PDA

View Full Version : Artificer Inventions

maniacalmojo
2014-01-22, 06:12 PM
Want to create some neat fun contraptions for my goblin artificer. Was wondering who has played one before and what neat things they create?

maniacalmojo
2014-01-22, 06:14 PM
Side note: Is there any cheap way of having a portable room with me that i can store my stuff into?

Lightlawbliss
2014-01-22, 06:17 PM
create food and water traps

wish traps

continuous delay death

at will heart of water/earth/fire/air

at will Celestial Brilliance for every room you ever stay in, graveyard you visit, or dungeon that has a very large "object" running through it (like a solid stone wall)

Zombulian
2014-01-22, 06:22 PM
There's a feat called "Wedded to History" in Dragon Magazine 354. Stemming from that feat is a feat called Packrat, which lets you put aside 10gp/ECL and simply assume you have supplies within that much money. It's pretty fun when you can be the trinket mage (fine, Artificer I guess) who always has the right thing for the job.

Edit: I realize it doesn't really help with inventions, unless by invention you mean taking string and a clothing hanger inexplicably out of your backpack and making a small contraption with that.

Big Fau
2014-01-22, 06:31 PM
Side note: Is there any cheap way of having a portable room with me that i can store my stuff into?

The Enveloping Pit would fit the bill.

maniacalmojo
2014-01-22, 06:44 PM
The Enveloping Pit would fit the bill.

That seems to be a more expensive portable hole..

Big Fau
2014-01-22, 07:17 PM
That seems to be a more expensive portable hole..

The MiC version is cheaper and 5 times bigger than a Portable Hole, what version are you looking at?

SoraWolf7
2014-01-24, 01:48 AM
What are you looking to build and/or what things do you need to make?

I had an artificer who made his own weapon, which was a combination revolver rifle/lance, and he also made a steam-powered motorcycle which was founded on magic.

I've also heard of artificers making spring-loaded chainsaws. So again, with artificers, if you can explain/draw it out for your DM and explain it with physics/magic, you win.

unseenmage
2014-01-24, 05:05 AM
Effigies from IIRC Complete Arcane are awesome.

Using the 'Constructs are Magic Items' rules interpretation allows you to modify a Construct as though it were a Magic Item. This lets you combine the Construct with other Magic Items as well.

There's also the Spellsong Nightingale (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070115a) with Create Water + Water to Acid (St) for infinite wealth, and Elation (BoED) + Distilled Joy (BoED) for infinite craft xp trick. Warning this is cheese and shouldn't be used.
Though Runic Guardians from MM2 work for this too.