swordsage2/Nightsong Enforcer7

At Rogue 4 Take the Penatrating Strike ACF to get 1/2 your precision damage on foes you flank that are normally immune (undead, constructs, plants, oozes).

Penetrating Strike ACF comes in at Rogue 3, you trade Trap Sense for it.

4th level of Rogue does net you the BAB needed to get into Dread Commando (Uncanny Dodge is nice too, but sometimes situational). Another option would be a level of Swashbuckler for free Weapon Finesse or a level of Barbarian (Spirit Totem: Lion, Whirling Frenzy, and maybe City Brawler ACFs) instead of a 4th level of Rogue.

Another build option would be Rogue 3/ X 2/ Assassin 9/ Telflammar Shadowlord 6. X 2 can be more levels of Rogue, a level of Swashbuckler and a level Barbarian as mentioned above, two levels of Monk with the the Cobra Strike ACF and Invisible Fist ACF, or two levels of Fighter for the feats.

Psychic Rogues (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234327) make decent assassins as well.

As mentioned in previous posts Rogues mixed with arcane casters (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1240) can also make great and versatile assassins.

LordHenry
2014-01-22, 06:37 PM
I would suggest Telflammar Shadowlord to model his jump ability - Nice way to get a full attack and to strike from surprise.