PDA

View Full Version : Character that fights using a Bag of Holding?

sarrsharo
2014-01-22, 04:39 PM
Designing a sort of joke character with the premise of a male Dwarf (Or possibly Human) whose main form of combat is essentially kidnapping enemies by throwing a Bag of Holding over their head, closing it, and waiting the required 10-15 minutes before their air runs out and they die.

My questions relate to how this might work in combat, what race and class would be best for this, and additional roleplay ideas if any.

As far as I can tell, a Grappler character would be the best for this, but I'm not sure how combat would take place?

In terms of roleplay, I wanted to name him Saint Nick or something of the sort (Jelly belly, long white beard, jolly demeanor, based off of Santa Clause for ****s and giggles.)

Diarmuid
2014-01-22, 05:03 PM
What sort of mechanics would you use for attacking with the bag?

TheMonocleRogue
2014-01-22, 05:06 PM
If your DM is okay with you using a cursed item in the campaign, I would suggest using a Bag of Devouring. (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Bag_of_Devouring) Its a bag of holding that eats anything living inside of it. Reaching into the bag or even putting it over someone's head provokes a grapple from the bag which then draws them inside and consumes them, bones n' all.

One fun trick I've always found useful when confronted with burglars. I would put all the party loot in one bag of holding and replace it with the bag of devouring each night. Awakening to the sound of thieves screaming for their lives as the bag swallows them is role playing gold.

One other thing to note is that the bag consumes the body of the creature inside but leaves all of their gear intact, after which there is a 5% chance each round that the gear gets spit out to another plane. You can then empty the contents using a small construct (homunculus come to mind) since the bag only devours flesh.

Metahuman1
2014-01-22, 05:06 PM
I think that's what he's here to determine.

Personally, maybe improvised weapon you've taken proficiency with?

Osiris
2014-01-22, 05:07 PM
Dwarf is fine, but you should be a wizard, and do the following
1 cast launch object on the bag, propelling at your foe
2 cast mage hand on the bag to close it from afar.

Depending on level, you can quicken the Mage Hand. It will seem stupid, until you use it like so.

Do note that this is a suggestion, but it would be an effective strategy IMO

Yomega
2014-01-22, 05:40 PM
I would recommend you look at the portable hole a 6 ft hole is alot easyer to fit some one in.

From the SRD.
Portable Hole

A portable hole is a circle of cloth spun from the webs of a phase spider interwoven with strands of ether and beams of starlight. When opened fully, a portable hole is 6 feet in diameter, but it can be folded up to be as small as a pocket handkerchief. When spread upon any surface, it causes an extradimensional space 10 feet deep to come into being. This hole can be picked up from inside or out by simply taking hold of the edges of the cloth and folding it up. Either way, the entrance disappears, but anything inside the hole remains.

The only air in the hole is that which enters when the hole is opened. It contains enough air to supply one Medium creature or two Small creatures for 10 minutes. The cloth does not accumulate weight even if its hole is filled. Each portable hole opens on its own particular nondimensional space. If a bag of holding is placed within a portable hole, a rift to the Astral Plane is torn in that place. Both the bag and the cloth are sucked into the void and forever lost. If a portable hole is placed within a bag of holding, it opens a gate to the Astral Plane. The hole, the bag, and any creatures within a 10-foot radius are drawn there, the portable hole and bag of holding being destroyed in the process.

Moderate conjuration; CL 12th; Craft Wondrous Item, plane shift; Price 20,000 gp.

sarrsharo
2014-01-22, 06:04 PM
The general reason I chose Bag of Holding over the cursed item version is because I want the captured enemies to suffocate rather than be eaten.
Plus, I wanted to roleplay a deranged Santa Claus character that rewards good children with hand crafted toys, and sneaks onto rooftops at night and dumps corpses from his Bag down the chimneys of bad children.
..I'm a bad person.

Rubik
2014-01-22, 06:13 PM
There should be a PrC for this and for fighting with portable holes.

Call it the Master of Holes.

sarrsharo
2014-01-22, 08:58 PM
There should be a PrC for this and for fighting with portable holes.

Call it the Master of Holes.

Absolutely.

I really just want to know how it would function in combat and how to improve it, or alternative abilities to assist him.

LibraryOgre
2014-01-22, 09:05 PM
Can't a bag of holding be ruptured from the inside with a slashing weapon?

Rubik
2014-01-22, 09:11 PM
Can't a bag of holding be ruptured from the inside with a slashing weapon?Which then results in the rupturee being lost forever, I think.

Cruiser1
2014-01-22, 09:15 PM
kidnapping enemies by throwing a Bag of Holding over their head, closing it, and waiting the required 10-15 minutes before their air runs out and they die.
Two potential problems:

1: If "sharp objects pierce it (from inside or outside), the bag ruptures and is ruined. All contents are lost forever." A person inside the bag can stab it with a knife, or even just rip the inside wall with their teeth. It isn't defined what "all contents are lost forever" means, and if that kills a person inside, or just dumps them on a random place on the Astral plane.

2: If a person is placed inside and the bag is closed, they will indeed suffocate, however there's nothing that says they can't just open the bag from the inside and crawl out. You'd have to hold the bag closed with a STR check to be sure. That's another reason why the Portable Hole is better, since it can be rolled up, which is presumably harder to open from the inside (although again there's nothing that says it can't be opened from the inside either).

Clistenes
2014-01-22, 09:22 PM
Buy a hundred Bags of Holding I: 250,000 gp.
Buy a Dragonsking Bag of Grendel and put all the Bag of Holding inside it: 18,000
Buy an Enveloping Pit: 3,600 gp
The look of your DM when you order your skeleton slave to drop the Dragonsking Bag into Enveloping Pit once you have teleported out of the room and the Astral Rift swallows the whole Waterdeep, sending all of its inhabitants screaming to the Silver Void: Priceless. :smallbiggrin:

(unless he's a douchebag and backs off from his previous houserule, claiming that the diameter of the Astral Rift grows aritmetically instead of geometrically) :smallfurious:

(truth to be told, if he had done it our way, we would have destroyed the whole Crystal Sphere) :smallcool:

(but the 666 yards wide rift to the Astral Plane was cool too; the Masked Lord's palace crashed against a dead god) :smalltongue:

Rubik
2014-01-22, 09:34 PM
Buy a mirror of opposition and find a shaper psion 5/metamind 10 willing to be hired out for the day. Dig out a 5'x10'x5' pit and mount the mirror along one wall, covered in a sheet and separate half of the pit from the other half. Convince the psion to use his actions to fill one side of the pit with quintessence, using Temporal Reiteration to extend font of power until he's finished. Stuff someone holding the bag of holding in one hand above his head into the other half of the pit, cover the pit with a tarp, and yank off the sheet on the mirror. The oppositional twin will appear fully immersed in the quintessence with the bag held above his head within easy reach. Fish out the spare bag of holding and use it as your weapon. Once your foe is bagged up, stab the bag with something pointy. Then kill the evil clone without disturbing the quintessence much by readying a Save or Die touch spell oriented toward the clone's worst save, reaching into the quintessence, and scraping off a single ounce of quintessence. Repeat.

unseenmage
2014-01-22, 09:53 PM
In the Dust/Sand thread in my sig using a dust/sand filled Bag of Holding to suffocate your enemies. Might still help for your purposes, a drowning enemy isn't as likely to think of stabbing or slashing their way to freedom.

Just a thought.

pbdr
2014-01-22, 11:12 PM
So, in desperation, as they are suffocating, a trapped anything is going to pierce the bag from the inside and ruin it, making it a single use item.

Rubik
2014-01-23, 12:01 AM
So, in desperation, as they are suffocating, a trapped anything is going to pierce the bag from the inside and ruin it, making it a single use item.That's why I added my suggestion, so you'd have disposable bags.

dragonkingofthe
2014-01-23, 12:07 AM
Designing a sort of joke character with the premise of a male Dwarf (Or possibly Human) whose main form of combat is essentially kidnapping enemies by throwing a Bag of Holding over their head, closing it, and waiting the required 10-15 minutes before their air runs out and they die.

so basically your want to play Candlejack only as a dwa-

Jon_Dahl
2014-01-23, 01:02 AM
You could cover the inside of the bag with a thin adamantine sheeting. It adds a bit of weight, it costs a lot and it's hard to work inside the bag for extended periods, but it can be done.

ericgrau
2014-01-23, 01:44 AM
Which then results in the rupturee being lost forever, I think.

But does the desperate weapon wielding victim know that? And even if he does know it, if he's going to die anyway he may as well take a large chunk of money from his killer with him.

That's why I added my suggestion, so you'd have disposable bags.
That's a bit of a nuclear solution, in that it could also be used to create infinite anything. Why stop at bags when you can have the world?

sarrsharo
2014-01-23, 02:59 PM
Alright, great. I think we've got a lot of interesting ideas floating around now.

Now what are some ideas on how combat would function with using a Bag of Holding or Bag of Devouring?

sideswipe
2014-01-23, 03:01 PM
bag of holding and portable hole arrow. best weapon in the game.

Rubik
2014-01-23, 03:06 PM
I never got around to doing it because Tippy scrapped the challenge, but my monk (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15474863#post15474863) intended on sucking the souls from the elder evils he killed using a thinaun ring (in order to use them in lieu of XP components for spells), and dispose of the Worm That Walks by drowning it in a portable hole full of water and Zargon by shoving his horn in a bag of holding and lacerating it.

Maginomicon
2014-01-23, 03:19 PM
I would recommend you look at the portable hole a 6 ft hole is alot easyer to fit some one in.
I recall there's a bug-catching pole-net you can use like a weapon. Take out the net itself, replace with a sheet of wood. Attach the portable hole to the sheet and activate it. When you're done capturing, close or cover up the opening.

Rubik
2014-01-23, 03:21 PM
I like filling up a portable hole or bag of holding with quintessence and shoving enemies (or summons, or dying allies) in to hold in stasis for later.

That, or shoving them in the container, closing it, and coating the container itself in quintessence. Or maybe just the lid or the seal thereof, since the rest of the container can be pre-coated for convenience.